Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hands Free Voice Activated Telephone Use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jimt29

2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD, MSM/Black
Aug 13, 2015
Warwick, RI
Supposedly the purpose of making a voice activated call is to keep your attention always on the road.

To that end it is a great although incomplete solution.

So far every time I have made a voice activate call a second selection screen pops up with choices of who to call, what phone number such as Home/work/cell and so forth. Plus multiple similar contacts. I still have to use the screen to make the selection. Kind of defeats the whole Hands Free approach.

A practical solution might be to select the right voice call button again and select from the displayed choices such as "Select number 3" and go from there. That way there would be no distraction when making that phone call.

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Reactions: artnalex
I don't have any problem calling people handsfree by saying "Call Jim on mobile" and it just works. Have you tried that? If you have multiple "Jims" in your contact list, you'll have to say their last name too. Also, you can leave the "mobile" part out if Jim only has a single phone number in your contact record.

I don't have any problem calling people handsfree by saying "Call Jim on mobile" and it just works. Have you tried that? If you have multiple "Jims" in your contact list, you'll have to say their last name too. Also, you can leave the "mobile" part out if Jim only has a single phone number in your contact record.

Using your method brings up a sub menu with the name and number but you still have to select from the screen.

Anyone know if this has changed? Or what command to use. I still can't get it to place an outbound call without choosing a number from that sub-menu. Obviously undesirable and dangerous and also the first car that wouldn't just dial with a "Call Jim on mobile" command.

I have a British accent and I have a terrible time with the voice commands, it doesn't get anywhere close to what I am saying, so gave up using it... No poking fun now! :)

A practical solution might be to select the right voice call button again and select from the displayed choices such as "Select number 3" and go from there. That way there would be no distraction when making that phone call

This is what our "other car" does. If i say "Call so and so", and it is unsure of who I meant, it gives me options and says "choose a selection", I then say dial #2 and the car does it.

If I want to voice-to-text someone in that car I say "Text Jill", it asks me which Jill (one, two or three), I respond "two". Then the car says "what do you want to say", I speak my text. When done, it repeats it to me and says should I send this or rewrite. If I'm happy, I say send, if not I ask it to rewrite. That car is a 2018 Mazda...not some premium brand.

Hate to say it but when it comes to communication (hands free calling/texting) this UI needs some serious updating.

I have a British accent and I have a terrible time with the voice commands, it doesn't get anywhere close to what I am saying, so gave up using it... No poking fun now! :)

Interesting .. I have a British accent too, but it works pretty flawlessly for me (which pleasantly surprised me). However, I've been in the US long enough to use American vocabulary, so maybe that makes a difference?

I do not have this problem. I am using an android phone but doubt thats the reason why I am successful. In my contact settings I have selected the mobile phone as the default. So when I say call Brad it automatically picks the mobile number.

OH, I thought you were saying there was a global sort of setting. I have that for ex for my wife but the MY still doesn't call. It lists the numbers for her and I have to take my eyes off the road, look at the screen and pick the right number.

Maybe some other setting or phone difference.