Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

hands on steering wheel detection during AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the car detect if your hands are on the steering wheel during AP? I always have my hands on the steering wheel whenever I use AP but I keep getting warning to put my hands back on the wheel. Few times it even locked me out of AP until I pull over. I don't get this.. So, is it really believable when Tesla log shows driver's hands weren't on wheel during an accident, etc?

...I always have my hands on the steering wheel whenever I use AP but I keep getting warning to put my hands back on the wheel...

That's my experience as well when I first got it but then I found out the trick: I hang the entire weight of my arm or arms with one hand or two on the steering wheel. Autosteer needs to sense a constant torque from you or it will give you a warning.

By doing so, I can also feel how the system is steering too. That means I can correct the steering as soon as it misbehaves.

For example, I expect to go straight through a very wide intersection that has no lane marking.

Autosteer might get erratic as it cannot see any lane marking in a big intersection.

And if it does, I can feel it steers incorrectly and since at least one of my hand is there, I could easily hold back the steering so the car does not veer into adjacent cars.

I sounds scary but it is not. It's very easy, intuitive and relaxing because I know I am always in charge of the steering and I just drive straight if it got confused and veers.

If you don't believe me, please watch my 45 minute AP2 freeway trip with zero nagging message. Please turn on Closed Caption because my accent might be incomprehensible.

Last edited:
During my 400 plus mile drive this weekend. Depending on Conditions I would go from full hand resting on wheel to thumb resting on wheel. Everyonce and a while I would get white flashing and not to put hand on wheel. I would grab the wheel firmly and warning would go away. I think as long as you offer some resistance it should be good. When on a road with exits off the lane I am in I held a firmer grip to be ready to adjust when it started to veer off, although 90% of the time it corrected before I had to intervene.

Note it isn't about how tight you hold it, but whether you are giving a little bit f steering torque. If you rest you arm on the bottom or too, it may not work, but if you hold it anywhere else even very lightly, it will be sensed. I wish they would also have some capacitative touch sensing in addition to torque, but it is what it is now and is OK once you get used to it.