Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Dashboard Touchscreen V2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really, really want a heads up display like the one in my wifes Genesis.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: rjpjnk
I've had the display for a year or so in my 2018 Model 3, thought I'd share my thoughts:

First, I basically ignore it. There are features that I might like if I got them working (Carplay, Waze interface), but hooking it up to Wifi and Bluetooth the way they told me (it's complicated and not well-explained...basically it inserts itself between your phone and your Tesla) it was sort of a mess of Bluetooth and wifi and hotspot connenctions that all have to remember to connect the right way every time you start up the system. I remember it making it making it a pain to get my Tesla to connect to my home WiFi when parked. So I gave up on those features. It's basically it's a pretty speedometer and tire-pressure gauge for me.

While it has a motor temp display, which I like, I was hoping that over time they would add some other cool features available on similar products, like battery and powertrain coolant temps and targets, how the coolant is being routed throughout the car, fan rates, charging status and stats while charging, etc. But as far as I can see they haven't added any new features in the last year. That's my biggest disappointment.

Brian was a little optimistic here:
There is not "a lot more coming for it". Not at this point, anyway.

Installation wasn't too bad, though apparently you really do have to disconnect the 12V both at the 12V battery and under the rear seat (we did, but I've heard people who didn't damaged some of their Tesla electronics). I installed the GPS, but not the front end camera (I have it, just never installed it - that might actually be nice - I should probably try it before I give up and sell it).

My main issue is that Hansshow documentation and support is both terrible and very strange.
  • They do not host the latest firmware in a known, public place - you have to talk to tech support before they send you a link to a google drive with the files. There's no way to even tell if there is an update, you just have to ask them periodically or come across a post on TMC or somewhere that mentions it (and often has a link to the Google Drive for the update).
  • They will not talk to you via email. They insist on messaging over WhatsApp. Even then there is no guarantee they will respond to you quickly or at all.
  • The documentation is just wretched. Your best bet is to watch a YouTube video of someone doing it (I think that's what Hansshow's plan is, actually - just have some customer show everyone else how to do it). (I also have a Hansshow power frunk, and those directions are comically bad. There are 2 or 3 dozen steps, each one described with a line of text and a low res 2cm x 2cm photo that most of the time you can't see anything in. If you are lucky enough to find and download the PDF and zoom in, the photos stay at the same tiny resolution - there's no more detail.) Basically, it feels like Hansshow hates their customers.
Positives:
  • While it does block airflow, it's not so much that it makes a difference to me. Maybe if you live in Phoenix or the Lut Desert in Iran and you need every last precious bit of cold available to land directly on your chest and face, it would be a problem.
  • It didn't blow up my existing Tesla electronics
  • It has survived 1 or 2 dozen Tesla updates.
  • The installed product actually looks pretty good.
Negatives:
  • See everything above the Positives
Would I buy one for my wife's Y? No.

Would I have bought it knowing what I know now? Absolutely not. And that's really more the awful support more than the product. This is a deeply weird company that doesn't provide the bare minimum amount of support (host the update files where everyone can see them and communicate via anything but whatsapp). I had a bad experience with this screen and with my wife's auto frunk opener.

I’m continually surprised that people keep buying Hansshow products. Yours isn’t the first story of poor customer service and I’m sure it won’t be the last.

I feel like it’s one of those companies where if by some miracle you don’t have to interact with them post-purchase, and whatever you buy from them is either simple enough that it basically isn’t likely to go wrong or can’t be installed wrong (e.g. illuminated door sills) then you’ll probably be fine. If, however many months or years down the line something goes wrong - you’re probably in for some pain.

I’ve had nothing but great service from EVOffer, who are in the same region and sell similar products, and while they have the same sort of issue (it isn’t for me, but I can see how it would be for some) of using Telegram or WhatsApp for support, they (Ray) are always responsive etc.

Also their firmware is on a GitHub repository, and the only confusing part is that they’ve released several versions of both their trunk and frunk kits. Again, any confusion is resolved easily over message.

EVOffer aren’t as cheap as Hansshow though, which I imagine is why some people who are price driven end up going with them. For me peace of mind is priceless. I don’t mind paying extra up front to not have to roll the dice on whether I’ll get any support or warranty when something goes wrong.

I've had the display for a year or so in my 2018 Model 3, thought I'd share my thoughts:

First, I basically ignore it. There are features that I might like if I got them working (Carplay, Waze interface), but hooking it up to Wifi and Bluetooth the way they told me (it's complicated and not well-explained...basically it inserts itself between your phone and your Tesla) it was sort of a mess of Bluetooth and wifi and hotspot connenctions that all have to remember to connect the right way every time you start up the system. I remember it making it making it a pain to get my Tesla to connect to my home WiFi when parked. So I gave up on those features. It's basically it's a pretty speedometer and tire-pressure gauge for me.

While it has a motor temp display, which I like, I was hoping that over time they would add some other cool features available on similar products, like battery and powertrain coolant temps and targets, how the coolant is being routed throughout the car, fan rates, charging status and stats while charging, etc. But as far as I can see they haven't added any new features in the last year. That's my biggest disappointment.

Installation wasn't too bad, though apparently you really do have to disconnect the 12V both at the 12V battery and under the rear seat (we did, but I've heard people who didn't damaged some of their Tesla electronics). I installed the GPS, but not the front end camera (I have it, just never installed it - that might actually be nice - I should probably try it before I give up and sell it).

My main issue is that Hansshow documentation and support is both terrible and very strange.
  • They do not host the latest firmware in a known, public place - you have to talk to tech support before they send you a link to a google drive with the files. There's no way to even tell if there is an update, you just have to ask them periodically or come across a post on TMC or somewhere that mentions it (and often has a link to the Google Drive for the update).
  • They will not talk to you via email. They insist on messaging over WhatsApp. Even then there is no guarantee they will respond to you quickly or at all.
  • The documentation is just wretched. Your best bet is to watch a YouTube video of someone doing it (I think that's what Hansshow's plan is, actually - just have some customer show everyone else how to do it). (I also have a Hansshow power frunk, and those directions are comically bad. There are 2 or 3 dozen steps, each one described with a line of text and a low res 2cm x 2cm photo that most of the time you can't see anything in. If you are lucky enough to find and download the PDF and zoom in, the photos stay at the same tiny resolution - there's no more detail.) Basically, it feels like Hansshow hates their customers.
Positives:
  • While it does block airflow, it's not so much that it makes a difference to me. Maybe if you live in Phoenix or the Lut Desert in Iran and you need every last precious bit of cold available to land directly on your chest and face, it would be a problem.
Negatives:

Would I have bought it knowing what I know now? Absolutely not. And that's really more the awful support more than the product. This is a deeply weird company that doesn't provide the bare minimum amount of support (host the update files where everyone can see them and communicate via anything but whatsapp). I had a bad experience with this screen and with my wife's auto frunk opener.
Thanks, I had purchased it, scheduled an appt to get it installed for $350-400 and then after some bad reviews i saw I decided to just return it. Spent more money on phone mounts, one behind wheel and one above screen and I think that's good enough. Just needed waze, YouTube, netflix. In fact, I have a chrome book in the car that I just use instead when I really go on a long drive which is still cheaper overall.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Hi! Do you know where to get updates for the 8.8 version? Is it the one you use? I'm having a lot of troubles since the 2022.28 update. Thanks!

Positives:
Negatives:

I’m continually surprised that people keep buying Hansshow products. Yours isn’t the first story of poor customer service and I’m sure it won’t be the last.

One reason I would imagine, is that they always manage to convince someone to basically provide support for them, or there are always people posting to sing the praises of these products, even though hansshow seems to drop products really quickly.

You end up with threads like this one here, with a user who somehow manages to have hansshow's ear to get responses and unreleased firmware updates, when others cant even get replies at all:

Reactions: Durzel