Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hands Up of you bought a Tesla and you don't care about clean air or the 'Telsa Mission'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep reading on these boards that you should be willing to pay a bit extra or put up with some inconvenience as you are supporting a higher purpose.

I am all for clean air and advancing technology, but I bought a Tesla for purely selfish reasons. It is fun to drive, goes fast, looks cool and is more convenient than a ICE. With EV rebates and options for free charging at work it ends up being (way) cheaper the German Sedans I usually buy.

Can't say I see Tesla as a compromise.

I bought for the dream of self driving, and even the current capability set has competely revolutionized roadtrips. The other stuff was fine, but if I'd have had an option of a gas engine with the same self driving I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

Now that I've owned for a while, I see that electric is the future, but would still love to have a gas engine that had a station on every corner and could refill from zero to full in 3 minutes.

I keep reading on these boards that you should be willing to pay a bit extra or put up with some inconvenience as you are supporting a higher purpose.

I am all for clean air and advancing technology, but I bought a Tesla for purely selfish reasons. It is fun to drive, goes fast, looks cool and is more convenient than a ICE. With EV rebates and options for free charging at work it ends up being (way) cheaper the German Sedans I usually buy.

Can't say I see Tesla as a compromise.

By the way, the EV rebates and free charging at work are part of the "higher purpose." The government and your business isn't giving you that for the heck of it, they are giving you that to support better emissions.

I'm very happy to support the higher purpose. I'm also very happy for my car, if it didn't support the higher purpose.

Reactions: KJD
By the way, the EV rebates and free charging at work are part of the "higher purpose." The government and your business isn't giving you that for the heck of it, they are giving you that to support better emissions.

I'm very happy to support the higher purpose. I'm also very happy for my car, if it didn't support the higher purpose.

I get that, but that means they care about the mission - not me. I care about getting discounts and free fuel.

Reactions: dethman
Yep, the "mission" did not factor into my decision to buy at all. My reasons:

-Tesla offers real innovation. Other car companies offer minor, incremental updates just enough to distinguish one model year from another. Tired of that.
- Something different in an EV that actually looks great, amazing performance, and an order of magnitude more efficient (over my last ICE). Other EVs are clown cars compared to a Tesla, seriously a joke.
-Direct sales. I hate the traditional dealership experience. (Tesla has work to do here but in the long run will be a much better experience)
-Autopilot and eventually FSD. I'm a tinkerer and love exploring new features. I want to be part of the AP/FSD journey and Tesla allows that.
-OTA updates

That’s an interesting question. I probably would have bought a Tesla based on the design, technology, and performance alone even if it was a gas car. My previous cars were 2007 and 2012 Acura TLs which had quite impressive tech at the time. But I did not go around trying to convince friends and family to buy Acuras. I think the environmental benefits (particulate air pollution, global warming), and geopolitical/national security benefits (dependence on foreign oil), and economic benefits (I.e. made in the USA) really kick it up to “I’m all in.” I’m heavily invested in TSLA, volunteer for the local and national EAA, attend EV events, and have successfully convinced a lot of friends and family to buy Teslas (even before the referral program).

Look, this is why new entrant Tesla has biggest new car market share in every vehicle class it competes in. It is a transcendant car. Beautiful, innovative, fast, fun. If it were only about emissions, then the Bolt would also be selling great.

And, those of you who bought for those reasons ARE TOTALLY supporting the mission. You are moving the market to sustainable transport... not purely because it is sustainable, but because Tesla is building a great product for almost everybody’s checklist. And watch as all the competitors follow. Like any successful technology revolution, it is happening on a real market level, not an intellectual level.

Look, this is why new entrant Tesla has biggest new car market share in every vehicle class it competes in. It is a transcendant car. Beautiful, innovative, fast, fun. If it were only about emissions, then the Bolt would also be selling great.

And, those of you who bought for those reasons ARE TOTALLY supporting the mission. You are moving the market to sustainable transport... not purely because it is sustainable, but because Tesla is building a great product for almost everybody’s checklist. And watch as all the competitors follow. Like any successful technology revolution, it is happening on a real market level, not an intellectual level.

I get that, and I think people that believe in the 'mission' should LOVE guys like me who bought the car because we like it. Enlightened self interest is always the easiest way to move things forward.

Last edited: