Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow auto frunk for 2022 MYP emergency release will not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had issues with the new 2022 model Y performance with a lithium battery The emergency cable does not respond. The kit did not come with an extra cable that I’ve seen in some videos, but pulling the emergency release doesn’t do anything am I screwing it up. I’m still waiting on a response from the manufacture the only thing he asked me was to confirm a picture of a module, no response back

You must have the very latest kit with the 2 cable suction motor (1 cable to the bonnet lock and the other is the emergency release cable) - I understand how the suction bit works to pull the bonnet to its final position as a soft close but the emergency release lever is connected to the side of the body of the suction pump - not the release lever on the bonnet lock - and I cant work out just how the release could work.

I was seeking a solution myself with my Model 3 and scouring the internet your post came up.

I've just took delivery of the latest kit for the model 3 2020 model and the kit is labelled V4.3 with version 10 on the control box and instead of having the type of suction motor I've seen on all the Utube videos - the big rectangle box you stick and nylon tie onto the chassis I've got the new small suction motor with the two cables and for the life of me I cant see how the emergency release could work. Only picked up the kit yesterday evening (15th July) and intended to fit today but because I'm taking my Grandkids away for a week on Monday I've put the job off until i get back just in case this all gets a bit complicated.
The other difference with this new kit is it didn't include the new mounting strut brackets that replaces those on the body of the car - only the two brackets that replace the bonnet strut brackets.

The installation instruction papers are completely wrong and show the wrong lock for my car - and bugger all regarding the wiring connect up - but that bit is quite logical just looking at the connectors

I would be interested if you have found the solution so i will bookmark this post and check it when i get back.

I spent a little time looking at this new suction motor and noted the electrical plug has 8 pins - so this leads me to believe when you pull the release cable it connects electrically to the primary and secondary release actuators - and makes sense, however, the lack of a mechanical link would mean if either actuator failed or perhaps the 12 volt battery in the car fails then the release lever wont do anything - or in your case an internal fault with the control box or suction motor will result in the emergency release cable being inoperative.

When i get back I will install my kit but I am also going to add two more cables - one to each actuator and put those cables into the wheel arch area either side- maybe just tucked into the arch liner, just two bicycle brake cables should do it - and hopefully I will never need them but i will have a mechanical link to ensure I can never be locked out of the frunk.