Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansjörg von Gemmingen Roadster pack out of juice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to his side of the story, it was in a guitar case, but baggage handlers were throwing the guitars around. I've never heard United's side of the story. Anyway, so far off topic now...

The metal camera suitcase (full size) I used has significant dents in it from Air Canada and CP Air, however they were unable to damage any of the cameras or accessories. A standard guitar case isn't likely to survive airport handling.

Guitar neck got broken. Have he used proper guitar case? Apparently not. Have he clearly market his bag as "fragile"? Have he got insurance for it? If he would have done any above mentioned things, there would be no story.

His side of the story:

Story | Dave Carroll Music

When I got to Omaha it was around 12:30 am. The plane was late arriving and there were no employees visible. Although I was told later that it wouldn’t have mattered, I should have taken my hard case out of the padded protective exterior case to examine the guitar at the airport but I didn’t. The guitar case looked ok and we were tired, went to the hotel and then to sleep for our early morning pick-up by the tour managers the next day. When they picked us up in the early morning we would not be back in Omaha for seven days. It was later that day at sound check that I discovered that the base of my Taylor had been smashed.

I agree it is borderline blackmail (depending on whether he offered them not to publish videos if they settled), but I see nothing wrong with what he did up until that point (9 months into trying to get compensation) and nothing wrong with what he did in transportation.

Back to Mr bricker and Mr 200,000km - both those seem unreasonable claims to me (unlike Mr Guitar).

I think the problem is in using your battery up too fast. One has to look at the offered $12k battery replacement (both the original Roadster offer, and the new Model S offer). That was priced assuming moderate use and a much longer calendar lifetime on the original battery. The current technology is just not suited for averaging 200+ kms every single day. I am expecting to amortize my Roadster and Model S batteries over seven to ten years. I have always assumed I would need to replace them, but not after having burned through them in just two to three years. One has to let the price curve on the technology function.

I think the problem is in using your battery up too fast. One has to look at the offered $12k battery replacement (both the original Roadster offer, and the new Model S offer). That was priced assuming moderate use and a much longer calendar lifetime on the original battery. The current technology is just not suited for averaging 200+ kms every single day. I am expecting to amortize my Roadster and Model S batteries over seven to ten years. I have always assumed I would need to replace them, but not after having burned through them in just two to three years. One has to let the price curve on the technology function.
With my driving habits and California gas prices I save $3,000/year driving my Roadster. So with the $12k replacement then you break even in 4 years.

Hansjorg von Gemmingen is getting a new pack, at a discount.

Google translate:

His Rodster has 249,000 km on the clock and can not get so far: 100 kilometers is the battery still here, originally there were more than 350, because the warranty was only for 166,000 km, Gemmingen has ordered a new battery - list price 30,000 Euro. But he had to get a discount because he often interested've convinced of the cars for Tesla.

http://www.manager-magazin.de/lifestyle/auto/a-897203-4.html

I find it interesting that it seemed to degrade quickly to 100km of range and then apparently held there for two years or so, since it seems he's still driving it with that range. That suggests to me a module failure and not a total pack capacity loss.

Glad to hear it. But what I really want to know is what went wrong with his old pack? How did it degrade near the end when it started dropping fairly quickly? Does anybody have any info?
Apparently he range charged the car very frequently, and also deep discharged the pack. This was per one of the interviews that he did a few years back. I also though I read that he had the pack degraded to about 100 miles at that time. I don't know where the 100km came from. I wonder if somebody is confusing miles with kilometers.

The original German piece linked earlier in this thread listed 100km, and being German that makes more sense than miles.
To clarify, I believe the 100km he has now(around 60 miles), but I don't think it's accurate to say that he has been at that level for two years. I think that two years ago he was at about 100 miles. I'll have to dig that article up...

You might be right then. Still doesn't make much sense that the battery degraded that much, and has stopped degrading.

It would stop degrading if he didn't drive it much. I have a theory about cell failure runaway that might occur if a few cells in one brick got really bad. That's why I want more info about how it lost capacity; it will tell us a lot about how the ESS is designed.

We know that capacity is limited by the smallest parallel group of cells, so if one of those groups experienced some cell failures which limited capacity that could explain it. A sudden failure like that would also explain the quick range loss that does not continue to degrade.

We know that capacity is limited by the smallest parallel group of cells, so if one of those groups experienced some cell failures which limited capacity that could explain it. A sudden failure like that would also explain the quick range loss that does not continue to degrade.

Tesla should be able to tell if a sheet is bad... and replace just that sheet. I had a conversation with a Tesla Ranger on this very subject and he said that they have done pack refurbishing by replacing individual sheets with comparable age sheets as the rest of the pack.

Agreed, the battery is limited by the weakest brick, so ideally replacing one failed brick can bring the battery back up to full capacity.

The pack is designed as 11 sheets of 9 bricks, and the sheet is the smallest replaceable module. This could mean throwing out 8 good bricks to replace one bad one, but still better than buying a new pack.

Last edited:
We know that capacity is limited by the smallest parallel group of cells, so if one of those groups experienced some cell failures which limited capacity that could explain it.

The common assumption is that capacity is limited by the smallest parallel group of cells, but we don't know that for sure. There is actually lots of evidence that the cells in a brick may not always be connected in parallel. Instead it's quite possible that the ESS is composed of 69 parallel strings of 99 cells in series. This design would make it easier to balance, allow much cheaper and more robust transistors that connect/disconnect the cells, and potentially allow for a more graceful failure of the ESS.

... A sudden failure like that would also explain the quick range loss that does not continue to degrade.

I disagree with this analysis if the bricks are made up of 69 cells that are always connected in parallel. In fact quite the opposite would happen. That's where I got my so-called runaway failure theory. Assuming each brick is 69 cells permanently connected in parallel, if a few of those cells failed or became weak, then the remaining cells in that brick would have to make up the difference. That would put more stress on those remaining cells because they would have to carry more current with resulting heat, and be discharged to a lower SOC every time you drive. Those are the two worst things you can do to the cells, so the remaining cells in that brick would decline much faster than the rest of the pack. This decline would accelerate with each discharge cycle. The result would be a runaway failure of sorts. But keep it in perspective - this would still be a rather slow runaway, at least at first.

Instead it's quite possible that the ESS is composed of 69 parallel strings of 99 cells in series. This design would make it easier to balance, allow much cheaper and more robust transistors that connect/disconnect the cells, and potentially allow for a more graceful failure of the ESS.
This architecture would require you to monitor and balance each individual cell because the 99 cells in series in each brick all have a risk of being over-discharged (in top balance case) or over-charged (in bottom balance case). And given the strings are all independent (the only commonality is the overall pack voltage), that essentially means you have to monitor and balance all 6831 cells.

The assumed architecture where 69 cells are in parallel per brick means these 69 cells self balance and can be monitored as a single group. The BMS then only has to monitor 99 bricks, rather than each individual cell.

There's something else that's more critical that I forgot to mention. If the 99 cells are in series and one cell fails (and cells tend to fail with a high resistance, which is close to a open circuit) that makes the entire brick unable to function.

In the case of the 69 cells in parallel, a failed cell only means slightly higher load for that brick, but the other cells are still able to function.