Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow auto frunk warped my hood?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nbrantr

Feb 5, 2022
TX
Hi all, I tried to install a hansshow auto frunk this weekend but unfortunately I never could get the hood to shut all the way. I tried a million different things but got to frustrated after replacing the struts and brackets 3 or 4 times. So I decided to return this piece of junk kit and reinstall the OEM struts and latch but it appears the hood is now warped or something. Has anybody seen similar? The right side sits very high (I can slide my fingers in there). If I push down it looks like it should, but I can't get it to stay. I tried adjusting the latch, to no avail. I also noticed the latch had to be all the way to one side now in order for it to go in the "V" - doesn't line up with the marks I made beforehand at all. I appreciate any advice, I'm so mad and frustrated

Attachments

• 20220205_092206.jpg
    20220205_092206.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 20220205_092225.jpg
    20220205_092225.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape
You know, I read the title as "WRAPPED" and wondered how thick the wrap was to keep you from closing your hood. Guess I've been reading too many wrap threads.

Those photos look really bad. I've never seen such a thing - Can't tell if it is warped from the photos, but sure does look like it. You might be able to correct it since it is not an aluminum hood, but it'll never be the same. Unless something is seriously messed up with the hinges, I'd think best bet is to get a replacement hood. got pics of it open?

Oh, and maybe "WRAP" the hood if you can't get the paint to match on the replacement hood - might look cool that way! :)

• Disagree
Reactions: m5james
Wow, that looks bad. Sorry to hear you've experienced this! Without knowing all the details of everything you've tried to do, by looking at your images, it definitely looks warped. If you were to take a pic facing the front of the car, and if the alignment of the hood looks right (the hood is centred when closed), but there's still that large gap on the right, then something bent that out of shape.

I can speak with experience for the Hansshow kit because I installed this with my buddy on his MYLR last year October. We also had a few hiccups at first and thought how crappy this kit was as well, but luckily, communicating with the Hansshow troubleshooting team through WhatsApp helped us fix the issues.

In a nutshell, after installing the kit, the hood wouldn't fully close automatically. It had to still be manually pressed down to latch. They sent us new software to download and update the control box with an SD card, and it worked great for a few days, but then one day the hood wouldn't fully close again because the latch didn't fully engage. They sent us another software update, now it's been operating great to this day (It sounded like the update made the actuators pull a little longer to ensure the latch catches correctly ensuring the hood is closed). My buddy's ego and showing-off power are unstoppable when he visits his local grocery stores now.

My guess is something went wrong with the strut on that side (assuming you didn't do anything that applied that much force to warp the hood that way). Did you notice the warped area after installing Hansshow's powered struts, or after you removed it and put back the OE Tesla struts? Maybe the Hansshow strut was installed incorrectly (in a different position?) that when it attempted to close, the force of the actuator bent the hood during its closing phase after making contact with the latch... just talking out loud right now. I know the supplied instructions weren't the greatest to follow. I needed to refer to YouTube installs instead.

Because your hood is now bent, repairing that is the only thing you can do at this point. Just wanted to give you some insight of my experience with the Hanshhow kit if it helps you figure out what went awry.

okay I took the latch back off and both OEM struts off so the hood is completely free. I thought perhaps the struts were putting it in a bind or maybe the latch needed to be adjusted somehow. When I close the hood though, it is still warped on that side. I put a straight edge along both sides and you can tell an obvious difference. The bow in the hood is right at the end of where the hinge connects to the hood subframe so I guess the Hansshow struts applied too much force and bent it. I did try maybe 20 times (via the app) to close/open the frunk when the Hansshow module was installed. It would come down very slowly and then stop short of latching and then start beeping a few times. I guess it was hitting the force limit of the module (and in turn damaging the hood).

I'm so pissed. Obviously I'm going to ask for a complete refund on the Hansshow. Do y'all think the Tesla Mobile repairman could fix something like this? I'm in Dallas. Maybe take it to the Tesla repair place or would it be considered body/structural damage that a body shop would need to fix? This is sounding so expensive, I wonder if Hansshow would (help) cover damages?

okay I took the latch back off and both OEM struts off so the hood is completely free. I thought perhaps the struts were putting it in a bind or maybe the latch needed to be adjusted somehow. When I close the hood though, it is still warped on that side. I put a straight edge along both sides and you can tell an obvious difference. The bow in the hood is right at the end of where the hinge connects to the hood subframe so I guess the Hansshow struts applied too much force and bent it. I did try maybe 20 times (via the app) to close/open the frunk when the Hansshow module was installed. It would come down very slowly and then stop short of latching and then start beeping a few times. I guess it was hitting the force limit of the module (and in turn damaging the hood).

I'm so pissed. Obviously I'm going to ask for a complete refund on the Hansshow. Do y'all think the Tesla Mobile repairman could fix something like this? I'm in Dallas. Maybe take it to the Tesla repair place or would it be considered body/structural damage that a body shop would need to fix? This is sounding so expensive, I wonder if Hansshow would (help) cover damages?
Sorry your hood got warped 😪. I highly doubt hanshow will help cover damage Costs. On the psge for the autofrunk and all products they state in the Notes area “3.The problems caused by incorrect installation shall be borne by yourself”. They could easily claim correct installation results in a working product despite their poor documentation. that Being said, you can always ask. If you take hood repair to Tesla, don’t be surprised if they refer you to a tesla approved body shop. Many tesla service centers perform a Handful of bodywork type tasks.

Reactions: 101dals
Ugh so sorry to see this. I’d be pissed too, but I can’t see them paying for the damage. I’ve seen other threads of people having a problem installing this, while others have gotten it to work fine. Definitely seems like a pain to get it right and they will most certainly argue that improper installation was the cause. Hate to say it, but I think this is one that you will just have to eat the cost. Hopefully a body shop can repair at a reasonable cost. Good luck.

Reactions: 101dals
Those photos look really bad. I've never seen such a thing - Can't tell if it is warped from the photos, but sure does look like it. You might be able to correct it since it is not an aluminum hood, but it'll never be the same. Unless something is seriously messed up with the hinges, I'd think best bet is to get a replacement hood. got pics of it open?
I thought the hood WAS aluminum, hence the need to close it a specific way?

It looks like the passenger side strut may have actuated while the hood was still fully latched, or the hood was forcibly closed while the passenger side strut was not fully retracted.

Someone about a year ago posted a similar issue happened while their car was at a Tesla Service center. They were trying to get Tesla to pay for damages, Tesla claimed the damages were because of the autofrunk struts. Not sure if the guy ever got them to pay for it. But damages looked very similar.

Looks to me like somewhere along the way you didn’t have the frunk tub correctly seated and in your noted “million attempts” you bent the hood. Rather simple install (love mine) but not necessarily for someone not mechanical. The only way it would warp the center is if you had an obstruction which is why the tell you to test manually Before installing the tub and internals. It’s an aluminum hood, carefully bend it back or have someone qualified help you.

Ugh sorry brother, I would be pissed too. As mentioned above there was a post a year ago, theory crafting that Tesla sc force closed frunk causing it to warp.

I hope the struts are not that strong to warp hood. My TeslaOffer Frunk Mod is #1 on my list of aftermarket accessory I performed on my car. #2 is probably MPP coilovers.

I’m curious though how much it going to cost you to re-align your hood?

At least this didn’t happen to you

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
It looks to me like there are no major stress areas (kinks, paint breaks), and as the skin is aluminum, and the sub structure of the hood is likely steel, I would suspect it might be possible to carefully bend it back to an acceptable state to match the fender curve. I had to do a lot of this type of work when restoring my old MGB, and panel bending - with pieces of wood and blankets is pretty standard fare on that kind of restoration. Due to metal memory, you always need to go a bit beyond what you want so it will relax to the desired state. Doing this on the car makes it easier, however it is also easy to damage an adjacent panel, so it should be done on a bench.

This kind of body work is tricky, so although it isn't in the usual domain of PDR work, I would try your local PDR shop, or possibly a custom body shop to see if they would be willing to attempt to carefully twist the frunk back to its normal curvature.

Failing that, I think a new (or wreckers yard) frunk panel is the way to go. Very sorry you had this experience :(

Ugh sorry brother, I would be pissed too. As mentioned above there was a post a year ago, theory crafting that Tesla sc force closed frunk causing it to warp.

I hope the struts are not that strong to warp hood. My TeslaOffer Frunk Mod is #1 on my list of aftermarket accessory I performed on my car. #2 is probably MPP coilovers.

I’m curious though how much it going to cost you to re-align your hood?

At least this didn’t happen to you
Yikes! I head some auto-frunk models have a redundant "hood closed" sensor to be double sure its closed. My understanding is they offer firmware updates, too.