Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow frunk opener failure - Frunk won't open.....please help!!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the long and short of it, I installed a frunk opener couple months ago and it has been working flawlessly and being used regularly. Last night when the wife got home it won't open, you can hear the latch unlatching it just won't pop open. Please help!!!!!! I need to get this open............
TIA

Could be a bad latch. You could try to help leverage it up if you think the latch is unlatching, do it at your own risk. Regardless, you likely need to open a service request.

EDIT: Missed that this was an auto-opener. Is the OEM latch unlatching? Is the car unlocked?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucas007
Could be a bad latch. You could try to help leverage it up if you think the latch is unlatching, do it at your own risk. Regardless, you likely need to open a service request.

EDIT: Missed that this was an auto-opener. Is the OEM latch unlatching? Is the car unlocked?
The car is unlocked and it shows on the nmonitor that it will open then closes right after. Is there a way to unlatch it from under the wheel well?

Hey Fellas, I just got her opened and found the culprit. It was the auto frunk mechanism and it froze to close. I took off the wheel well cover and reached the locking mechanism and opened it and as soon as I did that the frunk popped open. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will be contacting Henshaw, now I can still pop open the frunk and it will still close with the help of manually shutting it.

Reactions: richyrich
Hey Fellas, I just got her opened and found the culprit. It was the auto frunk mechanism and it froze to close. I took off the wheel well cover and reached the locking mechanism and opened it and as soon as I did that the frunk popped open. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will be contacting Henshaw, now I can still pop open the frunk and it will still close with the help of manually shutting it.
Thanks for sharing the solution. Its one of the things that scares me most about my auto-frunk. I've got the manual pull release, but I've never tested it. I was thinking of running cable from the battery to the towhook and capping it off. That way if the 12V dies, I can connect it to a battery charger (or another 12V).

Its a bit overkill, I have the wire already, just not sure what size eyelets I need to attach it to the 12V. A younger me would have just stripped the wire and tightened it down under the stock cables, but I want a cleaner install.

Thanks for sharing the solution. Its one of the things that scares me most about my auto-frunk. I've got the manual pull release, but I've never tested it. I was thinking of running cable from the battery to the towhook and capping it off. That way if the 12V dies, I can connect it to a battery charger (or another 12V).

Its a bit overkill, I have the wire already, just not sure what size eyelets I need to attach it to the 12V. A younger me would have just stripped the wire and tightened it down under the stock cables, but I want a cleaner install.
I did contact Henshaw and hopefully they will replace the mechanism and at that time of install I will be installing a pull cable for emergency just as I did when I used to install shaved door handles/door poppers(good ole’ days). If I were you I would test out your pull cable while you can and to make sure it will work when and if you’ll need it.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Thanks for the tip! Same thing happened to me. I had to dismantle the plunger in order to release the frunk. The emergency cable would not do anything. Now hopefully Hansshow will send me a replacement.

Just an FYI, this probably isn't' just a Hanshow issue. In cold or freezing weather post car wash, my front latch freezes up as well and mine isn't aftermarket. Tesla's replaced the latch before but issue still returns after freezing cold weather. The only quick fix I could find is pour some hot water around the frunk latch area and it'll loosen up. I've been told heavily greasing the latch may help.