Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Electric Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have the Hansshow electric frunk installed on their M3? If so, how do you like it? I just ordered a kit and will be trying to install it myself. o_O

Given what I have seen posted about hansshow here on TMC (which is actually a lot, if you search you will see what I mean), there isnt any way I would personally buy anything of theirs.

The very TL ; DR version of the feedback is, they iterate on the product fairly often, and if you have problems installing, they will sort of help you until they dont, then they ghost you.

Reactions: TomT
Given what I have seen posted about hansshow here on TMC (which is actually a lot, if you search you will see what I mean), there isnt any way I would personally buy anything of theirs.

The very TL ; DR version of the feedback is, they iterate on the product fairly often, and if you have problems installing, they will sort of help you until they dont, then they ghost you.
The one time I needed help from them they were pretty good, and I was positive that we would not be able to resolve the issue. They proved me wrong. YMMV.

The one time I needed help from them they were pretty good, and I was positive that we would not be able to resolve the issue. They proved me wrong. YMMV.

Thats like most things, sure. I just have seen more reports from people about that specific company than most others here. One such thread is this one:

I’ll chime in to provide another reference point. I bought/installed both powered trunk and frunk kits from Hansshow around October of 2019. I think the kits I have are actually their 1st or 2nd gen versions. So, quite old/vintage compared to the latest version being marketed/sold. Installed everything myself, of course. Frunk was super easy/quick to install. Trunk was a little more challenging & time consuming, but certainly not difficult. I use both the trunk & frunk quite a bit (almost on a daily basis), and both have performed flawlessly from day one and continue to function without any problems. Hopefully, that will continue.

I chose Hansshow over Tesla Offer (now called EVOffer) because at that time, the Hansshow kit did not require tapping into the CANbus, where as Tesla Offer kit did. There was/is a minor risk that whenever Tesla sends out one of their routine software updates to the fleet, it could effect the functionality of any aftermarket kit that is connected to the vehicle’s computer/CANbus system. So, I viewed the Hansshow product as the more stable, trouble-free and future-proof solution. In reality, I think there have been very few (perhaps only one) Tesla update which may have cause some of the EVOffer kits to not operate correctly/fully. When that happened, I think EVOffer responded very quickly and provided their customers with an update to resolve the issue. Those who have been using the EVOffer product for more than a few years can chime in with perhaps more accurate information.

Thankfully, I have not needed any support from Hansshow. Before going in, I already knew/accepted their service might be sketchy. Personally, I think EVOffer has the better reputation for service/support. So, if service is important to you, then you may be better off going with EVOffer. I think both companies have good quality products and when installed correctly, both products should provide many years of trouble-free operation.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks all. Yeah, I've read mixed reviews on it but really like the idea of having an electric frunk. I actually bought the kit via a place that claims they do installation too but they are in SF and I am in NY. The owner said he would help me via facetime or duo if I need help. I guess I'll see when the time comes.

Well, I did it. The kit came and my friend and I did both of our cars at the same time. Basically, we did one step on one car then did the same on the second car. Installation went fairly ok with the exception the instructions that came with the kit really sucked. We watched a few Youtube videos as references. The installation(parts) alone to get it to the point where we can test it wasn't that bad, it was the cable management(hiding the cables) and troubleshooting that took us a bit longer. Initially, the hood didn't come down far enough to actually latch in. So we made some adjustments to the latch part, played around with the height, and left and right, and we finally got it to work. My biggest concern right now is that the most recent version of the kit no longer comes with the emergency release cable. So if power fails, there isn't a way to open the frunk. Hansshow support told us there is no need for the cable anymore. Told us to tap power to the cables in the tow area to get power.
I've recently read someone with this kit couldn't open their frunk and the emergency release cable didn't work for them either. They had to take their car to Tesla and they went underneath the car to reach in the latch area and did some work to release the latch. I think they said it cost them about $875.....
So far it's been working fine(knocking on wood).

spring change doesn't apply to the 2022s as the design changed,
That is correct. I opened mine up and I can't see an easy way to change out the spring (or what to get to replace it).
2022Spring.jpg

2022Spring2.jpg