Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the most important characteristics (if not THE most important) of a car for me is handling. The electric car torque blastoff is great, but we all live with handling every second. My old BMW M3 still handles well, and for several years I have been waiting to purchase a second-model-year (2017) M2.

Now we have the TM3. I would appreciate any opinions regarding the prospective handling of this car. I’ve test-driven the Model S twice on familiar twisties and, while it handles great for such a big heavy car, it’s not something I would want to own. I do like the flatness of the cornering from the low CG, but it squishes around if pushed.

Please comment on what you believe the TM3 handling quality will be and if necessary perhaps ways to improve it. What are the positives/negatives of the air suspension (if that’s even an option)?

I recognize that the TM3 sedan is not designed to be an M2 coupe, but if can approach the handling of it or even my M3, it would be a completely smash hit as I love the other aspects of the car.

Opinions please.

I'm actually curious about this myself. Driving dynamics is really the most important factor for me. I've always wanted an EV, but not at the expense of performance and handling. Though to be honest, I wouldn't expect the TM3 to reach the handling of any of the BMW M cars. I would be happy with 80% of the driving dynamics of my BMW M-sport 2 series.

Reactions: plug
In one of the drive videos they mentioned the car handles flat and has great center of gravity. They had too give firm suspension to achieve that the guy said. We know TM3 will have perfect weight distribution and that the wheels will be further apart than a combustion car. We also know the car comes with big wheels and low profile tyres. What you need to find out is: Will the duel motor TM3 give power to the out side wheels in a corner when accelerating? as that would greatly improve handling.
Then
What is the weight of the TM3?
If the weight is only 100 kilos more than your BMW M3 the TM3 would have better handing but if the weight is significant more then that say 200 kg + then I'm not to sure anymore.
My concern is more the ride comfort I hope the air suspension option will improve that for me.

I'm actually curious about this myself. Driving dynamics is really the most important factor for me. I've always wanted an EV, but not at the expense of performance and handling. Though to be honest, I wouldn't expect the TM3 to reach the handling of any of the BMW M cars. I would be happy with 80% of the driving dynamics of my BMW M-sport 2 series.
I think that's what the Roadster is for. ;)

Weight will be the primary enemy of handling. The curb weight on my BMW 335i xDrive is 3,710 lbs. My guess is the Model 3 with big battery will be over 4000 lbs. My 2013 Porsche Boxster with an aluminium body came in at 2,888 lb.

Last edited: