Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completed the install last night, it took me 10hrs (though the printed instructions were only 25 steps) to install mainly because there weren't any good videos or install guides. Hansshows documentation is lacking BIGTIME. The main headache of the install was to remove the panels from the car, the manual tells you what to remove but doesn't mention how to remove them so you spend a bunch of time on YouTube to figure stuff out. The main part of the instruction manual on how/where to connect the power was this blurry little picture that is hard to understand, so Im here to tell you the power you're tapping off is in the front passenger footwell. You have to remove the panel on the right side of your right foot, BUT you also have to remove the panel below your glove compartment. Removing the side panel alone does not reveal the (red) power cable where you need to tap off. I know you're saying...hey were's the pics, but after 10hrs of frustration, on the coldest day in the north east, in your driveway in the middle of the night... taking photos was the last thing on my mind, just wanted to get it done. Overall I think I could have completed this in 3-4hrs if it was clear on how to remove/re-install all the panels, especially the bumper cover. The manual does not mention you have to remove the bumper (even though I didn't purchase the foot sensor), but in V3 unit you have to drop the bumper to route power strut cables correctly. It sux because Im pretty sure I didn't re-install the bumper correctly since now there is a noticeable gap that wasn't there before. I'll have to look at that this weekend.

Overall Im satisfied with the unit, but fix the f'ing manual.

How did you route the cables from each struts into the car? Some videos show the wire going through the tail lights, others just pass under the weather striping but I want to find a way that looks OEM before I install my own.

I watched every install video while I was waiting on the unit to arrive, they are all old and wrong...none of them showed you how to route the V3 wiring. I'll need to pull off the bumper again this weekend to adjust it so I'll take some videos. Basically the strut wire routes under the tail light down to the bumper. There are 2 rubber grommets on each side of the bumper...you basically drill hole in the rubber grommets and slip the cable trough them. The problem with the (old) videos where they go though the tail lights is that the hole for the light is sealed, so by you smushing a thick cable though the same hole you compromise the seal...if water was to drip down the strut cable and enter the car it would be dripping directly into your stereo amp or your charging port which is whats behind either sides of your taillights.

The look is OEM with v3, the only thing you really cut is those rubber grommets which are hidden deep in the rear bumper and the hole you have to cut for the button.

I watched every install video while I was waiting on the unit to arrive, they are all old and wrong...none of them showed you how to route the V3 wiring. I'll need to pull off the bumper again this weekend to adjust it so I'll take some videos. Basically the strut wire routes under the tail light down to the bumper. There are 2 rubber grommets on each side of the bumper...you basically drill hole in the rubber grommets and slip the cable trough them. The problem with the (old) videos where they go though the tail lights is that the hole for the light is sealed, so by you smushing a thick cable though the same hole you compromise the seal...if water was to drip down the strut cable and enter the car it would be dripping directly into your stereo amp or your charging port which is whats behind either sides of your taillights.

The look is OEM with v3, the only thing you really cut is those rubber grommets which are hidden deep in the rear bumper and the hole you have to cut for the button.
Awesome. I was hoping there would be some kind of OEM grommet I could use, I knew that taking the bumper off was going to happen since I went with the foot sensor and am installing LED lights where the rear reflectors are.

• Informative
Reactions: RandomSample
what's different between v3 and previous ones? feature/wiring etc..

i've watched several youtube videos on this and i felt 3 items that are not so clear or could be better..
- power tap from front.. some video's suggested drilling on firewall and tap on battery and some suggested tap on driver side somewhere
- running strut wire either through tail light hole or bumper
- how to remove/install bumper properly

what's different between v3 and previous ones? feature/wiring etc..

i've watched several youtube videos on this and i felt 3 items that are not so clear or could be better..

- power tap from front.. some video's suggested drilling on firewall and tap on battery and some suggested tap on driver side somewhere
----in v3 you do not get the power from the battery terminal under the hood, you get it from a screw post behind the carpet next to the passenger feet. No drilling anything for this.

- running strut wire either through tail light hole or bumper
--- the v3 instructions on running the strut wire though the bumper wasn't clear but it made sense how to do it after you took off the bumper and found the grommets. But since the instructions didn't mention that you had to drop the bumper it took me an hour to figure out where to find these grommets.

- how to remove/install bumper properly
---let me know if you find a good video about this, cause I still have a gap. I saw a video this morning that says there are some snap hooks under the car has to be removed as well so maybe for me those tabs arent lined up which is why I have a gap....gotta figure that out this weekend.

