Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on (July) 28th!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Link:
Elon Musk on Twitter
index.php

Attachments

• handover.png
    handover.png
    29 KB · Views: 6,096
Last edited by a moderator:
So I'll be the first to say, it sounds like the 30 cars on the 28th are hand-assembled cars. As well as the next 100 in August. Then the M3 production line spools up in September for the next 1500 and increasing from there.
I thought he skipped most of the hand tooling and opted to buy the robotics early? But I agree with what you are saying, we will see the early models. What does this do though for the other vehicles production lines? Does the Model 3 run parallel or do they shut down the other lines to make these?

What does this do though for the other vehicles production lines? Does the Model 3 run parallel or do they shut down the other lines to make these?
The Model 3 production line is completely separate from the S/X line. The 3 line has its own dedicated workers.

@HankLloydRight I agree that the July and August cars will be largely built "by hand" given the volume Elon stated. That just makes sense. The welding robots have to be trained, their work carefully inspected, the line will move very slowly.

The polynomial trend prediction by @Vostok nicely lays out the targeted production ramp. Something around 35,000 to maybe 40,000 Model 3 volume by the end of 2017 would be fantastic and lay a solid foundation for 2018.

Possibly all the employee Model 3 cars could be built by mid-November and that could mean about 30,000 customer cars by the end of 2017. Those cars will likely be the ones going to existing US-based owners.

Exciting times for Tesla!

The Model 3 line is separate from the MS/MX lines.

Or so we're told.

It's quite possible (but unlikely) all this time they've been quietly re-tooling Line 1 or Line 2 to produce M3s until the dedicated M3 line is ready. The final assembly line right now intermixes MS and MX builds, even RHD and LHD.

When I was at the factory in May, the Model 3 line was blocked off by construction curtains. You could see through the gaps, but all I could see where machines on pallets waiting to be installed. I don't know if that was the actual state of the line, or if all I could see was the staging area. It looked like it had a lot to go back in May to be fully up and running though.

Reactions: jbcarioca
So I'll be the first to say, it sounds like the 30 cars on the 28th are hand-assembled cars. As well as the next 100 in August. Then the M3 production line spools up in September for the next 1500 and increasing from there.
Since many Model 3 robots were not in place two weeks ago it's safe to assume that you're correct. It probably is reasonable to expect rapid ramps once the line has been completed but we do not know when that will happen.

When I was at the factory in May, the Model 3 line was blocked off by construction curtains. You could see through the gaps, but all I could see where machines on pallets waiting to be installed. I don't know if that was the actual state of the line, or if all I could see was the staging area. It looked like it had a lot to go back in May to be fully up and running though.

I guess you don't really care much about the NDA you signed prior to taking a tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.