Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handles still an issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had several door handle issues early on and they replaced two of the door handles. Later on, I had the same issue you reference where the door actually opens when unlocking with the key fob. In my case, the car was parked in a parking garage and the valet damaged the open door on a pole. Since it was intermittent it was hard to show them at the service center so I started videotaping the unlocking on my car and finally got it on camera. When I proved that it was happening they went back into the logs and confirmed that it had been happening. They replaced the handle and fixed the door as well. Since then, no problems.

I have a May 2013 build and have had only one issue with my handles. About 6 weeks into ownership, the passenger side handles failed to extend. Fix was easy -- opened the frunk to access the fuse boxes and I makde sure all the fuses were properly seated. A couple were a bit loose and I haven't had that problem recur....

Same age as mine. Do you have the Gen 1 handles that have no "play" when you pull on them to open the doors? I had thought Tesla was proactively replacing all of those. That's what they told me when they replaced all 4 of mine.

I still have all four of the no-play ones. One is now at the point where on hot days it opens when the handles extend and on cold days it doesn't open. I suppose they'll replace it, but I'd rather have them adjust it so that all handles look consistent.

My car is in and got a BMW 3 loaner. Gave them a laundry list of little things and hopefully they can resolve them. I'm sure the door handle ones is easy for them, but for a 2014 car having 2 of the 4 with issues is a little bummer for me. I do thank you earlier adopters for helping with these issues. I would have been one of the earlier adopters, but decided to keep pushing out my purchase of the car till most were resolved.

Still the best car I've driven and the customer service has always been top, but like many, how long can this last and what happens after warranty.... Anyone know how much a door handle costs to replace? Would be good to get a list of costs.... what's really covered in the battery and the drivetrain warranty?

I've had an issue with the driver side door handle where a number of times, soon after opening the driver side door and stepping out of the car, I push the door closed by the driver's door handle and it "pushes in" too fast as I push on it… as if my pressing on it causes it to begin to actually retract… in fact it has retracted onto my hand a couple times (as if pushing on the handle has triggered the retraction motor) but I know the spring is not strong enough to cause any injury… just a bit disconcerting to have it "push in / retract" a bit too quickly.

Has anyone else had this and what is the fix?

Ok I know that most people just "shove the door closed" by grasping the door panel itself or the edge of the door… but you know how it is with a brand new car I just didn't want to put my hands on the paint too much if I could help it so I was closing it by pushing on the handle… it seems like normally the handle is "stiff enough" to easily allow you to close the door that way, but maybe it's not really designed for that, since it's a motor / servo that pushes the handles out??

I picked up the car in late Nov. and I absolutely love the car despite a couple minor niggles… I will be bringing it in at the end of the month to have steering wheel alignment "flattened" or made fully horizontal when driving straight… as it is it's just a bit off to the right, right now.

There's also a minor fit-and-finish issue with a bit of driver's side door trim that looks like it should be more firmly attached.

I also have had a few odd rattles here and there, but who doesn't (*if you listen close enough* ;) -- almost *any* car will rattle in some way at some times).. I mean the car is generally silent most of the time, and rides great... *all* cars rattle some under certain conditions / road surfaces / bumps / temperatures / etc., but anyway, the car is 99% perfect and I really have no complaints at all.

It is absolutely awesome and completely blows me away and pretty much anyone I ever take for a ride. :)

Thanks for any thoughts...

Got the car back and in usual Tesla form, things are much better. They did a couple other extra items as I had a laundry list of items.

- replaced door handle and updated firmware
- I had v1 floor mats, and a while back got v2 floor mats, but the felt pads would come off. They now installed what they are referring to as v3 floormats.
- they noticed my 14-50 adapter was an old one and replaced it.
- I complained about big streak in the middle of the driver wiper, they replaced both blades and it's great.
- Fixed my creaking in the dashboard again.
- fixed the rear applique for moisture
- replaced antenna for keyfob after seeing that one of the antennas didn't respond
- Updated my firmware to another 6.0 version (I forgot to check.)
- rotated my tires
- courtesy inspection, pulled the logs, didn't see anything wrong.
- lubed the frunk

FYI, on the sheet it says labor $175 per hour.

I had a BMW loaner and boy am I glad I'm back in my Tesla.

So I've always said, it's how people take care of you after the sale and Tesla continues to deliver. I guess the real question is going to be, how Tesla takes care of you after warranty I guess. I'd prefer not to have these issues, but glad that warranty is getting them taken cared of. I did pre-pay for annual service. I'm in month 8, so 6 visits to the service center is more than I would like, but in this case, we're making progress. Now we just need them to extend warranty service to 8 years unlimited miles too! :)