Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you checked that yourself with the V4 model and CAN connection?

Why bother with a CAN connection, that's the only thing it's used for, knowing when you're in drive or not.

Yes, I can personally confirm my friend's HS V4 and my Tesla Offer Mark 2.5 operate as the video indicates. Mine works, his doesn't. He updated to the new firmware which does a great job at the soft close but no CAN bus fix.

Yes, I can personally confirm my friend's HS V4 and my Tesla Offer Mark 2.5 operate as the video indicates. Mine works, his doesn't. He updated to the new firmware which does a great job at the soft close but no CAN bus fix.

I'm confused, yours work or doesn't?

I just ordered a V4, so your message was a bit concerning. Don't want to be stop at the light, someone walking behind and opening my boot that easily.

@Cultgti, the canbus function is to prevent accidental opening of the trunk when in Drive. but @08micev just reported his V4 Hannshow kit didn't have the canbus connection. Maybe hansshow removed it?

I totally misread and @08micev didn't even get a connection! Oh? My friend has a CAN connection and it is connected with no functionality. As I've been told, the kick sensor has been triggered in an automated car wash.

I have a M3 SR+ 2019 and I bought and installed the Hansshow automatic tailgate V4 (see my past posts with installation feedback and photos). My V4 kit came with the CANBUS harness which I installed.

The last few posts piqued my interest so I thought I'd do a test.
  • In "D" mode, the OPEN button disappears and you cannot open trunk via the screen.
  • In "D" mode, you can open the trunk by physically pressing the button on the lid. When trunk opened, there was a warning beep and a warning popped up at the tail of the car saying "CAUTION: trunk is opened" or words to that effect.
Personally we've never opened the trunk when not in Parked mode. The fact that you can with the Hansshow isn't a concern to me as a) we've never done it, and b) the car warns you if you do.

I can imagine a use case for this - if you're ready to drive off and someone needs to deposit something in the trunk. The audible and visual warning would be enough for you to take caution and not drive off until the lid is closed. Or to put it the car back in "P".

I have a M3 SR+ 2019 and I bought and installed the Hansshow automatic tailgate V4 (see my past posts with installation feedback and photos). My V4 kit came with the CANBUS harness which I installed.

• In "D" mode, the OPEN button disappears and you cannot open trunk via the screen.
  • In "D" mode, you can open the trunk by physically pressing the button on the lid. When trunk opened, there was a warning beep and a warning popped up at the tail of the car saying "CAUTION: trunk is opened" or words to that effect.
Personally we've never opened the trunk when not in Parked mode. The fact that you can with the Hansshow isn't a concern to me as a) we've never done it, and b) the car warns you if you do.

I can imagine a use case for this - if you're ready to drive off and someone needs to deposit something in the trunk. The audible and visual warning would be enough for you to take caution and not drive off until the lid is closed. Or to put it the car back in "P".

Unfortunately if you have the kick sensor and it triggers the kick sensor in an automated car wash, then no matter the warning, the water is coming in! So whether it affects you or not, the CAN bus connection is to prevent accidental tripping.

I totally misread and @08micev didn't even get a connection! Oh? My friend has a CAN connection and it is connected with no functionality. As I've been told, the kick sensor has been triggered in an automated car wash.

He would have been in Park mode.

So, for now there's no confirmation that with V4 properly connected to the CAN bus, then you can open the boot even while in drive.

A further update on this (yesterday I did NOT make a note if the car was locked or not).
  • When in "D" and the car is locked, I CANNOT open the trunk by physically pressing the button on the lid.
  • When in "D" and the car is unlocked, I can open the trunk by physically pressing the button, however, a warning pops up on the screen saying that the trunk is opened.
I did not install the foot sensor (for reasons I had previously posted). I would assume it would behave the same way as above when the car is locked/unlocked but don't quote me on that.

Personally I'm happy with how my HS V4 works. YMMV.

Reactions: JT_M3P and Maaz