Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Power Frunk Trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent 4 months (!) with Hansshow support until I gave up. They did not honor their warranty or replace the parts I returned to them. Tesla charged me $675 to break into my frunk to uninstall Hansshow’s crap.

Like the Frugal Tesla guy, I replaced my Hansshow kit with Tesla Offer’s power frunk. I installed it yesterday and their support was excellent when I contacted them about a problem.

I just posted about this here: Don't buy Hansshow | Tesla Motors Club

I’m giving them until the end of next week before I charge back via my credit card company.

They asked me to change the speed of the frunk lifts. I did that troubleshooting and still had issues in 20° weather. As soon as I am back in my heated garage for 30 minutes, it works perfectly.

I am going to insulate the motor of the unit over the weekend to see if that helps. If this is a continuous problem, I will just uninstall.

Mine is having a problem with closing. The frunk goes all the way down and right before closing fully and latching it beeps and goes back up all the way. It happens once in a while and I have to keep pressing close until it finally closes.

I’m giving them until the end of next week before I charge back via my credit card company.

They asked me to change the speed of the frunk lifts. I did that troubleshooting and still had issues in 20° weather. As soon as I am back in my heated garage for 30 minutes, it works perfectly.

I am going to insulate the motor of the unit over the weekend to see if that helps. If this is a continuous problem, I will just uninstall.

If there's a speed that doesn't even work, then that speed shouldn't be an option at all. The unit should be considered defective if it doesn't work at each speed that is available. Either the motor is defective or the the lifts are defective or both. I'd be surprised if the insulation works but can't hurt to try. I assume that the cable to the latch is not kinked?

Reactions: Durzel
Mine is having a problem with closing. The frunk goes all the way down and right before closing fully and latching it beeps and goes back up all the way. It happens once in a while and I have to keep pressing close until it finally closes.
Maybe a latch alignment issue or latch motor cable needing adjustment? This may involve moving latch mechanism left/right or adjusting the cable in or out. Just my guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Maaz
I used to/still have the same issue. The frunk just would not open. It seemed to catch on something and the close back up. It got so frustrating. I was at least able to open it by folding a microfiber towel up so that when the frunk opened just enough, I would stick the towel in there to hold the frunk up. This would then allow me to manually lift up the frunk. I ended up replacing the latch spring (little accordian looking one) that came with the kit with the stiffer OEM spring and that seems to help it open better.

It still gets stuck every so often but more often than not, it'll take 2-3 tries of re-opening it to fully open properly. If it does get stuck, I have to use the mircofiber towel trick to jam it and this allows me to get my fingers in to lift up the hood.

I haven't tried increasing the open/close speed/strength though. This is V1 of the kit too.

I used to/still have the same issue. The frunk just would not open. It seemed to catch on something and the close back up. It got so frustrating. I was at least able to open it by folding a microfiber towel up so that when the frunk opened just enough, I would stick the towel in there to hold the frunk up. This would then allow me to manually lift up the frunk. I ended up replacing the latch spring (little accordian looking one) that came with the kit with the stiffer OEM spring and that seems to help it open better.

It still gets stuck every so often but more often than not, it'll take 2-3 tries of re-opening it to fully open properly. If it does get stuck, I have to use the mircofiber towel trick to jam it and this allows me to get my fingers in to lift up the hood.

I haven't tried increasing the open/close speed/strength though. This is V1 of the kit too.
Mine closed and locked in that position so there was no gap at all. I would be very wary about your current situation with a microfiber fix. You don’t want to go through what I went through.

Reactions: Durzel
Hello

I also only have problems with the Frunk Kit on my 2021 Model 3.

The installation works without any problems.
It worked too.

However, at some point it no longer opened.
He jumped up, but didn't start up again.
The support was terrible. Partly in Chinese, which I had to translate first.
You have not sent me a new wiring harness now, just a connector that I should cut off the wiring harness and replace with the new one.
They seem to assume that all customers are electricians.

But now comes the hardship.
The frunk now no longer opens at all.
I still hear 2 clicks, but nothing moves.

And what does the support say?
Nothing.

I have now booked an appointment with Tesla.
If there are any costs, I will forward them to Hansshow.
I will also expand the set again and would like to give it back.
But I don't know how they react to that.

I'm totally pissed off by the Hansshow.
I also thought about buying the Joke steering wheel, but not anymore.

Hello

It worked too.

You have not sent me a new wiring harness now, just a connector that I should cut off the wiring harness and replace with the new one.

Nothing.

Would never buy from this racket given the hundreds of negative posts about their after sales service (or lack of it). You get what you pay for.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Would never buy from this racket given the hundreds of negative posts about their after sales service (or lack of it). You get what you pay for.
I already had the Frunk & Trunk package on my 2019 Model 3 and have only had good experiences.
The support was also very good.
The installation of the 2021 Frunk Kit also worked great.
That it now causes problems is stupid.
That the frunk is no longer at all but a catastrophe.
Seems to be a Tesla problem and none of the kit.

I already had the Frunk & Trunk package on my 2019 Model 3 and have only had good experiences.
The support was also very good.
The installation of the 2021 Frunk Kit also worked great.
That it now causes problems is stupid.
That the frunk is no longer at all but a catastrophe.
Seems to be a Tesla problem and none of the kit.
Don't think you can blame Tesla for failing third party add-ons?

Hello

It worked too.

Nothing.

Good luck "forwarding costs to hansshow", as I dont think that will go anywhere, based on the various hansshow threads here on these boards. I have seen enough here to never (ever) consider anything from that particular company. Note that this has nothing to do with where they are located, as I dont care about that in the slightest.

It has to do with the large number of threads here where users are basically providing support to each other, because the manufacturer goes dark after a couple of questions.

Good luck with it.

Opening and releasing the frunk is Tesla's business.
That then bring up the matter of the kit.

So if the frunk doesn't work at all, who is "to blame"?
If the frunk isn't opening because you have installed 3rd party kit then its quite obvious who is to blame! If the frunk doesn't open on TESLA installed kit then Tesla will need to make it right.

I actually had okay support from Hansshow recently, but you have to use WhatsApp. That seems to be their preferred method.

I was having some issues (discussed in another thread) with v3 of the power lift gate interfering with the rear camera. They did some troubleshooting with me, but it was pretty clear recent Tesla firmware was causing the conflict. They offered me a really good price on v6, but I declined and just decided to go back to stock. However, I also forgot how difficult it is to close the trunk on the OEM struts. Hopefully, it gets a little easier over time. I have to admit, I do miss the power trunk.

They also helped me some with issues with my power frunk not pulling the frunk closed. With their help, I found some water had gotten into the latch suction motor and they're sending me a new motor, which they're saying is now waterproof, at no cost. Hopefully, that fixes it. If you apply 12V power directly to the latch motor you can test it. They sent me a video I could post if anyone is really interested in viewing it. It's not very exciting, but it shows how to test and what's supposed to happen.