Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow auto frunk warped my hood?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I'm sorry this happened, I feel your pain. I'll preface my thoughts with the fact that I have the same hardware installed on mine, and it worked perfectly the first time, and has for about a year now but that doesn't mean there aren't bad units out there.

OP, you said "Hi all, I tried to install a hansshow auto frunk this weekend but unfortunately I never could get the hood to shut all the way. I tried a million different things but got to frustrated after replacing the struts and brackets 3 or 4 times." . Can you explain exactly what you were doing to try to get it to close all the way?

My guess (and, this is just a guess) is that when you tried to install the hardware, either something got trapped between the hood and the frunk tub when closing OR the latch was mis-aligned when you were trying to make it work. A mis-aligned latch would pull down on the hood in an odd manner, causing the (already very light weight) aluminum hood to bend. Aluminum is hard to body work, so you may just need to replace it.

Yikes! I head some auto-frunk models have a redundant "hood closed" sensor to be double sure its closed. My understanding is they offer firmware updates, too.
Ironically, Hansshow released a video this morning about this:

Ugh sorry brother, I would be pissed too. As mentioned above there was a post a year ago, theory crafting that Tesla sc force closed frunk causing it to warp.

I hope the struts are not that strong to warp hood. My TeslaOffer Frunk Mod is #1 on my list of aftermarket accessory I performed on my car. #2 is probably MPP coilovers.

I’m curious though how much it going to cost you to re-align your hood?

At least this didn’t happen to you
Hood hinges do not need to be removed to install the kit, but you should still have reference marks where it was originally aligned at.

This past weekend, I was able to complete the installation of the Hansshow Frunk on my Model Y. Although some fine-tuning was necessary, the system is functioning well. I did discover, however, that a combination of tape and zip ties are required to keep the suction motor in place.
After a few drives, it wouldn't latch all the way - this was due to the excessive slack in the wire caused by utilizing just the double-sided tape, the motor disloged and moved from the previous location. If I didnt remove the tub I would have spent hours adjusting the latch trying to fix.

Don't hurry things - that's my best advice. Put on nytril gloves and use the proper tools. A fun project, but one that might bite you if you don't pay attention.

Reactions: tom @ eas
what will bite you are those struts. I helped install an EV Offer one (basically the same idea). I had thin metal sliced right through my thin gloves. Sadly, the space is tight where the struts are and it's hard to get leverage to pop them off.

Also, even with marking the previous position, we had to adjust the hood latch a couple of times to get the hood lines to look right.

Reactions: K1Woods
<Snip>
Someone about a year ago posted a similar issue happened while their car was at a Tesla Service center. They were trying to get Tesla to pay for damages, Tesla claimed the damages were because of the autofrunk struts. Not sure if the guy ever got them to pay for it. But damages looked very similar.

That would be me. The original service center that my car went to pretty much told me to go pound sand. After the last service visit there, the vehicle was returned to a different service center whereupon it was inspected and returned to me with further damage. This service center agreed that the vehicle should never have been returned to me in the condition it was.

They had the hood replaced and I got my Model Y back with a crappy paint job and swirls on the newly painted hood and additional swirls on the fenders, for free. In trying to rectify the cluster of a mess, the same body shop then added additional holograms to the paintwork along with numerous swirls all over it. In the end it was sent to another body shop, where they wanted to repaint the whole car. The owner of that body shop advised against it.

The body shop did the best they could and finally almost 2 weeks ago I got the vehicle back after a coyote had committed suicide using my vehicle for its demise. The body shop told me that they were no longer prepared to do any further remediation of the paintwork since there wouldn't be any clear coat left. So all in all I'm the not so proud owner of a Model Y that has hundreds of scratches on it from the crappy work done while in the care of Tesla and the body shop that replaced the hood, which incidentally, Tesla are no longer using.

On the positive side (if there is one), the struts didn't cause the bend in my hood and both body shops stated that it was impossible for the hood to be bent in the manner that it was by the auto frunk. Funnily enough I've used the frunk more since the hood was replaced and it hasn't bent yet. I purchased the Tesla Offer (now EV Offer) funk opener and I had an issue with it this week, whereby it wouldn't latch. With help from their tech support and 2 presses of the button on the ECU, the frunk opener is now working again, as it has since day one of installation.

Some on this forum accused me of trying to scam Tesla by claiming that I screwed up the installation and bent the hood, which is why I've stayed off the forum for a while and for my own sanity while I handled the crap that Tesla had dealt me. I have enough evidence now to deal with Tesla in court, so that's where we'll be heading once they fix the annoying lane departure warnings I get, even when I'm driving straight ahead.

For the record, I have no affiliation with EV Offer whatsoever. Would I buy from them again? Damn right I would. Would I buy another Tesla? Highly unlikely especially when they have the audacity to call me a difficult customer, because I only want what I paid for. Do I recommend other people buy a Tesla? Yes I do, because my $#1tty experience is very unlikely to be theirs. Does Tesla certfied mean anything? Not in my book.

FYI, Tesla hoods are very thin and flexible aluminum. I can bend in half with my bare hands (not that I am going to do). The flip side is that it is very easy to correct any alignment issue on the hood.
You can only do so much by turning those rubber bump stops on the hood. You have to physically push/pull/bend the hood to align perfectly.
A lot of 2022 march and later build cars have distinct misalignment on the hood. When you stand in front of the car looking at the hood, you see that the right side of the T emblem is slightly raised up and either or both sides of the ends are pushed in. Also, the alignment with the fenders are present. either fender or hood is too high or too low.
By bending/flexing the hood, you can fine tune the amount of bend/gaps easily. Also, the hood hinges are very flexible as well, so that you can push/pull side to side to make the necessary adjustment.
Enjoy the Tesla owner panel QC/adjustment!!

FYI, Tesla hoods are very thin and flexible aluminum. I can bend in half with my bare hands (not that I am going to do). The flip side is that it is very easy to correct any alignment issue on the hood.
You can only do so much by turning those rubber bump stops on the hood. You have to physically push/pull/bend the hood to align perfectly.
A lot of 2022 march and later build cars have distinct misalignment on the hood. When you stand in front of the car looking at the hood, you see that the right side of the T emblem is slightly raised up and either or both sides of the ends are pushed in. Also, the alignment with the fenders are present. either fender or hood is too high or too low.
By bending/flexing the hood, you can fine tune the amount of bend/gaps easily. Also, the hood hinges are very flexible as well, so that you can push/pull side to side to make the necessary adjustment.
Enjoy the Tesla owner panel QC/adjustment!!
Hmm, what changed in March of this year to cause that? Same factory, same body....

The small indents on either side of the T emblem can easily be corrected by Tesla mobile service (Latch adjustment to relieve). It seems to be a common but easy adjustment.
It will reduce most of the dent on either side of the T, but it needs "manual" manipulation on every corner, gap, mating surface with fenders and front bumper. So, Tesla owners become the sheet metal experts on top of everything else that Tesla did not fix at the factory. LOL