TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Handheld Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by YoteDown, Nov 7, 2013.

1. YoteDown

YoteDown Member

Anyone with an S considering carrying a fire extinguisher onboard? Just to have a little extra insurance. When I was younger it was a must have in the VW bugs I drove. What kind would be required to put out a battery fire? Chemical one I suppose?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Do you carry a fire extinguisher in your ICE car? There are about 500 ICE car fires PER DAY in the U.S. They don't make the news because they're so common.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yes, but I wouldn't say most people do. I think Tesla recommends water anyway, so it would only be helpful for superficial stuff like "I put hot coals in the frunk and it's smoking, now what?"

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Waste of time IMHO. In the highly unlikely event of a pack fire, you won't be able to put it out with an extinguisher. Get safely outta the car and call 911 and your insurance company.

An extinguisher would be more useful for an ICE vehicle, if a small engine fire starts you might be able to put it out before the car gets completely involved.

5. Mark Petersen

Mark Petersen Model S EU P71

well I needed one last week, as I was driving home late night, I passed a car that just had pulled over with black smoke coming out the front
    could probably have saved it, but did not have one

6. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

I've kept a fire extinguisher in my 1998 GMC Jimmy ever since my parents' 1991 Lincoln Towncar decided to set itself on fire. (Hmm, I don't have one in our Prius - I should!)

A friend of mine recently suggested a technique for putting out ICE fires: 1) Don't open the hood! 2) Put the nozzle of fire extinguisher directly up against the radiator/grille, and blast it in that way. Seems like a good idea.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

No extinguisher for me. Extra weight and extra space for a highly unlikely probability that insurance would cover anyway.

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

If you are worried about a pack fire, don't bother. A hand held fire extinguisher is going to be little better than standing on the bonnet and peeing on the fire. To put out a pack fire, you need to cool down the pack, and that requires a _lot_ of water.

If you are worried about other smaller fires, or helping out others, than any of the usual small automotive style ones should be fine.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#9 brianman, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Based on what? I've never had a fire extinguisher in any of my vehicles. I suspect I'm in the majority on this one. (Perhaps foolishly.)

BTW, in contrast, every one of my vehicles has a dedicated set of jumper cables always in the vehicle. Until Model S.

10. GDH

GDH Banned

No but I am getting a break glass hammer for car glass. They sell them at The Container Store for $15

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This is actually a very important point. A lot of people would automatically open the hood, which is a great way to singe off your hair. It will accelerate the fire dramatically by adding gobs of oxygen. Shooting in through the grille is the correct procedure.

12. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

No thanks! In the event of a vehicle fire, I will run like hell. I will let the fire department tackle the flames.

13. Mark R

Mark R Member

Yes, I carry a small fire extinguisher. When the news of the first fire broke, a snarky colleague at work left a fire extinguisher on my desk anonymously. So, I thought, "Hey! Free fire extinguisher! " I kept it and put it in the trunk. Doubt I would have bought one on my own... but what the heck, it was free!

14. YoteDown

YoteDown Member

I carry a pocket knife with break glass on the end. Always a good idea to have.

15. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Side-rant: Dumb laws in Hong Kong. If you buy a fire extinguisher, you are then legally obligated to pay a fire inspector to come round and look at it once a year, place a sticker on it, and file a report with the fire department. If you don't file the report, or get the inspection done, it is a criminal offence. If you don't buy the fire extinguisher in the first place, you have no legal obligations. Go figure.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Yep. OP can do the simple math from numbers at Highway vehicle fires
    . At least the numbers have come down a lot. It used to be over 1200/day, on average.

17. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

It's a good thing you didn't stop. your picture would have ended up on the internet with a caption like "Telsa driver puts out car fire". the grainy picture would be taken at such a distance and strange angle to make it look like it was your car.
    best bet is to keep driving.

18. swon

swon Member

I have one of those combo emergency tools that has a glass break hammer & a seatbelt cutter, similar to this one: (I keep it in the glove compartment)

http://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Breaker-Emergency-Escape-Tool/dp/B002AMAXNA/

I also keep a small automotive fire extinguisher in the trunk, because you never know, although I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to that. I did look at the canned aerosol spray cans ("extinguisher in a can"), but the reviews say they are not reliable in terms of actually working when it comes time to use them, so I just have a small automotive version (some come with a trunk-mount bracket). I also have one of those pre-made roadside duffel bags from Walmart, they go for about fifty bucks and have a flashlight, jumper cables, first-aid kid, and so on. Small price to pay for some piece of mind, and you can help out your buddies or strangers when they get stuck in a bad situation if needed.

19. Navi

Navi Member

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

While true, a battery fire isn't an electrical file, it's a chemical fire. Basically, you have to let it burn itself out and cool it down to prevent it from catching nearby objects on fire.