Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Audio Upgrade? (SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Good News!

A little backstory. I realized after connecting the harness (ver. A) that the door tweeter and rear-passenger right shelf speaker were noticeably louder. I knew and had a hunch that there was something off.

I ordered a $13 polarity tester at Amazon. I tested all speakers and I was right on the money. The polarity are reversed on both door tweeters and passenger rear-right shelf speaker. I reversed the wirings and when I powered it up to test. The Door woofers came back to life. Right away I could feel the thump. Everything is sorted out now but Hansshow need to do a better job making their harness. Reversed polarity, left and right channel are reversed.

My system is now complete. You can't even tell I have a subwoofer because everything are in sync now. Before reversing the polarity on the tweeters. All of the mids and bass were coming from the trunk. Now, the bass is inside the cabin and not at back.

I have a question. I see the DIY has a box module. I'm assuming it's a crossover? My Ver. A harness doesn't have it. It seems like the door and pillar speakers are tapped in the door woofer. Wouldn't this kill the tweeter without using any crossover?
Crossover is made of some capacitors,
We integrated it into the wiring harness for the version series.

kali,

The polarity checker is a great idea! I had no idea something like that even existed. I've been trying to devise a way to figure this out myself with a waveform generator and oscilloscope but your method is way easier.

However, instead of buying your $13 amazon tool, I installed this free app on my phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dwa_ict.polaritychecker

It seems to indicate that the driver's side is wired backwards but now I'm a little unsure what I need to do to fix it. I'd rather fix the harness and document my work so others can easily fix theirs as well. Both the front and rear drivers side were reporting as wrong so I'm not sure if the inputs to the crossover box are wrong or outputs are wrong. I guess I'll need to pull it apart and only connect one speaker at a time to isolate each speaker.

FYI, I'm talking about the diy harness that I got about a month ago.

Thanks again. You saved me a bunch of effort!

For those who ordered, how long did it take you to receive? I ordered the DIY kit last week. I got a FedEx tracking number, but it hasn’t updated at all in over a week. And it says shipping from Dubai

it took about 3 weeks for me. mine shipped fedex from dubai as well. I believe they ship them via some type of china mail to dubai where they are stuck in a fedex envelope and shipped on to the us.

• Helpful
Reactions: badiban
kali,

The polarity checker is a great idea! I had no idea something like that even existed. I've been trying to devise a way to figure this out myself with a waveform generator and oscilloscope but your method is way easier.

However, instead of buying your $13 amazon tool, I installed this free app on my phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dwa_ict.polaritychecker

It seems to indicate that the driver's side is wired backwards but now I'm a little unsure what I need to do to fix it. I'd rather fix the harness and document my work so others can easily fix theirs as well. Both the front and rear drivers side were reporting as wrong so I'm not sure if the inputs to the crossover box are wrong or outputs are wrong. I guess I'll need to pull it apart and only connect one speaker at a time to isolate each speaker.

FYI, I'm talking about the diy harness that I got about a month ago.

Thanks again. You saved me a bunch of effort!

I did reversed polarity on the wire harness, on passenger side. Got lazy and did it on the tweeter on the driver side. Switching it back is easy if ever have to. I wrapped it in Tesa Tape and it doesn't even look like I touched it.

did you check each speaker or did you just randomly flip one? the app allows you to send different frequencies so in theory you could check them individually without disconnecting them. I need to play some more with it. I wish we had schematics for the harness.

For those who ordered, how long did it take you to receive? I ordered the DIY kit last week. I got a FedEx tracking number, but it hasn’t updated at all in over a week. And it says shipping from Dubai

I got the shipping notification from DHL for Version F on December 23. Mine is going to Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

DHL says it is in Los Ángeles now and says it will be to me by December 31.

upload_2020-12-24_9-11-14.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: badiban
it took about 3 weeks for me. mine shipped fedex from dubai as well. I believe they ship them via some type of china mail to dubai where they are stuck in a fedex envelope and shipped on to the us.

Ah okay, thanks! How long did it take until your FedEx tracking started working?

My Hansshow contact promised me it’ll arrive before Christmas, so that’s pretty frustrating.

I have same month and year and the speakers are there. If you take a flashlight and shine through back window down into the rear shelf you will see them.
I am really curious about the Hansshow audio upgrade kit, but I haven't been able to find out much specific info on if the upgrade kit is worthwhile (especially for my newer SR+ which only has 4 silent speakers). I am also not the most handy and the idea of tearing my car apart does give me a little anxiety. For what it's worth I did do the center console wrap myself, but ripping panels off my car is a new level for me. I have a few questions about this:

• Has anyone completed the installation? How difficult was it?
  • How did the sound quality improve?
  • Which option would you recommend for someone like me who likes music but is not an audiophile. DIY or Standard?
  • What the heck is the "DSP" and why is it so much more expensive than just the harness itself?
Price is definitely a factor for me and I don't want to spend a ton of money without knowing what I'm getting myself into. Here is the link for those who haven't seen it: Model 3 SR Premium Audio Upgrade | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

Thanks in advance and hopefully this community can give me some clarity on if it's worth diving into this

I did reversed polarity on the wire harness, on passenger side. Got lazy and did it on the tweeter on the driver side. Switching it back is easy if ever have to. I wrapped it in Tesa Tape and it doesn't even look like I touched it.
I checked the polarity on all my speakers today and found that the 2 front door woofers, the right mirror tweeter, the left A pillar tweeter, and the left rear shelf speaker all have wrong polarity. How come? I thought they are factory speakers so they should have correct polarity from the start. Since the 2 front woofers have wrong polarity, I wonder if they can considered as in phase in that case, I mean do I still have to change their polarity? What is the best and easiest way to change polarity on each of these categories of speaker?

I checked the polarity on all my speakers today and found that the 2 front door woofers, the right mirror tweeter, the left A pillar tweeter, and the left rear shelf speaker all have wrong polarity. How come? I thought they are factory speakers so they should have correct polarity from the start. Since the 2 front woofers have wrong polarity, I wonder if they can considered as in phase in that case, I mean do I still have to change their polarity? What is the best and easiest way to change polarity on each of these categories of speaker?

It is factory speakers but you did unplug the factory wire harness and now using the hansshow wire harness. Which polarity tester did you use? I tried the app on Android and didn't get consistent result. It was bang on with the polarity tester that I got from Amazon.

Wait - are you talking about the system as it comes from the factory before adding any wiring harness? What did you use to check the polarity (app, detector thingy or something else)?

I sometimes get inconsistent results with the app I posted. I think the app can be sensitive to input(s) from more than one speaker. I got better results when I used the balance controls to only check one quarter at a time. Also, you need to set the detection level fairly low and place the phone close to the speaker you are checking. When the weather warms up a little more I plan to test everything again and possibly cover the other speakers to prevent false readings from them. Unplugging speakers when running the test would give the best results.

Hey guys,

I have the Version E and haven't been fully satisfied with the sound at this point. Something is missing, there's no sound stage coming from the front, it's lacking.

I think the problem is with the center dash speaker and front woofers. They're muffled, muddied and hollow. It's even more obvious when turning off the DSP.

It was suggested by William many posts ago, that by turning off the DSP the original stock speakers will be only used, however when doing that, it does not return to the original speaker quality and performance.

- Is anybody else encountering the same lackluster sound from the center speaker with the DSP turn ON or OFF?
- Could this be a polarity issue?

Thanks!