Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handsfree Mic Sound Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - has been a problem since getting our first Model S in 2013.

People on the other end get a lot of background noise.

In the car, there can be frequent drop-outs in the audio on some calls.

Lowering the smartphone and/or vehicle speaker volume seems to help in reducing the drop-outs - but there's a trade-off, because it makes it more difficult to hear the person on the other end of the call.

This has been a long standing problem that Tesla must know about (surely Musk frequently makes phone calls from his car) - and hasn't been viewed as a high enough priority to address - higher priority has been adding easter eggs (fart mode) and arcade games...

I’ve had problems for years with “Bug Reports” while driving. The voice interpretation is remarkably lousy, and I’ve had to do three or more bug reports on the same problem before getting my message into the system correctly. Many DC visits about this, no problem found.

Especially at highway speeds, there is a lot of background noise picked up by the microphone.

Tesla does not appear to be applying any noise reduction.

We did notice something interesting in testing mic quality recently.

Phone calls placed from the cell phone in our car using handsfree to our home landline are much noisier than when we use the same cell phone in handsfree mode to call another cell phone. It appears our cell phone or carrier are doing some noise reduction on cell-to-cell calls that isn't done for cell-to-landline.

Is the Raven X any better with call quality?
Not sure. And it may depend on the phone.

My S10+ is considerably better than my old S8. But, Android has noise cancelling and it was enabled by default on my S10+. Checking my s8 shows noise cancelling is not enabled. I assumed this was only effective for calls made directly through the phone, but using the mic in the X is also better on the S10+

Not sure. And it may depend on the phone.

My S10+ is considerably better than my old S8. But, Android has noise cancelling and it was enabled by default on my S10+. Checking my s8 shows noise cancelling is not enabled. I assumed this was only effective for calls made directly through the phone, but using the mic in the X is also better on the S10+

Where is the setting on S10+ for noise cancellation? I haven't been able to find it.

Yesterday my wife had problems when she used her S10e to call our home landline, with the audio dropping out frequently. We then tried calling her S10e in the X to my S10+ - and much of the background noise on her end was filtered out and she didn't have the dropouts on her end.

There may be more to this than just the Tesla built-in microphone and software...

Is anybody having problems using the Bluetooth? Randomly the caller will not be able to hear me while using the Bluetooth. My phones is a Apple iPhone 10 max. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. When I use the phone to turn on the speaker or simply listen thru the phone a loud pop comes thru the speakers.
I have also just installed the last Tesla update.

Yes - has been a problem since getting our first Model S in 2013.

People on the other end get a lot of background noise.

In the car, there can be frequent drop-outs in the audio on some calls.

Lowering the smartphone and/or vehicle speaker volume seems to help in reducing the drop-outs - but there's a trade-off, because it makes it more difficult to hear the person on the other end of the call.

This has been a long standing problem that Tesla must know about (surely Musk frequently makes phone calls from his car) - and hasn't been viewed as a high enough priority to address - higher priority has been adding easter eggs (fart mode) and arcade games...
Has been a problem for me for over a year - have a 2019 Tesla Model S Long Range. Voice breaks up in the middle of a call or at the start of a call. Tesla claims it's a firmware issue, but have no solution for this problem yet.