Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Power Frunk Trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading this and other posts regarding this company and this product in particular. It's seems like a case of give us the cash then you are on your own. I mean, what kind of company is going to use WhatsApp for customer service? I read one article where a guy was told that seeing as he put on an aftermarket spoiler on his 3 that his trunk is now too heavy to lift...lol!

• Funny
Reactions: speedyranger74
I actually had okay support from Hansshow recently, but you have to use WhatsApp. That seems to be their preferred method.

I was having some issues (discussed in another thread) with v3 of the power lift gate interfering with the rear camera. They did some troubleshooting with me, but it was pretty clear recent Tesla firmware was causing the conflict. They offered me a really good price on v6, but I declined and just decided to go back to stock. However, I also forgot how difficult it is to close the trunk on the OEM struts. Hopefully, it gets a little easier over time. I have to admit, I do miss the power trunk.

They also helped me some with issues with my power frunk not pulling the frunk closed. With their help, I found some water had gotten into the latch suction motor and they're sending me a new motor, which they're saying is now waterproof, at no cost. Hopefully, that fixes it. If you apply 12V power directly to the latch motor you can test it. They sent me a video I could post if anyone is really interested in viewing it. It's not very exciting, but it shows how to test and what's supposed to happen.
@shrink,

I’m interested for future reference. Mine is currently working fine but at some point I’m sure I’ll need to diagnose. Feel free to DM me the vid if you’d like.

Regards,

Ski

I have had Hansshow kit installed for over a year now without issues. However about two months ago one of my parking sensors stopped working from time to time. Park assist unavailable message on screen, I created a ticket to Tesla service, the Tesla ranger came to my place tested the sensors and said that in front the drivers side middle sensor doesn't work. He couldn't fix it on the spot, but scheduled service center visit. Just came from there and they told me that they won't touch the car cause there is third party parts installed. Told me to remove the Hansshow kit and if the parking sensor doesn't work all the time after that I am welcome to come back to Tesla service and they will replace the parking sensor. Anyone else had issues with parking sensors when Hansshow kit is installed?

I learned to stay away from their products as they mostly failed, lots of youtube videos on this problem, I got stiffed on a set of side mirrors for my model Y, they sent the wrong ones for a model 3 and gave me the run around to get them changed out. I wont buy anything from them.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Hi,

Bit of a lengthy post but if anyone have any superior troubleshooting.....

Installed both power frunk and power trunk from Hansshow june 2020.
Frunk V3, Trunk V4. No kick sensors.

Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now frunk is giving me trouble.

Not permanently, but happens from time to time. So a little worrying.

The frunk unlatches fine, but motor doesnt engage.
When closing the frunk the latch opens but
motor does not engage. Have to push the frunk down manually.

When using the debugging cable the frunk closes fine with the frunk button, and opens fine by itself after the wait.

I’ve been troubleshotting with Hansshow for several sessions but nothing really solves the issue.

- Checked cable connections
- Checked 12V and ground connection
- Set higher open/close strength
- Reset control box
- Software update control box
- Shorting control box with screwdriver
- Calibrating struts

My suspicion is either motor / motor cable
or control box is giving me the error.

Anyone have any insight on this ?
I’ve got exactly the same issue. Mine was fitted yesterday. It unlatches when you press the app but doesn’t go up. You have to press again to make it go up. Waiting for a response from Hanshow.

Opening and releasing the frunk is Tesla's business.
That then bring up the matter of the kit.

So if the frunk doesn't work at all, who is "to blame"?
Whatever Tesla does to release the frunk is obviously good enough, because it works. If it didn't work, Tesla would cover it under warranty. They haven't designed the system to be assisted or for the signal to be intercepted in any way. I don't think you can blame Tesla one bit when the system they designed works in the way they designed it to be used, and was never sold as doing anything else.

As with most things you find out the measure of a company when you need to depend on them, post-sale. Reading @Petermcg 's story on here was enough for me to order from TeslaOffer instead, so he can take some comfort in knowing that he's deprived them of a $1000 sale after what he had to go through. I had some minor issues during the install of the TO kit, and Raymond and co were brilliant - often replying way outside of their usual working hours.

I'm sure Hansshow kit probably works, I've heard of enough people getting it installed. I care more about the aftersales and having peace of mind than the original cost (TeslaOffer is quite a bit more expensive). I would not want to go through what @Petermcg did. A kit is worthless to me if when it fails I'm going to get practically no support, and warranty declaimation, etc.

Reactions: KaJu74
As with most things you find out the measure of a company when you need to depend on them, post-sale.

A kit is worthless to me if when it fails I'm going to get practically no support, and warranty declaimation, etc.
I’ve actually had good experience with Hansshow support. They just sent me a new Model 3 frunk soft close latch motor on a V3 kit I bought 1-1/2 years ago for free (including shipping). I installed this past weekend and it works perfectly

Before this experience, I had an old Model S without a power trunk. I installed the Hansshow kit and they sent me a new control unit - again at no cost to me - after I had some issues after a year.

You do have to use WhatsApp for prompt replies, but they are very responsive. Sometimes you have to translate from Cantonese, but that’s easy enough to do with Google Translate. Some of the reps, though, can write in English.

With their support, they do ask you to troubleshoot some things and this requires being able to access the installed kit parts, which can be a mess of wires behind interior panels - and that’s not for everyone.

