Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Model 3 Power Trunk v4 Not Opening or Closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone having issues with their Hansshow Power Trunk v4 not opening or closing?

Here's a quick video of me attempting to initialize the control box in which you'll hear 2 beeps, then the unit seems to shutdown after 5 seconds and doesn't respond to any commands (tail lift button, tesla app, tesla screen, or trunk handle).

I just got this unit this past week during the Black Friday sale and noticed they updated the control box from the silver metal box to a cheaper black plastic box with an internal buzzer and no visible LED indicators or button.

Specs:
  • 2020 Model 3 Performance-
  • Tesla Software v2020.44.15
  • Hannsshow Power Trunk v4 w/CAN Bus connected

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.58.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.58.32 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,333
Is anyone having issues with their Hansshow Power Trunk v4 not opening or closing?

Here's a quick video of me attempting to initialize the control box in which you'll hear 2 beeps, then the unit seems to shutdown after 5 seconds and doesn't respond to any commands (tail lift button, tesla app, tesla screen, or trunk handle).

I just got this unit this past week during the Black Friday sale and noticed they updated the control box from the silver metal box to a cheaper black plastic box with an internal buzzer and no visible LED indicators or button.

Specs:
  • Tesla Software v2020.44.15
  • Hannsshow Power Trunk v4 w/CAN Bus connected
Those instructions look terrifying! I’m pretty handy but I take my hat off to anyone who decoded those to install this without setting their car on fire! Good luck.

Reactions: LionXng
Have you talked to them via the Whatsapp? I spoke to them yesterday asking about a missing buzzer and the box having no light and as you have posted its a newer update and buzzer built in and as you reported no indicator light.

My first thought is check the fuse and check the ground to make sure you getting good contact. Please keep following up with this post! I plan to install this weekend my self but now I'm worried

I've reached out to Hansshow via WhatsApp earlier this week but unfortunately support has not yet been able to put me in contact with an engineer to help me troubleshoot. For now I manually closed the trunk so I can still drive the car, and if need can manually open the trunk by low crawling through the back and hitting the manual trunk release.

I installed the ground wire to the rear headlight area where Hansshow recommended in the instructions and initially installed the power wire under the rear passenger seat for simplicity, but then re-connected it under the front passenger area as the Hansshow instructions recommended but still didn't work.

Going to re-check the wiring later today along with another member who reported their Signal wiring plug being incorrectly wired from factory.

Highly recommend doing a quick function check with all the components in the kit before tearing apart the car like I did.

12/4 Update. Still no luck getting the trunk to open or close.

Verified the Trunk wires were matched correctly (directly wired fish male + female wires).

Still haven't had any luck getting ahold of an Hansshow engineer via WhatsApp and not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold out without a functioning trunk.

I figured it out. There's a black 4 pin plug that's on the signal state line that you need to connect to the #8 slot in the control box.

Good call on that hidden plug that wasn't in the instructions! That fixed the open/close issue for me too and the trunk now works.

In case others face the same problem due to the latest 6th edition instructions not showing any plugs connected to slot #8 on the new control box, I added an orange arrow showing where this random 4 pin black plug connects.

Updated Instructions.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Do you need to remove the rear bumper even if you don’t have the kick sensor?

I also didn't need to remove the bumper or tail lights for the strut wires. I had originally routed the strut wires through the tail light holes as @magrider mentioned, but ended up re-doing this and routed through the 2 blue grommets in the lower trunk area as shown in the Hansshow v4 install video. This seemed like a better route for the strut wires to prevent against potential water intrusion through the tail light holes.

Reactions: todd2fst4u
I also didn't need to remove the bumper or tail lights for the strut wires. I had originally routed the strut wires through the tail light holes as @magrider mentioned, but ended up re-doing this and routed through the 2 blue grommets in the lower trunk area as shown in the Hansshow v4 install video. This seemed like a better route for the strut wires to prevent against potential water intrusion through the tail light holes.

Interesting I didn't know about this, from the Hannshow video it seems you have to take the weather seal on the trunk lip off and route the strut cable between the cracks? Wouldn't this cause a bulge on the weather seal? Anyway I made sure to have a drip loop on the tail light route, hopefully no water issues will check it in some time I guess.

Another thing to watch out for is put electrical tape around your wretch when tapping power. I accidentally shorted out the car and the screen lit up like Christmas tree with errors when tapping power. Had to do a hard reset by unplugging the plugin in the back seat in order to fix it.

It's really hard to tell in the Hansshow install video and instructions, but routing the strut wires through the blue grommets goes through the crack between and taillight and trunk body, thus not causing the trunk weather stripping to bulge. You do however have to lift the weather stripping a bit in order to fish the strut wires through the blue grommet hole, but its easily put back into place without any additional adhesive.

Screenshot_20201207-110646_Gallery.jpg

Similar to the original post topic, I ran into a scenario where the Trunk fails to close when attempting to press the Close button on the Tesla Screen.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Scenario: Open Trunk via new Tailgate button and Close using the Tesla Screen.

The Closed button is greyed out on the Tesla Screen and does not let you press close on the screen.

Specs:
  • Tesla Software v2020.44.25
  • Hansshow Power Trunk v4 (w/CAN Bus installed)
  • Hansshow Control Box (new black plastic box, firmware version: unknown)