Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow New 2023 Model Y 9" HUD Instrument Cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look at these and wonder…. What’s the point?

Installing a most likely (as expressed in above posts) low quality extra screen to do what? Car play?

The in built system is more than capable. No offense to anyone, just don’t understand what benefit you get from this.
I have not taken delivery of my Model Y yet, but i am looking at something like this, but i will not commit to buy before i have the car and have driven it.

The main concern here is the lack of a speedo in front of me, offcourse every single car i have owned for the past 25 years have had it, and right now i fear that, having to look down and to the side for the speed would be kind of annoying.

Maybe when i get the car, i will adapt and not need it, but honestly, right now i think i am going to hate the fact that i have no speed indication in front of me.

I get it, but honestly, normally you have to look straight down, with Tesla you just look down the same amount but at an angle…

They car has the option to come when you go over the limit, honestly it removes your need to even need to look at the speedo. Or put on autopilot and let it manage

Reactions: sunman
I get it, but honestly, normally you have to look straight down, with Tesla you just look down the same amount but at an angle…

They car has the option to come when you go over the limit, honestly it removes your need to even need to look at the speedo. Or put on autopilot and let it manage
I get it, it is probably just something that one needs to get used to.

The model S and model X, does come with an instrument cluster in front of the driver though...

I look at these and wonder…. What’s the point?

Installing a most likely (as expressed in above posts) low quality extra screen to do what? Car play?

The in built system is more than capable. No offense to anyone, just don’t understand what benefit you get from this.

For me I would just like a driver focussed small display with essential info. I have no desire at all for essentially a second onboard computer of dubious quality with it's own nav, apps, etc etc. That's why I'm veering towards their ultra mini display, I just wish it was a little bigger.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I'm going to open up a separate thread for this, but I purchased a Carpuride W103. Unfortunately, it's ability to stream audio over BT to the car is broken so it's a no-go for me. At this point, there are no good name brand headunits that can be used for CarPlay in a Tesla.

My best solution at this point is putting the iPhone up on my Magbak charger which is on the upper left corner of the screen and using native BT to stream my audio and if I have Waze/Google Maps going, any alerts get projected through the car speakers. I wish there was a more elegant solution but these half-baked Chinese units are a major letdown.

I'm going to open up a separate thread for this, but I purchased a Carpuride W103. Unfortunately, it's ability to stream audio over BT to the car is broken so it's a no-go for me. At this point, there are no good name brand headunits that can be used for CarPlay in a Tesla.

My best solution at this point is putting the iPhone up on my Magbak charger which is on the upper left corner of the screen and using native BT to stream my audio and if I have Waze/Google Maps going, any alerts get projected through the car speakers. I wish there was a more elegant solution but these half-baked Chinese units are a major letdown.
As we say in my country.

When it says "Made in China" it usually means "Made in a hurry" :)

Worst part about Chinese tech like this, in my opinion is not that there are bugs and so on, but that they very rarely offer any form of software support, bug fix, firmware update and so on.

I bought a Chinese aftermarket android radio 6 years ago.

It has received exactly 0 updates, either to the android running on it, and not even the preinstalled apps which are used for stuff like FM radio.

There is a bug in the radio app, which is called version 1.0

I reached out to them and asked for an update, they said it was not possible, but they were aware of the bug, and had fixed it in version 1.1

To get version 1.1 was as simple as.....Buying the upgraded radio, they released 3 months after i bought.

So essentially, their offer for a bugfix for that app, was to buy another $400 radio and just throw the (3 months) "old" radio away.

What's funny is there are a bunch of vendors in the Tesla world that make it seem like they have a brand new solution with these headunits, when in reality it's the same garbage wrapped in a new box and with some US speaking reps showing it off on YouTube. It's all being pumped out from the same factory with minor customization to advertising.

Reactions: RocDeef
Just chipping in here that I've had great support from Hansshow, though it's fastest over Whatsapp instead of e-mail. Info and pictures back and forth, and they stood behind bad (or outdated) directions that shipped with my screen, which resulted in damage to one of the wires. Sent me new wires 2nd day FedEx from China and split the costs (~$30), so I could get it quickly. Found another connector issue with my car, with almost immediate response via Whatsapp with steps to take to adjust the harness to fit the different connector in my car. Working great now.

It's definitely not as polished as one would hope, but for the price, it's much better than using my phone on a holder like I used to do in my non-Tesla. In fact, this is drastically cheaper (less than 50% the cost) of comparable options for the 4Runner I had been driving previously to get CarPlay into the vehicle.

Overall, I'm pleased and feel that I got what I paid for, with better than average support from the Chinese seller. Obviously, YMMV...

• Informative
Reactions: LiamPope
Why. It would require a new top to the IP but the windshield is just where it hits. I’ve seen them on many car and it’s fantastic. My friend Camaro SS has it and it shows nav data as well. Very handy. Even adjust angle to accommodate different driver height.
I know what a hud is. I’ve owned 4-5 cars with them. A hud requires a windshield that has a polarized layer which costs more money.

I've had this newer model installed for more than a month and these are the issues i've run into so far and my general thoughts on the device:
  • Love the screen - when it works it is exactly what I was hoping it would be
  • Sadly, it doesn't always work...
  • The device will only connect to the car's bluetooth 1 out of 25 times and no amount of retry will fix it (sometimes restarting works...)
    • I've gone as far as to remove my phone from the car - but that doesn't seem to help either
  • The device doesn't always connect to Car Play when I get in the car, maybe 1 in 50 times it just won't have Car Play for the drive
  • The steering wheel control is inverse to what I would have expected in terms of mapping up/down to left/right (not a major complaint)
  • My phone is constantly connecting to the device via Car Play while I'm walking around the house - it has no concept of off
  • You can only have one theme on the device at a time and you have to connect to WiFi to download it and to it switch back
  • I was really happy that it displays an icon for AP/FSD - since it's not always easy to tell if the car is driving on the MY screen
    • That being said, it shows the same icon for ACC as well, so it can have false positives in terms of looking to see if the car is steering
  • You have to restart the device to switch between split screen and full screen Car Play (not a major complaint)
  • As the other review stated, the turn signal timing is just "off" - it works fine, but it's just dancing about like a drunk aunt at a wedding
With holiday discounts and codes I picked the device up for under $300, so I'm happy with it for what it is, but really hope they push some updates to fix the connection issues, which hinder and otherwise really good solution.
Update after some extended driving:

- Audio echo is present when making or accepting calls via CarPlay; I suspect this is due to the onboard mic in the unit which doesn't cancel incoming sound which lags behind by a few hundred ms. Also, the mic results in a low volume for the person on the other end of the call.
- Color temperature of the screen is not a great match to my particular Tesla screen. Very white (> 6500k) compared to the OEM display.
- Support is basically non-existent. I've reached out to Hansshow through WhatsApp and although they've read my messages I haven't received a single response.
- Capacitive touch response is very poor. The corners of the display require firm presses, and swiping from right edge to get menu for the Linux OS is laggy.
- Refresh rate is ~20-30Hz by my estimation. It makes for a laggy experience overall.
- Turn signal graphic is erratic. I think the lower refresh rate makes it jittery (sometimes only blinks for a single frame or two) and it is not in sync with the Tesla screen.

For the $400 I paid on Amazon, I gotta say I have mixed feelings. It's nice to have Waze projected right where a normal instrument cluster would be, but the experience is unrefined. This could be an incredible aftermarket addition to any Tesla, but Hansshow has some work to do. I'm debating whether I should uninstall and return it.
Most modern phones allow you to connect the phone to the car for phone calls and the hansshow screen for music, this will avoid the phone call issues you guys are having.

Most modern phones allow you to connect the phone to the car for phone calls and the hansshow screen for music, this will avoid the phone call issues you guys are having.
Couple of questions - for the 9” Linux unit does it disconnect from CarPlay when you exit (and/or lock) the car? And secondly does the “connect iPhone to car Bluetooth directly” route solve the call echo issues?

I just bought the 5.16" display from Hansshow and am now wondering if I made a mistake and should have gotten the new 9" display with Android Auto. Part of the reason I opted for the 5.16" display was the airflow block but then I see this new vent diffuser thing that comes in the package and was curious for those that have the new OTA version if the vent diffuser is a game changer.

I think I will use the 5.16" display for awhile and I feel like Hansshow will always come out with new products so maybe in 1-2 years, I may want to opt for the 9" display.

I just bought the 5.16" display from Hansshow and am now wondering if I made a mistake and should have gotten the new 9" display with Android Auto. Part of the reason I opted for the 5.16" display was the airflow block but then I see this new vent diffuser thing that comes in the package and was curious for those that have the new OTA version if the vent diffuser is a game changer.

I think I will use the 5.16" display for awhile and I feel like Hansshow will always come out with new products so maybe in 1-2 years, I may want to opt for the 9" display.
The Android Auto & Carplay screens are very buggy, but the youtube reviewers never seem to mention this, it’s as if they’re being paid to promote the devices! 🤔

Even oem CP/AA in cars can be very temperamental, so I really wouldn’t bother with cheap Chinese aftermarket ones.

The Android Auto & Carplay screens are very buggy, but the youtube reviewers never seem to mention this, it’s as if they’re being paid to promote the devices! 🤔

Even oem CP/AA in cars can be very temperamental, so I really wouldn’t bother with cheap Chinese aftermarket ones.
Ah ok... do you mind elaborating on what you mean by buggy? Are you saying the screens are laggy or the apps don't always open up properly? What in particular is it that makes you pause?

Certainly I am not going to dump my new 5.16" display for this at this point. I get the allure of having Android Auto since I do have an Android phone and wouldn't mind having Google Maps on the left side of the 9" display but my phone would work just fine as well.

Ah ok... do you mind elaborating on what you mean by buggy? Are you saying the screens are laggy or the apps don't always open up properly? What in particular is it that makes you pause?

Certainly I am not going to dump my new 5.16" display for this at this point. I get the allure of having Android Auto since I do have an Android phone and wouldn't mind having Google Maps on the left side of the 9" display but my phone would work just fine as well.
Mainly it just not connecting, lots of fiddling that isn’t great when starting a journey.

Mainly it just not connecting, lots of fiddling that isn’t great when starting a journey.
Uh ok....so you are saying there is an absurdly amount of pre setup that needs to happen each time you turn on the car before you can start driving it? I guess I was kinda looking for some direct examples of what you mean since I am still confused by your statement.