Any luck in fixing your bumper dendenyc?

Looking at maybe getting this but the lack of decent instructions and dropping the bumper sounds like a PIA.

Anyone have any links to GOOD v3 videos or instructions??

tia bondo

Not to hijack the thread, but had nothing but great experience w Teslaoffer.com trunk auto lift. I looked at other vendors. They all looked similar. The Teslaoffer.com version appeared most complete. Instructions were ok, but lots of YouTube videos to help. Works as advertised; as good as OEM, IMO. I had a part that I messed up. Easy to get hold of the tech dept (who is prolly the designer and shipping guy too) via chat. He mailed me replacement part within 24 hrs. If I had install question he replied very promptly.

added lots of aftermarket cars over the years. This one is about as close to OEM as I’ve seen.

Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
Is it worth ordering the newest version (version 3) of this and try a DIY or should I be looking for another trunk/frunk automatic opener? What is the consensus from those who bought and installed themselves. The install seems complicated. Thanks!

Has anyone else done the trunk install recently? I did the Hansshow "frunk" the other night and that was super easy until actually getting it to close. Haha. It took about 30 to 40 minutes to finally get it just right, but it's done, and it's awesome! As for the trunk, I'm sitting on it, ready to start the install. I've seen a bunch of different install videos on YouTube but I just wanted to ask anyone else if they've done the install recently, how it went, and what tips/tricks they can offer. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone else done the trunk install recently? I did the Hansshow "frunk" the other night and that was super easy until actually getting it to close. Haha. It took about 30 to 40 minutes to finally get it just right, but it's done, and it's awesome! As for the trunk, I'm sitting on it, ready to start the install. I've seen a bunch of different install videos on YouTube but I just wanted to ask anyone else if they've done the install recently, how it went, and what tips/tricks they can offer. Thanks in advance!

Do you think the power frunkt/trunk is worth the money?

I've been debating getting this, but since there's no group buy discount anymore, I'd be shelling out $1k, and since I like in San Diego, there's no installer in this area.

The DIY videos I've seen is daunting and looks like a lot of parts are taken out. Also, there's the drilling into the frunk/trunk panel, which kinda scares me.

I was able to get the frunk/trunk for $848 with a 15% discount. I opted to pass on the foot sensor (didn’t want to mess with the bumper, and just didn’t feel it was a necessity, for me personally). There is a good amount of trim to remove for the trunk install but it doesn’t look too bad really. I just wanted to see from others who did a DIY what they had to say. Honestly, the frunk was easy, and required no drilling, it was just the adjustments needed at the end that were a bit taxing. The trunk will be a longer install but I know it will be worth it when it’s done. If you ask me, it’s worth the money, especially since I plan on having this car for another 6 to 8 years! Also, I like doing DIY projects and couldn’t see myself paying an installer $500 to do the frunk/trunk install. I have a bit of time on my hands now. I say pull the trigger if you can afford it.

I was able to get the frunk/trunk for $848 with a 15% discount. I opted to pass on the foot sensor (didn’t want to mess with the bumper, and just didn’t feel it was a necessity, for me personally). There is a good amount of trim to remove for the trunk install but it doesn’t look too bad really. I just wanted to see from others who did a DIY what they had to say. Honestly, the frunk was easy, and required no drilling, it was just the adjustments needed at the end that were a bit taxing. The trunk will be a longer install but I know it will be worth it when it’s done. If you ask me, it’s worth the money, especially since I plan on having this car for another 6 to 8 years! Also, I like doing DIY projects and couldn’t see myself paying an installer $500 to do the frunk/trunk install. I have a bit of time on my hands now. I say pull the trigger if you can afford it.
You plan to run trunk strut wires through taillight?

anyone have a coupon code they wanna share?

Speaking to William with their customer service now through WhatsApp and he's been VERY helpful and gets right back to me.He says not through the taillights anymore. You still have to take the taillights off but run it down into the car through existing gromit.

Where do you live in CA?....maybe we can team up to do a trunk install once you've done yours, and if I plan to get mine of course

Speaking to William with their customer service now through WhatsApp and he's been VERY helpful and gets right back to me.He says not through the taillights anymore. You still have to take the taillights off but run it down into the car through existing gromit.

Installed the Trunk kit last night...I ended up routing through the lights, couldn't figure out how to fish the wires through without removing the bumper cover. I'll prb add a dab of sealant around the wire. Worst part was removing the rear seat trim and back cover, especially with a white interior. I understand why the new kit was designed this way, but it was daunting starting out.