Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handle issue for non tech package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got my ms 85 today and noticed that handles stay locked in, and wont present when i push on the handle when i walk up with key fob in pocket. only works if i use fob to unlock doors, then handles present. asked my service advisor and he didnt know either. my understanding was that non tech package wouldnt present handles, but once i pushed them they would come out. let me know your thoughts and if this is something i need to get fixed. thanks.

I have a non-tech 60kWh and the handles present when pushed as long as the key fob is in my pocket. Interestingly enough, I was at the Tampa SC for an unrelated issue and saw someone picking up their new red 40kWh without the tech package. His handles wouldn't present without pressing the key fob. The service tech told him that it must be a tech only feature, which I thought was strange because of my experience. I pointed out to them that my handles present upon pressing and everyone just sort of shrugged their shoulders. Sounds like a glitch in the software.

presence of fob seems finicky, for those with the tech package (I do), often walking up to the car does not extend the handles. If you try pressing them, they're not going to open. pressing the unlock button the fob will get them to present, then they work. So i'd guess the issue is just that the passive fob signaling is weak.

Maybe compare between walking up from the front of the car and the rear of the car. Walking up via front seems more reliable than rear for me.

presence of fob seems finicky, for those with the tech package (I do), often walking up to the car does not extend the handles.

I've found this only to be a problem when I'm hanging around the car (like at shows) or on the passenger's side. In both cases, pressing the handle works.

I have the tech package, but for the most part have "Auto Present" off and just tap to extend the handles. On more than one occasion, it hasn't worked (even with the fob in the designated spot at the bottom of the windshield) and I've had to unlock by pressing the fob button. A re-boot of the 17" display has cleared the issue up for me.

Ok just got the scoop from ownership experience and engineering team. Apparently for VIN's just shy of 10,000 TM stopped making the "passive entry" features for non-tech packages. meaning you have to push fob to unlock, it wont recognize you and let you do the one touch entry to present handles. its both hardware and software they have to install, and non-tech owners with VIN's less than 10,000 got the one touch / passive entry for free. disappointing because this feature was advertised and listed on my specs when I ordered, but at some point in the build process they changed the specs and didnt notify or compensate. not the end of the world, but disappointing TM does this without informing or compensating for not including what they advertised would be.

On another note, after a day and a good amount of driving the car has been awesome with no issues. did a thorough review of paint looking for any damage / nicks and found nothing. paint armor still has bubbles and definitely wouldnt recommend b/c the hood looks terrible with the line, even on a black car. supposedly bubbles go away after a few days.

I have the tech package, but for the most part have "Auto Present" off and just tap to extend the handles. On more than one occasion, it hasn't worked (even with the fob in the designated spot at the bottom of the windshield) and I've had to unlock by pressing the fob button. A re-boot of the 17" display has cleared the issue up for me.

Ok just got the scoop from ownership experience and engineering team. Apparently for VIN's just shy of 10,000 TM stopped making the "passive entry" features for non-tech packages. meaning you have to push fob to unlock, it wont recognize you and let you do the one touch entry to present handles. its both hardware and software they have to install, and non-tech owners with VIN's less than 10,000 got the one touch / passive entry for free.

Mine is a 60 w no Tech and mine will present with one touch, even if the FOB is in my house. I am baffled as to why they would remove that feature, seems like it would just be standard, touch the handle, it comes out if the FOB is within range. Love the car, love all the features.

Occasionally, my tech will not present or push handle present even with the fob close. Pressing the fob twice restores the functions to tap present or auto for variable amounts of time and then it will start not presenting again. Seems random and unrelated to time, weather, charging, etc.

It is possible that, as others have said, resetting your screens will change the car to walk up tap handle/present mode without requiring use of the FOB. I would not rely on ownership statements about features as sometimes they don't really know and may overstate/understate what is actually going on. Please reset, try again, and let us know. It is also possible that the new handle design doesn't support the old feature and ownership may be right but not have stated the right reason (new handles vs. we removed the feature due to X vs. older non-techs got the feature but weren't supposed to).

Mine is a 60 w no Tech and mine will present with one touch, even if the FOB is in my house. I am baffled as to why they would remove that feature, seems like it would just be standard, touch the handle, it comes out if the FOB is within range. Love the car, love all the features.

Well, that's not good. How far away in your house is the fob? (Someone could actually get in your car and drive it away if it's sensing the fob nearby).