Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hands Free Steering by End of Month - For a small number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought he said "Early Access Program".

Edit:

Tesla Motors's (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk Hosts 2015 Annual Shareholder Meeting (Transcript) | Seeking Alpha

I think they got this wrong in the transcript. I heard:

The transcript seems to be full of errors, such as:
Speaking of new thin SuperCharger cords, "…thin and subtle." I'm sure that what he really said was "…thin and supple" Same error again on the next line.
About Power Wall as a daily cycling (time shifting) application, "In the US…will be limited because time of day chargers are not that different…" He said time of day charges are not that different…"
"So in places like Germany or Australia…" Did he really say Australia or was it Austria, which makes more sense when paired with Germany. As it says on T-Shirts in Vienna, "There are no kangaroos in Austria."
About autonomous driving "…we'd want Autopilot to be sophistically 10 times safer than a person…" Of course he really said …statistically 10 times safer…"
about Model 3 having AWD, "…even the real world drives Tesla…has amazing traction on snow…" e really said …"rear wheel drive…"

- - - Updated - - -

You can see how the Infiniti Q50 allows hands-free driving but the 'driver' does some stupid stuff and gets out of the driver's seat at about 1:28.

Interesting clip. Why do you think they pixelated the mirror and everything to the left of the steering wheel, including the A-pillar?

I'm ok with them having whatever rules they want for who is on the list, I was only disappointed at the obvious dodge of the question.

A perfectly acceptable answer would have been "we select people ourselves, asking to be on the list won't get you there" but "you have to be on the list" was just such an obvious dodge of the question as to sound like he was embarrassed about how it worked!

My understanding is that you have to be nominated by someone within Tesla who can accurately and from some significant experience vouch for your qualifications (as Bonnie listed above). I was nominated by my local Service Manager, but he was told that they have who they need for now. My understanding is it is a very small group, in relation to the whole fleet, and very closely monitored by Tesla.

OK, I get that part, but why pixelate the left side of the dashboard and the A-pillar?

Oh good lord do you really not get it? It's clearly a fixed sized, curve shaped, blur area in the video to hide his face as it moves in and out of the video.. THAT'S IT. The A pillar is just part of that blur. The A pillar isn't blurred in other angles/shots in the video. The dashboard doesn't look pixelated at all, it's just dark.

I seem to recall Elon saying that an autopilot system that cuts off when the driver "goes away" is backwards. Does anyone remember where/when he said that?

Yes, I recall. He was referring to Mercedes steer Assist.

I did test the Mercedes and have the same opinion. It does not tell you to put the hands on the steering when driving around 18 mph or below. I think Mercedes should automatically reduce the speed to below 18 instead of dangerously disabling the feature all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Yes, I recall. He was referring to Mercedes steer Assist.

I did test the Mercedes and have the same opinion. It does not tell you to put the hands on the steering when driving around 18 mph or below. I think Mercedes should automatically reduce the speed to below 18 instead of dangerously disabling the feature all of a sudden.

I'm sure Mercedes fix that in their next OTA software update. :rolleyes: