Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handsfree/Speakerphone Noise Cancellation - degraded with 2.9.40?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced a massive degradation in road noise cancellation on the speakerphone with 2.9.40?

I've had my 2015 85D for about 3 months now and the speakerphone was flawless. My callers would rarely be able to tell that I was in a car, at any speed. Best car system I had ever experienced. When I figured out the volume button acted as a mute button during phone calls I was ecstatic.

My car is now running 2.9.40 - I presume it was updated yesterday in a service visit, in part to fix some slight wind noise from the backing plates in the door handles. They did so and my car is quieter internally than ever.

However, every call I've made/received since yesterday has resulted in complaints from the recipients and I've had to take the phone off of the bluetooth in order for the caller to be able to focus on me and not the road noise. The callers indicate that the noise increases with roadspeed/road roughness.

I've made many test calls including with different paired iPhone 5's as well as calling my local service center Tesla who is researching.

Has anyone experienced a massive degradation in road noise cancellation on the speakerphone with 2.9.40?

I've had my 2015 85D for about 3 months now and the speakerphone was flawless. My callers would rarely be able to tell that I was in a car, at any speed. Best car system I had ever experienced. When I figured out the volume button acted as a mute button during phone calls I was ecstatic.

My car is now running 2.9.40 - I presume it was updated yesterday in a service visit, in part to fix some slight wind noise from the backing plates in the door handles. They did so and my car is quieter internally than ever.

However, every call I've made/received since yesterday has resulted in complaints from the recipients and I've had to take the phone off of the bluetooth in order for the caller to be able to focus on me and not the road noise. The callers indicate that the noise increases with roadspeed/road roughness.

I've made many test calls including with different paired iPhone 5's as well as calling my local service center Tesla who is researching.

That's an interesting question you raise.

I'm guessing you haven't received any responses because it appears only a very, very small number of cars have been updated to firmware version 2.9.40, based on the numbers in the firmware upgrade tracker.

By the way, how could you tell that your original wind noise was due to the door handle backing plates? I've had wind noise issues since Day 1, and no one has mentioned door handle backing plates as a possible source.

Thanks.

On the Bluetooth handsfree quality, I really have no indication what changed. I can only state that prior to the service visit (which included a very minor arm rest screw trim replacement, the reduction in internal wind noise via the backing plates, and the upgraded software) very few people could tell that I was in a car. Now, phone calls to the same people, using their same phones notice and comment on background noise and ask what car I'm driving. If some are using speakerphones the noise on my end overpowers their speakerphone such that I have to take my phone off bluetooth (i.e. cut my broadcast noise down) so their mics will pick up their voice. The local service center has opened a ticket today (without me prompting - thanks Tesla!).

On the internal noise - from day one the passenger side had a very light wind turbulence noise - I lived with it until the seatbelt recall when I asked if they could look at it. My wife had said it was like there was a leak at the top of the window. They completely eliminated the sound and said it was the backing plates/vapor barrier on the door handles. I'm very pleased with the lack of wind noise now - so I can only presume that was the problem.

A few too many variables to state that the new software is the cause of my handsfree issues - so who knows.

On the internal noise - from day one the passenger side had a very light wind turbulence noise - I lived with it until the seatbelt recall when I asked if they could look at it. My wife had said it was like there was a leak at the top of the window. They completely eliminated the sound and said it was the backing plates/vapor barrier on the door handles. I'm very pleased with the lack of wind noise now - so I can only presume that was the problem.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll have to ask if this could be the cause of the wind noise I am still hearing.

On the Bluetooth handsfree quality, I really have no indication what changed. I can only state that prior to the service visit (which included a very minor arm rest screw trim replacement, the reduction in internal wind noise via the backing plates, and the upgraded software) very few people could tell that I was in a car. Now, phone calls to the same people, using their same phones notice and comment on background noise and ask what car I'm driving. If some are using speakerphones the noise on my end overpowers their speakerphone such that I have to take my phone off bluetooth (i.e. cut my broadcast noise down) so their mics will pick up their voice. The local service center has opened a ticket today (without me prompting - thanks Tesla!). .

There was a significant update to Apple iOS this week (iOS 9.2). Any chance that could be a factor? No experience, just asking the question.