Maybe the need to use WhatsApp in combination with the time zone differences with them being in Hong Kong is causing some issues, but in my case anyway, they’ve been responsive and helpful.

Reactions: Durzel
I’ve actually had good experience with Hansshow support. They just sent me a new Model 3 frunk soft close latch motor on a V3 kit I bought 1-1/2 years ago for free (including shipping). I installed this past weekend and it works perfectly

Before this experience, I had an old Model S without a power trunk. I installed the Hansshow kit and they sent me a new control unit - again at no cost to me - after I had some issues after a year.

You do have to use WhatsApp for prompt replies, but they are very responsive. Sometimes you have to translate from Cantonese, but that’s easy enough to do with Google Translate. Some of the reps, though, can write in English.

With their support, they do ask you to troubleshoot some things and this requires being able to access the installed kit parts, which can be a mess of wires behind interior panels - and that’s not for everyone.

Maybe the need to use WhatsApp in combination with the time zone differences with them being in Hong Kong is causing some issues, but in my case anyway, they’ve been responsive and helpful.
That sounds like a good experience.

I must admit I haven't had my TO kits long enough to test the support a year, or a year and a half into ownership, to see what the warranty is like then. From my initial dealings with them though they have been very supportive, so I'm optimistic.

@Petermcg seems to have been told that because he'd got some benefit out of the kit that he should be happy for the time it did work for him, i.e. that basically the warranty was only good up to a point, which is worrying to me. I am not electrically minded so there is a limited amount of diagnostics I can do, and if components in the kits fail I need to know that they will be replaced without grief.

Glad to hear you've had a good experience though.

Reactions: Skione65
I've been reading this and other posts regarding this company and this product in particular. It's seems like a case of give us the cash then you are on your own. I mean, what kind of company is going to use WhatsApp for customer service? I read one article where a guy was told that seeing as he put on an aftermarket spoiler on his 3 that his trunk is now too heavy to lift...lol!
I think its about me .
The truth is the spoiler was installed after the trouble.
Now the situation is coming worst: the trunk is opening by pressing the button for 4 or 5 times. Each step is about 10 cm... still wait for a solution on WhatsApp.

Screenshot_20210817-153639_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20210817-153603_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20210817-153544_WhatsApp.jpg

And still waiting...

Hi, I have a problem with my Hansshow frunk opener, I think the suction soft close motor has failed, the frunk opens and lowers fine but doesn’t latch closed. I have to push it down manually.
I’ve been in contact with Hansshow on WhatsApp and they said as I have an older V2 version (bought in June 2020) I will have to buy a whole new kit… they did offer me a 20% discount though.
I’d rather just see if I can get a replacement motor first. Does anyone know where, other than Hansshow, I can get a replacement soft close motor or does someone have one for sale? Thanks!

Hi, I have a problem with my Hansshow frunk opener, I think the suction soft close motor has failed, the frunk opens and lowers fine but doesn’t latch closed. I have to push it down manually.
I’ve been in contact with Hansshow on WhatsApp and they said as I have an older V2 version (bought in June 2020) I will have to buy a whole new kit… they did offer me a 20% discount though.
I’d rather just see if I can get a replacement motor first. Does anyone know where, other than Hansshow, I can get a replacement soft close motor or does someone have one for sale? Thanks!
What's the warranty on the Hansshow power frunk kit? If 1 year, then I guess you just ran out of warranty. I looked on their site and seems difficult to find info on warranty but I did see the following:

Hansshow electric tailgate has the national mandatory 3C certification, CE certification and ACL certification. 4 years warranty time and 120,000 kilometers, longer than the original car warranty time. The quality of the products is guaranteed.

If in fact your frunk kit is still under warranty, they should have parts in stock as warranty items (ie, free) and if not it shouldn't cost you anything. The fact they don't stock warranty parts for their kits is not a good sign. Already a pain to re and re. To be honest, 20% is quite readily available from them so that's really not a favour they are doing you. If under warranty and no old parts available, they should give you a new kit altogether.

Reactions: RecognitionD
@RecognitionD, ask them about the link stating 4 year warranty and tell them that was part of your decision in buying this kit. Don't be surprised if you get ghosted though as from what I've seen the majority of their business decisions appear to be on a transactional basis. Honouring a warranty should be a given regardless of losing money on a single transaction. Seems @speedyranger74 lucked out in getting a free control unit 1.5 years later so in my opinion if they don't have the replacement part they should eat the cost of a new kit for good will purposes. In the long run, this would probably be good for business.

@RecognitionD, ask them about the link stating 4 year warranty and tell them that was part of your decision in buying this kit. Don't be surprised if you get ghosted though as from what I've seen the majority of their business decisions appear to be on a transactional basis. Honouring a warranty should be a given regardless of losing money on a single transaction. Seems @speedyranger74 lucked out in getting a free control unit 1.5 years later so in my opinion if they don't have the replacement part they should eat the cost of a new kit for good will purposes. In the long run, this would probably be good for business.
I don't get any response from
I wwill keep as it's. Sometimes is opening without problems but most the time I have to help by push up and after press the button to fully open.

After I reported problems and even mentioned Tesla costs, there was no more answer.

For me, the subject is over.
Kit is expanded and sold.

And the Hanshow topic has generally been dealt with for me.
The issue of support breaks their necks.