Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Audio Upgrade? (SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got some feedback to share.

I got in contact with one of the authorized installers not far from me. He's installed over 50 of the Hansshow kits and has also done an NVX kit install. With the Hansshow, he's always used the penthouse as the power source and hasn't been an issue for them. I would use him to install my kit but he's a ferry ride away which adds $150 in round trip costs just to get there.

A local shop has quoted me $450 CAD to get the kit installed and that's based on the price they charged someone else to have that same kit installed. Again, they just followed the instructions (which I assume is the penthouse - my kit has no instructions) and that customer hasn't gotten back to them with any issues.

One owner a couple of hours away had a shop install, penthouse location and hasn't had any issues either except the sub doesn't work at all. Shops not sure why, Hansshow's support has been an obvious miss here sending the same troubleshooting tips over and over. He's not sure if he's got a defective sub or if the shop didn't wire it up properly. I'd assume that the shop did wire it up correctly since everything else works and that Hansshow sub is just not working correctly. But no power issues but if the sub isn't even working, there's probably little to no draw even happening.

And finally, a local owner as installed aftermarket kit himself directly to the 12v battery in the front. Been using it for 2+ years now and seemingly his amps and subs are more powerful than the Hansshow kit.

All in all, I still don't know where I stand but based on the information, my best guess is that the reports of electrical problems are more isolated and not very common. People very rarely report successful installs and that they haven't had issues.

Thank for that extra detail and other installer experiences. I agree that this must be pretty uncommon to have problems actually, I think we'd see a lot more angry threads like the reddit if it were more common. An installer having done 50 kits would surely have gotten direct complaints if they were failing.

I asked the reddit guy for a followup, and he kindly responded. Tesla replaced his DC-DC converter in the car as a failing unit, under warranty. There is no way they'd do that on a whim, they surely tested it and found it faulty. So that answers the questions about both his original and second failure- the car itself was having problems. The only remaining question is thus whether the Hansshow caused the problem with the DC-DC converter or not. I'm inclined to think no, because that converter can provide something like 150 amps, and a stereo is just not that big a deal to it. It also has protection circuity for that in-rush current- the error messages people originally saw if it's too much.

Interesting example of the use of the 12V battery in the front. This is the part I cannot quite understand, because the guy who tested the power draw from the battery using a 12V inverter clearly demonstrated that there is a max draw that will work, on the order of 3 amps. Anything higher than that will draw down the battery. There are a couple of possibilities.

One is that even a massive stereo has a modest current draw while playing music, even loud. Thumping bass is not continuous drain, and the long term drain could easily be less than 3 amps. Peak wattage used can be for small fractions of time, and not be that serious a load. Even a deep-cycle 12v battery like Tesla uses will be able to provide some good peak current, they are often rated like 45Ah (20hr), where they can provide 45 amps for 20 hours. And something like 500 Amps for one hour.

Second non-zero possibility is that the cars have changed over time. No way to know for sure what is in older cars versus newer cars, so the 12V inverter test is only a single car. I had a report that you could use the 12V inverter for 1Kw directly off the 12V battery, from a guy who used to work at Tesla. But it's entirely possible that Tesla defeated that in software changes, or added a limiter of some form, after they started having excessive 12V battery deaths.

After having studied this as much as I've been able to find- I think it's actually become clear that best place for 12V power is the penthouse connector.

Even if the battery up front can do it, that battery is getting a lot of excess use/cycles. Now failing 12V batteries is a good example of something that is clearly common on our Model 3s. We get reports all the time. So the design is weak, or the batteries are already overloaded by normal use. Either way, I think that makes it really clear you don't want to add yet another drain there and make that problem worse.

Conversely, including your great info from the installers, it's pretty clear that using the penthouse is not a problem. Assuming we avoid the in-rush problem, we almost never hear of anyone having problems with that connection, which is why the reddit story stood out. Given the power handling ability there in terms of max amps, and the protection/breaker/fuse circuitry on the penthouse, I think it's the best choice. Even if Tesla doesn't OK it.

For me personally, I've decided to use the penthouse connector. But I'm also going to add the resistor+relay (plus normal fuse) as a safer approach to avoiding the in-rush short detection. It's cheap and has no drawbacks that I can see.

