Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hands on wheel pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the M3 and struggling with the "hands on the wheel" warning. If I notice it early, it seems that the warning goes away with very little pressure. As a few seconds go by and I put my hands on the wheel to try to eliminate the warning by moving the wheel back and forth, it doesn't turn off. To get it to turn off, I have to jerk the wheel so hard that Autopilot shuts down and the car swerves because I've taken control.

What's the best way to deal with the warning light? Seems like just a little pressure accompanied by turning the wheel left and right should make it go away.

so you can actually adjust the volume using the scroll wheel if you get the warning. I am a lefty so drive with my left hand. I rest my hand at 7 o'clock and apply slight pressure towards 6 o'clock. This seems to always works. I essentially rest my hand in that position.

If you are right handed, 5 o'clock to 6 o'clock would be the same.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
First you are suppose to keep you hands on the wheel even when in auto pilot. Jerking the wheel back and forth is also not correct.

If you put a small amount of rotational pull on the wheel you'll never see the nag message. When in autopilot I usually drive with one hand on the wheel and the weight of my hand on one side is enough to never see the message. You'll quickly be able to learn how much resistance you need to provide. You can feel the resistance in the wheel when you have the right amount.

so you can actually adjust the volume using the scroll wheel if you get the warning. I am a lefty so drive with my left hand. I rest my hand at 7 o'clock and apply slight pressure towards 6 o'clock. This seems to always works. I essentially rest my hand in that position.

Im right handed but drive this way (the way you do). My first car was a used car with a manual transmission (a "stick" in regular human speak, lol). I couldnt afford used cars with "fancy" automatic transmissions until I was in my early 20s, and I had been driving since 15 1/2, so my right hand is used to resting on the center console waiting to shift.

I havent had a manual transmission car in over 30 years but I still drive "at rest" with my left hand on the wheel.

What's the best way to deal with the warning light? Seems like just a little pressure accompanied by turning the wheel left and right should make it go away.

I'm going to echo and expand on @nicholb's comments

Basically, it is something that will come with time. It is all about the rotational pressure. I've got 16,000 miles in and still get the warning occasionally. But I wouldn't try to turn both going left and right; just apply a little rotational pressure in ONE DIRECTION (whichever works best for you), slightly increasing pressure until the warning goes away. Before long, you'll develop the muscle memory for what it takes.

I rest my hand at 7 o'clock and apply slight pressure towards 6 o'clock. This seems to always works. I essentially rest my hand in that position.

You are resting your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. This is a dangerous way to drive as you have to move your hands to the top in an emergency situation, costing valuable time. It may not seem like much, but it really makes a difference.

Many of us were taught that the 10 & 2 positions were correct, but some new studies are saying that in the age of the airbag, 9 & 3 is better.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Sure while it is easy to apply a slight rotational torque to the steering wheel, I have gotten into the habit of applying a little left right jiggle and that is my technique. Frankly, I very rarely have to do that because the way I driving with my hand resting on the corner of the wheel is enough to not make it complain.

You are resting your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. This is a dangerous way to drive as you have to move your hands to the top in an emergency situation, costing valuable time. It may not seem like much, but it really makes a difference.
Hmmm, I guess that is true for some people, but for me I have always driven with my hand at the bottom of the wheel for 60 years. Never had an accident, but as most anyone having driven that long, sure some close calls where I had to avoid people not paying attention. Actually I learned t fly jets long before I ever had a car, so hands at the bottom was the way to do it (Different mechanism of course). I guess it just comes down to how I learned to drive. Never needed to move my hand to the top to make an emergency maneuver. Do agree though that it can help some folks with hands higher up.

So as with other poster, yea, I rest my hand at about the 7-8 position. I don't think it is any more dangerous. At least not for me.

Oh and edit to say something to consider. For the reason you say (some now use 9-3), there is much higher risk of injury from the airbag if you do get in an accident where steering wheel airbag is deployed if your hands are at the top. So take your pick :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy