Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handling S Long Range v Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As best as I can tell from what I can find online, they should handle the same. Do I have that right. 0-60 in 3 seconds is already crazy fast (though that is admittedly with launch mode). It does not seem like the Plaid would be worth it when the long range is already crazy fast. Am I missing something? I can see myself preferring the Porsche Taycan Turbo for handling, but am put off by the much lower range and the much higher price.

As best as I can tell from what I can find online, they should handle the same. Do I have that right. 0-60 in 3 seconds is already crazy fast (though that is admittedly with launch mode). It does not seem like the Plaid would be worth it when the long range is already crazy fast. Am I missing something? I can see myself preferring the Porsche Taycan Turbo for handling, but am put off by the much lower range and the much higher price.
While the advertised range of the Taycan is low, the real world range is significantly higher.

Tesla is the opposite. High rated range and substantially lower real world range.

That said, there is no material difference in handling between the LR and Plaid.

If there is a difference between the Plaid and LR, I doubt you will tell it on the street.

The LR is still pretty quick when compared to most cars other than a Plaid. When I ordered my LR, the price delta between the Plaid and LR was 50k. While I would appreciate the extra quickness of the Plaid, the extra acceleration (and not really much more) wasn't worth the price increase to me.

In performance terms, the Plaid is a hell of a bargain if speed is your primary reason to buy the car. I wanted a comfortable, quick, family sedan and in the LR I got everything I wanted. Unfortunately I now live where I can't really open up the LR enough to enjoy it and a Plaid would be even worse.

If cost no object, and you can unleash it, go with the Plaid. The LR has been an awesome daily driver and no regrets I bought it instead of the Plaid. Hard to go wrong with either of them.

Stability control is standard on all Teslas. Track mode was a late addition to the Plaid. When could order the Plaid originally, it wasn't an option. Here is more about it.

Not that you can't play with it on the street, it is mostly useful for the track. To really enjoy on it on a circuit, upgrade the Plaid's brakes too for $20k.

As you probably know, the Plaid is the fastest production car to exist. Depends how much that matters to you, but I think there is a certain level of prestige that comes with that designation. If none of that matters then save the 💰.
Exactly. I was trading in an RS6 so the values were relatively the same so saved the sales tax. Plus I was able to find a Plaid in about a week. At the time (late Dec 21), a LR was 6+ months out.

Both the plaid and the LR's 0-60 numbers are with launch mode.

The Long Range has more HP and Torque than a Lamborghini Huracan, and accelerates about the same, to put it into perspective.

But if you need faster and have the money, why not go for the Plaid. And handling should be the exact same on the street, Im guesssing in track mode the Plaid may have a bit of an edge?

Many thanks for the feedback. Is there any rule of thumb how the official 0-60 numbers translate to the real world, e.g. add a second or something. Obviously, I need to drive both, can afford both, but lean to the long range. At some point, probably now for the Plaid, cars can get too powerful. In the wrong hands, a Plaid can be dangerous, especially given the lack of a brake upgrade.

Teslas are consistent as heck with one caveat. State of charge has a big influence, especially after 60 mph for most of them. They make outstanding bracket racers with how consistent they are.

From peak charge to about 20% on my model Y, it slowed by about .5 seconds for my 0-60 time. Haven't done my S or 3 to what difference it made.

Almost forgot to add, battery temp makes a HUGE difference. If not warm enough, it will be a lot slower.

Is there any rule of thumb how the official 0-60 numbers translate to the real world, e.g. add a second or something.
In general, you can reasonably expect to see the quoted 0-60 times (or slightly better) on the non-performance models, which for Tesla are quoted w/o the 1-foot rollout. However, the performance models all are quoted *with* 1-foot rollout and in many cases are best-case numbers. What this means is that the difference in 0-60 between performance and non-performance models is not as large as Tesla's numbers suggest. Still, there's no doubt the Plaid is significantly quicker than the MSLR.

From the few 1/4-mile runs I've seen, it appears the MSLR is roughly comparable to a P100D and darn close to the Raven (low 11s, high 10s). The MSLR isn't quite as quick 0-60 as the P100D/Raven but appears to be quicker 60+ and finishes the 1/4-mile with a higher trap than the previous performance models.

Edit: As DayTrippin says, state of charge has a significant impact. You definitely won't get the quoted 0-60 times at 50% SOC or lower.

Reactions: diver110
It’s no where near the fastest production car, but it’s definitely the quickest 0-60 production car.
It was the quickest. The Rimac Nevera beats the Plaid by about a tenth of a second to 60. It is technically "production", though only 150 of them are made, and they fetch close to two million dollars if you are one of the lucky 150 to get to buy one.

Reactions: paulchou
Absolutely what @whenryb said. Total waste to buy those wheels. Go with something like Signature or BC Wheels and get nice, custom, lightweight forged alloy wheels in a wide variety of colors/finishes. You aren't stuck then with going with 19" or 21" wheels as well and can have custom offsets. You can go with 20 or 22's if you want. I decided to split the difference and go with 20's.