The Hansshow subwoofer not working, and their total lack of competence in getting it working after the sale is why I'd discourage you and anyone from going with their stereo. They are either incompetent or unmotivated to fix problems after the fact. That's why I encouraged you to go with @todd2fst4u after-market stereo instead. Your call of course, but after having read this entire thread I'm personally not buying anything from Hansshow. You can also install you own aftermarket stereo, which is what I'm doing. Or you could have a good car-stereo store do an install for you. Model 3's are common enough now that it won't be a unique or strange thing for them, and their expertise in doing car stereo will be good.

I'm going to be doing a more complete write-up, but I've been doing some more extensive profiling of the SR stereo, and can offer some more concrete suggestions because of that. One is that a full stereo upgrade is actually not necessary to get great quality sound. The stereo in the SR is actually pretty good, with a couple of fairly obvious problems. Here is a profile I took using a RTA with a calibrated Umik-1 microphone and REW.

Flat EQ.jpg

That's measuring it a couple of different ways, including pink noise and frequency sweep. This is a stock SR stereo, EQ set to zero. No immersion, no after market harness.

The red bar is the most interesting as the sweep. You can see the signal is actually pretty flat overall, very good relative to a lot of stereos. Bass is boosted because it's what your average buyer likes. And the bass is actually OK down to about 30Hz.

Two fundamental flaws here that don't exist in the premium LR stereo. That dip around 180Hz, and spike around 260Hz is really bad. That's a full 10db swing, which will poke a hole in the bass response. Second problem is the high end dies around 14KHz, with nothing above that. That's because the tweeters are disconnected as we already know.

So this graph suggests that you don't actually need to do anything very heroic to get excellent sound.
1) Add a subwoofer like the NVX, or anything really. As long as it can go up to 200Hz, that will fill in that hole, and also take it a bit lower.
2) Add the wiring harness to activate the tweeters. Skip the imaging speakers.
3) Tweak the EQ to lower the bass response and pull down that 260Hz peak, and probably lower a tweeter spike around 12K once they are on.

Last edited:
Thank for that extra detail and other installer experiences. I agree that this must be pretty uncommon to have problems actually, I think we'd see a lot more angry threads like the reddit if it were more common. An installer having done 50 kits would surely have gotten direct complaints if they were failing.

I asked the reddit guy for a followup, and he kindly responded. Tesla replaced his DC-DC converter in the car as a failing unit, under warranty. There is no way they'd do that on a whim, they surely tested it and found it faulty. So that answers the questions about both his original and second failure- the car itself was having problems. The only remaining question is thus whether the Hansshow caused the problem with the DC-DC converter or not. I'm inclined to think no, because that converter can provide something like 150 amps, and a stereo is just not that big a deal to it. It also has protection circuity for that in-rush current- the error messages people originally saw if it's too much.

Interesting example of the use of the 12V battery in the front. This is the part I cannot quite understand, because the guy who tested the power draw from the battery using a 12V inverter clearly demonstrated that there is a max draw that will work, on the order of 3 amps. Anything higher than that will draw down the battery. There are a couple of possibilities.

One is that even a massive stereo has a modest current draw while playing music, even loud. Thumping bass is not continuous drain, and the long term drain could easily be less than 3 amps. Peak wattage used can be for small fractions of time, and not be that serious a load. Even a deep-cycle 12v battery like Tesla uses will be able to provide some good peak current, they are often rated like 45Ah (20hr), where they can provide 45 amps for 20 hours. And something like 500 Amps for one hour.

Second non-zero possibility is that the cars have changed over time. No way to know for sure what is in older cars versus newer cars, so the 12V inverter test is only a single car. I had a report that you could use the 12V inverter for 1Kw directly off the 12V battery, from a guy who used to work at Tesla. But it's entirely possible that Tesla defeated that in software changes, or added a limiter of some form, after they started having excessive 12V battery deaths.

After having studied this as much as I've been able to find- I think it's actually become clear that best place for 12V power is the penthouse connector.

Even if the battery up front can do it, that battery is getting a lot of excess use/cycles. Now failing 12V batteries is a good example of something that is clearly common on our Model 3s. We get reports all the time. So the design is weak, or the batteries are already overloaded by normal use. Either way, I think that makes it really clear you don't want to add yet another drain there and make that problem worse.

Conversely, including your great info from the installers, it's pretty clear that using the penthouse is not a problem. Assuming we avoid the in-rush problem, we almost never hear of anyone having problems with that connection, which is why the reddit story stood out. Given the power handling ability there in terms of max amps, and the protection/breaker/fuse circuitry on the penthouse, I think it's the best choice. Even if Tesla doesn't OK it.

For me personally, I've decided to use the penthouse connector. But I'm also going to add the resistor+relay (plus normal fuse) as a safer approach to avoiding the in-rush short detection. It's cheap and has no drawbacks that I can see.

The Hansshow subwoofer not working, and their total lack of competence in getting it working after the sale is why I'd discourage you and anyone from going with their stereo. They are either incompetent or unmotivated to fix problems after the fact. That's why I encouraged you to go with @todd2fst4u after-market stereo instead. Your call of course, but after having read this entire thread I'm personally not buying anything from Hansshow. You can also install you own aftermarket stereo, which is what I'm doing. Or you could have a good car-stereo store do an install for you. Model 3's are common enough now that it won't be a unique or strange thing for them, and their expertise in doing car stereo will be good.

I'm going to be doing a more complete write-up, but I've been doing some more extensive profiling of the SR stereo, and can offer some more concrete suggestions because of that. One is that a full stereo upgrade is actually not necessary to get great quality sound. The stereo in the SR is actually pretty good, with a couple of fairly obvious problems. Here is a profile I took using a RTA with a calibrated Umik-1 microphone and REW.

View attachment 701113

That's measuring it a couple of different ways, including pink noise and frequency sweep. This is a stock SR stereo, EQ set to zero. No immersion, no after market harness.

The red bar is the most interesting as the sweep. You can see the signal is actually pretty flat overall, very good relative to a lot of stereos. Bass is boosted because it's what your average buyer likes. And the bass is actually OK down to about 30Hz.

Two fundamental flaws here that don't exist in the premium LR stereo. That dip around 180Hz, and spike around 260Hz is really bad. That's a full 10db swing, which will poke a hole in the bass response. Second problem is the high end dies around 14KHz, with nothing above that. That's because the tweeters are disconnected as we already know.

So this graph suggests that you don't actually need to do anything very heroic to get excellent sound.
1) Add a subwoofer like the NVX, or anything really. As long as it can go up to 200Hz, that will fill in that hole, and also take it a bit lower.
3) Tweak the EQ to lower the bass response and pull down that 260Hz peak, and probably lower a tweeter spike around 12K once they are on.

I have the Hansshow kit sitting here and I got it as a promotional item. My overall cost is very minimal (labor to install plus a bit) which is a driving force to use the kit.

For now, I'll ask them to use the Penthouse and maybe ask if they can run a resistor+relay (plus normal fuse) like you mentioned to avoid the in-rush short detection.

I have the Hansshow kit sitting here and I got it as a promotional item. My overall cost is very minimal (labor to install plus a bit) which is a driving force to use the kit.

For now, I'll ask them to use the Penthouse and maybe ask if they can run a resistor+relay (plus normal fuse) like you mentioned to avoid the in-rush short detection.

Oh, sweet. Yeah, if you got the Hansshow for free, there is no reason not to use it. People have reported very good results with it, after Hansshow finalized the design and the DSP settings. I wouldn't buy one, but if I'd gotten one as a promo, I'd definitely use it. The only real drawback for the Hansshow F at this point is their after-market support is non-existent.

I think I can get better results than either Hansshow or todd2f4u's aftermarket setup by using a JBL DSP. But of course that will take some and effort and remains to be seen.

• Funny
Reactions: todd2fst4u
I went from being excited to worried. I have a version F on the way.

It seems penthouse is the way to go for power. Where can I get schematics for wiring up a relay and resistor to make this safe? Very much appreciated
I hate that i cant think of where in the forum this info is, but i was one of the early adopters, aka guinea pigs for hanshow, actually probably one of the ones who helped them fix the kinks with a few other people here, and i remember, about that energy message first appearing to someone and it being linked to not properly shutting off the car and keeping it shut while installing everything, since you have to pretty much keep all doors and hoods open while doing it, and also not seat down , because all that wakes the car up. I know someone who had this happen to them and he had to uninstall the power wiring for the hanshow system do a reset of the car dont remember if it was a soft or hard reset, , i think it was a soft one, and then try the install again without waking up the car, never saw the message again

This is the thread/information that is making me get cold feet.
Oh trust me I feel you, I spent like 3 months back and forth with them, trying to get the whole thing working properly, with a lot of the fixes actually being recommended from a friend of mine who is a sound engineer, lol hansshow had very little clue overall for a while, sucks that they haven't gotten their act together yet, because i am actually quite pleased with the system

Oh trust me I feel you, I spent like 3 months back and forth with them, trying to get the whole thing working properly, with a lot of the fixes actually being recommended from a friend of mine who is a sound engineer, lol hansshow had very little clue overall for a while, sucks that they haven't gotten their act together yet, because i am actually quite pleased with the system
Mine's getting installed either way and the shop I'm going to do has done one and have 35+ years in the car audio space so I'll just go with whatever they recommend over the Hansshow instructions (which of course never came with the kit).

Mine's getting installed either way and the shop I'm going to do has done one and have 35+ years in the car audio space so I'll just go with whatever they recommend over the Hansshow instructions (which of course never came with the kit).
Please keep us posted. That reddit thread, is there only one individual that had penthouse issues ? Or is it widespread?

Please keep us posted. That reddit thread, is there only one individual that had penthouse issues ? Or is it widespread?

Read through that entire reddit thread, including the comments I added, and his response. Also read through the last 8-10 pages of this thread, because we've talked about this in depth.

@swan and I have come to the conclusion that it is not at all widespread, and I think that in the redditor case he actually had a failing DC-DC converter in his car, that Tesla replaced under warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying the Hansshow, but my recommendation is still to skip them and buy the one that @todd2fst4u can provide as aftermarket. Todd will give you after sale support, Hansshow will ghost you.

How much is the todd2fst4u kit? And does anyone have the schematic for this resistor/relay wiring ?

And I know there is some discussion if its needed, and there is no concrete answer I can swear by. In theory, the connection should be 100% fine but yet, people are having issues? Is it coincidence? How do we know hansshow/any aftermarket stereo is causing it?

• Helpful
I installed the version F kit on my 2019 a few weeks ago, and it has been great with the exception of the INFERNALLY LOUD CHIMES. Even with Joe mode on they're intolerably loud - which is a shame because the improvement that the kit made to the car's sound was dramatic.

A few comments/experiences with the kit:
  • Despite having a RHD kit, the labels say "driver's side" "passenger side" - were in fact backwards. I don't know why they don't label this left/right side.
  • I wasted a bunch of time attempting to install the two supplied rear speakers. After getting frustrated at trying to remove the parcel shelf to get at the rears, I looked at the harness more closely. On closer inspection - there were pins in the plug that had the wires leading to them snipped off. So I depinned the plug, restored the original connections and bam, functioning OEM rear speakers!
  • After dropping the gain on the sub remote and upping the bass on the EQ, I'm pretty happy with the sound.
  • The amp seems to take a little while to turn on.
  • I hooked up power to the penthouse. I also have the Hansshow boot kit tapping power here too. No issues thus far. I have the frunk kit too, but that takes power from the battery.
  • I said it before, but the chimes are terrible. I contacted Hansshow support mentioning the chimes and the nav voice being loud, and the only advice on offer was to lower the nav voice.
  • I was going to set up inrush current limiting, but haven't had any warning issues as yet. The Reddit post was incredibly overdramatic.
With the exception of the chimes issue, I'm quite happy.

I installed the version F kit on my 2019 a few weeks ago, and it has been great with the exception of the INFERNALLY LOUD CHIMES. Even with Joe mode on they're intolerably loud - which is a shame because the improvement that the kit made to the car's sound was dramatic.

A few comments/experiences with the kit:
  • Despite having a RHD kit, the labels say "driver's side" "passenger side" - were in fact backwards. I don't know why they don't label this left/right side.
  • I wasted a bunch of time attempting to install the two supplied rear speakers. After getting frustrated at trying to remove the parcel shelf to get at the rears, I looked at the harness more closely. On closer inspection - there were pins in the plug that had the wires leading to them snipped off. So I depinned the plug, restored the original connections and bam, functioning OEM rear speakers!
  • After dropping the gain on the sub remote and upping the bass on the EQ, I'm pretty happy with the sound.
  • The amp seems to take a little while to turn on.
  • I hooked up power to the penthouse. I also have the Hansshow boot kit tapping power here too. No issues thus far. I have the frunk kit too, but that takes power from the battery.
  • I said it before, but the chimes are terrible. I contacted Hansshow support mentioning the chimes and the nav voice being loud, and the only advice on offer was to lower the nav voice.
  • I was going to set up inrush current limiting, but haven't had any warning issues as yet. The Reddit post was incredibly overdramatic.
With the exception of the chimes issue, I'm quite happy.
I'm curious why the chimes are loud. I have the hansshow harness fitted but fitted the OEM sub and an alpine amp like Todd. I don't have lots chimes so I'm guessing it's too do with the dsp

I'm curious why the chimes are loud. I have the hansshow harness fitted but fitted the OEM sub and an alpine amp like Todd. I don't have lots chimes so I'm guessing it's too do with the dsp

My best guess is that the Hansshow has overly loud chimes because they have wired a set of speakers in parallel, which lowers the impedance on that speaker branch so that both speakers will be louder. If they don't compensate for that in the DSP settings, the speakers will not be loudness balanced. I think this also happens with any of the harnesses that just activate speakers, running speakers in parallel changes the impedance.

How much is the todd2fst4u kit? And does anyone have the schematic for this resistor/relay wiring ?

And I know there is some discussion if its needed, and there is no concrete answer I can swear by. In theory, the connection should be 100% fine but yet, people are having issues? Is it coincidence? How do we know hansshow/any aftermarket stereo is causing it?

The resistor+relay is not necessary for either the Hansshow, NVX sub, or todd's setup, because the amps are small enough that they don't have a huge in-rush current. It's also possible that on the Hansshow they set the amp to wait to power up, which also avoids it.

The problem was originally seen by peopling adding after market amps, much bigger stuff like what Travis set up. It does not seem to be at all common anymore, now that @Jamie Sibley figured out the problem as found here:

In the NVX or Todd amp cases, those are Class D amplifiers, which don't typically use giant capacitors and thus don't cause a big inrush of current. The Hansshow uses a class A/B amp, but it seems like either it's small enough to not matter, or they have a different solution.

I haven't seen any recent reports of this problem, which is why I think it's been resolved. Even as I think it's unnecessary, I'm still going to use a resistor+relay as a safety feature, because the amps aren't going to care if they power up 1 second later. And also I'm likely to add another amp for a subwoofer later on. A possible approach might be to skip adding this until/if you see an error.

One owner a couple of hours away had a shop install, penthouse location and hasn't had any issues either except the sub doesn't work at all. Shops not sure why, Hansshow's support has been an obvious miss here sending the same troubleshooting tips over and over. He's not sure if he's got a defective sub or if the shop didn't wire it up properly. I'd assume that the shop did wire it up correctly since everything else works and that Hansshow sub is just not working correctly. But no power issues but if the sub isn't even working, there's probably little to no draw even happening.
If the shop you are referring to is in Nanaimo, I might be that other owner. I had my version F installed there and the sub has never worked. I paid hundreds of dollars for the installation.

I drafted a review praising the model F, (with the exception of the subwoofer problem) and showed it to Hansshow as I tried to work with them on resolving the subwoofer issue. I may as well have been trying to work with monkeys who had a laptop. Regardless of how many times I described the problem, they repeated the same advice.

I asked Hansshow to send me a new version F kit so that I could have it installed (at my cost for the installation) and return the defective kit to them at their cost. Hansshow refused.

Eventually they sent me a replacement wiring harness that I have not yet had installed.

I really wanted to be able to write good things about Hansshow and their products. Unfortunately, I cannot in good conscience do that.

My best guess is that the Hansshow has overly loud chimes because they have wired a set of speakers in parallel, which lowers the impedance on that speaker branch so that both speakers will be louder. If they don't compensate for that in the DSP settings, the speakers will not be loudness balanced. I think this also happens with any of the harnesses that just activate speakers, running speakers in parallel changes the impedance.
Can't be that as I have the hansshow harness fitted as I said but not their dsp or sub. My chimes are no louder than before I fitted it

View attachment 701113

Would be curious to see your EQ settings and revised chart, once your system is set up.

Can't be that as I have the hansshow harness fitted as I said but not their dsp or sub. My chimes are no louder than before I fitted it

Hmm... Scary. If the impedance is not it, then that suggests maybe the speakers are out of phase. That can happen if the harness is wired wrong. And we already know from prior experience that Hansshow definitely sent out harnesses that were not wired properly. It seems like a pretty common problem, but I can't tell if everyone had it or not.

Trying to think of other reasons it might happen. One might be that the DSP settings on the F setup are wrong. Or that getting them tweaked to match the audio they want makes some speakers excessively loud. For example, the chime frequencies are boosted way up in order to make the music sound good.

Oh wait- you have @todd2fst4u amp setup, right? AFAIK Todd doesn't do the doubling up of speakers in parallel. That's the point of using the 4 channel Alpine amp, to get discrete channels for each of the new speakers and not break the impedance. He uses the TeslaOffer or Hansshow harnesses, but cuts them up to make his own harness.