Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handgun Vault or Safe for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed out my lock to the new 4 dial knob and removed the handle. The new dial is different than most I’ve seen. It free spins even when the correct pin is entered unless you push the button in.
D436DB2B-29CB-46CA-888F-A2C5E0892B05.jpeg

I changed out my lock to the new 4 dial knob and removed the handle. The new dial is different than most I’ve seen. It free spins even when the correct pin is entered unless you push the button in. View attachment 807928
Hello, I have a model 3, pre-refresh. I'm looking at this safe to meet CA requirements which specify that you cannot use the glove box and that the locked container must be out of plain sight.

How difficult was the install.

Currently I am using the hidden taptes or Jeda storage compartment to hold the senty camera / Dash camera storage space. I was thinking to perhaps drill a hole in this safe to pass a USB cable through it and attach the drive to a wall in the safe.

I don't think there is enough room under the seats in the 3 for a typical lockbox and cable.

Thanks.

Hello, I have a model 3, pre-refresh. I'm looking at this safe to meet CA requirements which specify that you cannot use the glove box and that the locked container must be out of plain sight.

Currently I am using the hidden taptes or Jeda storage compartment to hold the senty camera / Dash camera storage space. I was thinking to perhaps drill a hole in this safe to pass a USB cable through it and attach the drive to a wall in the safe.

I don't think there is enough room under the seats in the 3 for a typical lockbox and cable.

Thanks.
You are correct, you cannot use a glove box in CA.

It does not have to be out of plain sight, it just has to be kept in a locked container.

The installation is super easy. I created a video where I did an unboxing and installation.

In the description, I left a code for 10% off also. This will only fit the Model 3 (pre-refresh center console).

Thanks.
Many homeless drug users I've come across have small bolt cutters for stealing bikes. I wouldn't trust putting a box under the seat secured with a cable. This safe should be enough to encourage them to move on to the next car.

It does not have to be out of plain sight, it just has to be kept in a locked container.

The installation is super easy. I created a video where I did an unboxing and installation.

In the description, I left a code for 10% off also. This will only fit the Model 3 (pre-refresh center console).
I beleive they changed the requirements in 2017, it used to be that the container could not be part of the car, which brought up the question. If you bolt something to the car is it now part of the car? So they used to say to only use safes with cable lock (stupid law but whatever). So they revised the law to allow locked contrainers to be affixed to the vehicle.

New laws [PC 25140] went into effect on 01-01-2017.

Penal Code 25140
(a) A person shall, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle, lock the handgun in the vehicle’s trunk, lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, or lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view.

I think the law still prohibits the use of a utility compartment, so i am unclear if putting a safe holding a firearm inside a utlity compartment complies with the law. Or maybe it does, but only if your not transporting it that way. Or maybe it does but only if it's for your CCW register weapon and not another firearm.
IDK. It's more difficult to be legal than to do something wrong.

I beleive they changed the requirements in 2017, it used to be that the container could not be part of the car, which brought up the question. If you bolt something to the car is it now part of the car? So they used to say to only use safes with cable lock (stupid law but whatever). So they revised the law to allow locked contrainers to be affixed to the vehicle.

New laws [PC 25140] went into effect on 01-01-2017.

Penal Code 25140
(a) A person shall, when leaving a handgun in an unattended vehicle, lock the handgun in the vehicle’s trunk, lock the handgun in a locked container and place the container out of plain view, or lock the handgun in a locked container that is permanently affixed to the vehicle’s interior and not in plain view.

I think the law still prohibits the use of a utility compartment, so i am unclear if putting a safe holding a firearm inside a utlity compartment complies with the law. Or maybe it does, but only if your not transporting it that way. Or maybe it does but only if it's for your CCW register weapon and not another firearm.
IDK. It's more difficult to be legal than to do something wrong.
I think the DA would argue that while a glovebox can be locked and considered to be permanently affixed it does not satisfy the out of plain view requirement. I’ll have to remember to ask for the current interpretation by OCSD during my next renewal.

I think the DA would argue that while a glovebox can be locked and considered to be permanently affixed it does not satisfy the out of plain view requirement. I’ll have to remember to ask for the current interpretation by OCSD during my next renewal.
I posed on calguns and they said locked container and locked compartment are different things so it's ok to put a locked container in the utility compartment. It's just illegal to use the glovebox or utility compartment on their own even if they lock.

Clear as mud right?

Reactions: rijc99

"16850.

As used in this part, “locked container” means

a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device."
I think this safe imight not be legal in California as it does not fully enclose the firearm. And the Utility compartment itself does not count. But I'm not sure if it counts or not to be honest. I mean the container is fully enclosed after being bolted to the car, but only if you count the utility compartment, which isn't supposed to count?

I'm so foncused still.

Another Option $26.39
61X8hj2YUNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Does that fit under the seat?

Nope can't use the glovebox as a locked container when your not in the car, law specifically prohibits the glovebox and utility compartments.

Of course if you put it in a locked container that was affixed to the vehicle and inside the glove box, then you would be ok with it for storage purposes when leaving the car (maybe to go into a prohibited building) and I think this would work for transport of a registered ccw too, or unloaded non ccw (i'd have to look into that).

Status
Not open for further replies.