Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handicapped & EV stations - WA law?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems nutty to expect people to figure that out. What do they do, drive around and count the number of stalls??? I'll post a picture of an example tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about the parking space, but that's one nice multi-coat cherry red S!

Yeah, nice color. Who ever owns that car should be proud...

Last edited:
Seems nutty to expect people to figure that out. What do they do, drive around and count the number of stalls??? I'll post a picture of an example tomorrow.
I agree with your updated post. There's probably little to no spots that exist that are designated as "shared" EV + accessible spaces (#5 in your example). I'm not sure there's even a way to designate this without making the space seem like a handicap only space (maybe use a different handicap symbol or text only?).

And even in the case where you happen to come to a facility with more the required accessible spaces, depending on your local law, you may still be ticketed or towed for parking in a handicap space anyways (regardless of the EV sign and the facility meeting the minimum count without including the space you parked in). I was about to point out also that it's impractical to expect people to do a count of the stalls themselves, so combined with the legal issue above, the only practical way for a shared spot is for it to be clearly marked as such.

Here's an example of what I was talking about. 2 EVSEs, left one is accessible right one is (thus) inaccessible. No signs other than the Reserved Parking sign and stall markings. This appears to be an exclusive accessible charger. Note that there are no EVSE signs, not sure what that's about.
scc chargers.jpg

I agree with your updated post. There's probably little to no spots that exist that are designated as "shared" EV + accessible spaces (#5 in your example). I'm not sure there's even a way to designate this without making the space seem like a handicap only space (maybe use a different handicap symbol or text only?).

And even in the case where you happen to come to a facility with more the required accessible spaces, depending on your local law, you may still be ticketed or towed for parking in a handicap space anyways (regardless of the EV sign and the facility meeting the minimum count without including the space you parked in). I was about to point out also that it's impractical to expect people to do a count of the stalls themselves, so combined with the legal issue above, the only practical way for a shared spot is for it to be clearly marked as such.

Right. If the spot has the "international symbol of access" a non-accessible placarded vehicle can't park there. Even if there are more than the legally required number of accessible spaces.

The extra accessible/EV space would have to have text that doesn't use the symbol that explains who can use the space... But then you run into the problem in some states, I guess including Washington if I read the law correctly, that a vehicle can't park in an EV space unless it's actively charging -- so... if you want a shared accessible / EV space, you can't use any of the standard signage.

Here's an example of what I was talking about. 2 EVSEs, left one is accessible right one is (thus) inaccessible. No signs other than the Reserved Parking sign and stall markings. This appears to be an exclusive accessible charger. Note that there are no EVSE signs, not sure what that's about.
View attachment 25299

Ick.

In this case, it looks like an accessible spot on the left that happens to have EV charging. The space on the right looks like a spot open to any vehicle that also happens to have EV charging.

Ick.

In this case, it looks like an accessible spot on the left that happens to have EV charging. The space on the right looks like a spot open to any vehicle that also happens to have EV charging.

I wish they install those chargers with a long cable in between those 2 spots. I get that some handicapped person may want to charge their EV. I think it's totally fair. but that should not exclude others from using chargers, if that charger is not being used. If they have installed in between, more folks could have used it, even when a non-EV car is parked at handicap space.

I wish they install those chargers with a long cable in between those 2 spots. I get that some handicapped person may want to charge their EV. I think it's totally fair. but that should not exclude others from using chargers, if that charger is not being used. If they have installed in between, more folks could have used it, even when a non-EV car is parked at handicap space.

Yes, true. Worse, the space to the left is an "accessible" space also.

Yes, add me to that wish. A handicapped person ought to have access to a charging pedestal, but not exclusive access.

I think the site pictured would present a dilemma to a fair minded handicapped person. If he needs a charge, then he ought to use it, but I'll bet he would feel a bit bad about "hogging" an EVSE, even though legally no one else can use it.

In my city (Tempe, AZ), there is a municipal ordinance that mandates that any time a publicly-accessible EV station is installed, it, or another one must be ADA (American Disabilities Act) compliant. I.e. if a Blink station is installed in a parking lot, either it needs to be adjacent to and accessible by a handicap parking spot OR a second Blink station must be installed as such. It is why in Tempe, you will usually see Blink stations installed in pairs (or greater) and at least one of which will be set up next to a handicap space and be of the shorter-pedestal type.

And no, just because a handicap space is set up with an EV station does not mean that ANYONE with an EV can use it. It is still restricted for people with disabilities.

Interestingly, we also have the ordinance here that says only EVs are allowed to park in EV spots (though it doesnt restrict it to actively charging EVs).

The Ecotality folks said this combination of laws made planning installs difficult. They complied by putting short pedestal stations between a handicap and regular parking space and usually only noting the non-handicap space as an EV spot. Thus, any disabled person could use the handicap space, but if they happen to have an EV, they could still potentially use the station.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about ecotality's approach - why not make all pedestals ADA compliant? I don't have a problem using the ADA version (and I'm "normal") so why bother with 2 types?

Accessible Exclusive EVSEs are just plain stupid. I like Ecotality's approach but they didn't do that in the picture I posted above. The ADA pedestal is in an AE space with no normal non-EVSE space close enough.

By the way, from my observation, the vast majority of people with the handicap placard are not wheelchair bound. Anyone know of a report with statistics on this topic?