TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Handles still an issue?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by russman, Dec 4, 2014.

1. russman

russman Member

I know early cars had issues with the door handles. My car was delivered 03/14 and I thought it was late enough to have the issues ironed out, but upon initial delivery my front passenger door would not open consistently. That had to go in twice to get fixed.

Recently my rear passenger door just started opening when the car unlocks so I need to take the car in again.

This will be my 6th visit to the service center to work on issues. It's about a 2 week wait for the next appointment, so I have to deal with reaching to the back of the car to close the door that pops open.

At least they are friendly about it, but makes me worry about costs after warranty. I would prefer not to have to take my car in for these warranty issue, glad customer service is great, but would prefer things to be working.

Anyone else with 2014 cars and door handle issues?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

No door handle issues with my Dec 2014 S.

3. Zextraterrestrial

not a 2014 but since my '12 had all 2014 handles put in I haven't had any problems

4. LucM

LucM Member

No issue with my Sept 2014 S.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

My October '14 S has been flawless. Zero issues whatsoever in over 3,000 miles. And I know what to look for, since I had plenty of issues with my Dec '12 S.

The improvement in reliability of systems such as the door handles compared to my first Tesla is huge.

6. Zeani

Zeani Member

I have a Sept 2014 S, and handles occasionally won't extend on their own, requiring me to unlock via the key button, but I've never had issues with the door not opening or the doors opening on their own.

7. Knobby

Knobby Member

I have an April 2004 delivery, and so far no problems with the handles.

8. Todd Burch

In case you weren't aware, if the car's been sitting unused for over 24 hours, The handle auto-extend feature is disabled and you have to use your FOB button to extend the handles.

9. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I've only had one issue with the handles on my August 2013 delivery. Once time the passenger side rear door handle got stuck in the out position. You could hear the motor continuously trying to push the handle out even though it was out already. Drove around like that for half a day until I had a chance to stop by the service center. They reset something (I think they pulled the fuse for the handles and put it back) and it cleared up the issue. Only happened that one time.

10. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

No issues on my Jan '13 S after they replaced all of the door handles a year and a half ago.

11. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Yup, same here. Had all handles replaced this summer. Issue persists.

Not in my case. It often occurs when I'm in the garage doing work or getting the car packed and ready. Always works the first time, but after walking backing to the car (w/ door handles retracted), they fail to extend on the 2nd or 3rd time. Pushing the handle has no effect. I have to reach into my pocket for the fob.

12. Zeani

Zeani Member

Huh, had no idea. Good to know, thanks!

13. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

that's not true with mine... It was parked in a friend's garage for 4 days, handles auto presented when I went to leave.

14. Todd Burch

It's in the manual...not sure what to say about your situation. You sure the friend didn't take it for a ride earlier in the day? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, me too-almost. If walking near the car several times causes the handles to auto extend and the doors are not opened, The auto-extend no longer works after maybe the 2nd or 3rd auto-extension. I believe that is intended behavior. My thinking is that the logic is: "well, I tried to extend a few times and nobody was interested in opening a door, so to save on mechanical wear I'll just stop extending."

Although in my case pushing on the handle will cause them to extend.

15. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Were you checking in on it with the App or Visible Tesla? Those pings will wake it up and reset the 24 hour timer, I believe.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My March, 2013 car had all 4 handles replaced. I still have the odd problem with the left rear handle. About 1 time in 10 when I pull on it, nothing happens and it "snaps" back into the door, then re-extends. The second time the door will open. Unfortunately, it is always on its best behavior when its in for service.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I have an early S85 and had to have my handles replaced/fixed fairly early on and they have, for the most part, been normally functioning. A month or so ago I did have the passenger door handle spontaneously extend, but I don't believe the door opened. NO recurrances.

18. muleferg

muleferg Member

Delivered March, 2014. No issues with doors.

19. Kalud

Kalud Member

No issue with my handles since delivery in November last year.

20. Owner

Owner Active Member

My doors were haunted when I first got the car. But that was in early 2013. Haven't had a problem now in over a year.

The new door handle design has been much more robust.

check out my blog if you want more details.