Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Trunk still work with the center console OBD/CanBus unplugged? I’m assuming it’s just for the “safety/false open prevention”
And hopefully works with it unplugged if needed? Can you test this for us?

Ski
Yes, it works either way. I tested the existing trunk button (external), the new trunk button (internal), kick sensor, Tesla App, and Touchscreen with and without the OBD/CAN passthrough harness plugged in. Functionally, I couldn't tell any difference.

On the touchscreen, when the Trunk is open, the "Open" & "Opened" animation still "plays". When the button says "Open" (on the touchscreen) you can press it to close the trunk. That stayed the same with and without the OBD/CAN passthrough harness plugged in. This is the "feature" that Raymond/Tesla Offer picks on in his comparison video of the Tesla Offer V2 compared to the Hansshow V3/V4. It's valid, but likely only if you are super impatient and can't wait a second for the virtual button to go back to "Open".

I never had an issue closing the trunk on the first press of the new inside the trunk button, which I'd guess is the most common method of closing the trunk. The variety of choices is good for opening, but (to me at least) I almost always close with the trunk button in my other vehicles, and expect I'll do the same with the Model 3.

Anyway, I'll let you know if Hansshow replies with anything new/exciting to the What's App question I send about the OBD/CAN passthrough harness.

I'd run the cabling, and leave it tucked away for a later firmware update, or whatever, if you're worried about it. It's much easier not to use it, that have to pull out all the trunk lining and trim to run it later.

j

Yes, it works either way. I tested the existing trunk button (external), the new trunk button (internal), kick sensor, Tesla App, and Touchscreen with and without the OBD/CAN passthrough harness plugged in. Functionally, I couldn't tell any difference.

On the touchscreen, when the Trunk is open, the "Open" & "Opened" animation still "plays". When the button says "Open" (on the touchscreen) you can press it to close the trunk. That stayed the same with and without the OBD/CAN passthrough harness plugged in. This is the "feature" that Raymond/Tesla Offer picks on in his comparison video of the Tesla Offer V2 compared to the Hansshow V3/V4. It's valid, but likely only if you are super impatient and can't wait a second for the virtual button to go back to "Open".

I never had an issue closing the trunk on the first press of the new inside the trunk button, which I'd guess is the most common method of closing the trunk. The variety of choices is good for opening, but (to me at least) I almost always close with the trunk button in my other vehicles, and expect I'll do the same with the Model 3.

Anyway, I'll let you know if Hansshow replies with anything new/exciting to the What's App question I send about the OBD/CAN passthrough harness.

I'd run the cabling, and leave it tucked away for a later firmware update, or whatever, if you're worried about it. It's much easier not to use it, that have to pull out all the trunk lining and trim to run it later.

j

J,

Thank You! Really appreciate the follow up and everything you checked out. That helps. You answered my questions and then some! Yes, let me know what William says if he follows up.

Regards,

Ski

Reactions: JohnNick72

j

when i asked them in an email, they mentioned that V4 now properly displays open and close, is this not true?

when i asked them in an email, they mentioned that V4 now properly displays open and close, is this not true?
Maybe it requires firmware flash? If it still has that animation going back and forth that would be annoying. As mentioned above, it may be not a big deal to wait a second to be on the right status for some people but given the choice of another product where you don't have this annoyance, albeit minor, just get the product that is better sorted out.

So is this a universal canbus adapter? Teslaoffer asks for model year because i believe the canbus for 2018-older and 2019-newer are different? Shot them a note, so we'll see.
You are exactly correct about the TO brand - they have different connectors depending on model year. Don't know if Hansshow offers the different connectors at this point but pretty sure there isn't a universal adapter for all years.

“Properly displayed” may be subjective. The reply I got overnight on the benefit of the OBD/CAN (aka CANBUS) plug was:

from Hansshow support, via What’sApp:

2. The Trunk Upgrade Kit is for V1, V2, V3 power trunk upgrade to the latest V4.
– Update the software and electric suction lock, achieve an extreme soft closing effect.
– CANBUS plug, even safer system.
– Car key & kick sensor control more sensitive, prevent false triggering.
– Prompt function for tailgate not closed.

I’m reading the improvement as mostly imperceptible if V4 is your starting point and/or you have V1,2,3 but haven’t had any safety issues. Although they didn’t specifically say (& I started with V4), I think the ‘prompt function for tailgate not closed’ is just a warning that’s triggered if you start to drive off with an open trunk, not a change to the open/opened “animation.”

Anyway, hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have a question installing. I took a time at the start to remove a lot more of the trunk carpet paneling, which I think made it easier and tidier in the end.

Cheers,

John

“Properly displayed” may be subjective. The reply I got overnight on the benefit of the OBD/CAN (aka CANBUS) plug was:
Funny that I got the exact same reply last night through WhatsAPP....which is a direct copy and paste from their V4 upgrade kit webpage. I have also asked whether I can still fish the wires through the rubber tube and connect in the trunk lid on my V3 kit. The response was that they can send me the "fishing wires" along with the purchase of V4 trunk kit for free...Does that mean my V3 can only be installed through the backseats?..Now I am confused...

from Hansshow support, via What’sApp:

2. The Trunk Upgrade Kit is for V1, V2, V3 power trunk upgrade to the latest V4.
– Update the software and electric suction lock, achieve an extreme soft closing effect.
– CANBUS plug, even safer system.
– Car key & kick sensor control more sensitive, prevent false triggering.
– Prompt function for tailgate not closed.

I’m reading the improvement as mostly imperceptible if V4 is your starting point and/or you have V1,2,3 but haven’t had any safety issues. Although they didn’t specifically say (& I started with V4), I think the ‘prompt function for tailgate not closed’ is just a warning that’s triggered if you start to drive off with an open trunk, not a change to the open/opened “animation.”

Anyway, hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have a question installing. I took a time at the start to remove a lot more of the trunk carpet paneling, which I think made it easier and tidier in the end.

Cheers,

John

so if that is the case, isnt the teslaoffer 2.5 kit superior?

Sure seems that way. No animation issues, CANBUS adapter for all model years, soft covered struts to prevent window seal damage, and upgraded latch mechanism. Only downside is the Tesla Offer kit costs slightly more but I think it's worth the bit extra.

I think buyers should reach their own conclusion on “better.” After watching too many install videos, I picked the Hansshow Trunk & Tesla Offer Frunk.

The items that Tesla Offer notes as advantages of their kit are subjective.

On the extremes of build tolerances, the soft covered struts will have rubber rubbing rubber vs. smooth painted aluminum (maybe) rubbing rubber. Mine don’t actually touch. So, it just a different solution, neither is necessarily better. If you see rubbing, I’d clean & lubricate both types.

On the “animation,” Hansshow calls it a feature b/c it allows you to close the Trunk on the touchscreen without doing anime thing else. Tesla Offer demonstrates it in a way that it’d drive you nuts. I haven’t seen any annoyance or issue in practice.

On the V2 install Tesla Offer has you putting a PosiTap into a wire on the CAN connection of the drivers footwell, I didn’t want to do that. I don’t have any taps, nor wiring for the Frunk kit going past the backside of the center console.

With multiple sources for 15% Discount Codes on YouTube, the Tesla Offer kit is 30% more expensive. I paid, $493.20 shipped for the Hansshow Trunk kit - V4 with Kick sensor. Not a huge amount of money (~$150), but I didn’t see any real/practical disadvantage in the way I’d use the Hansshow, so might as well save a few bucks.

I selected the Tesla Offer Frunk Kit, and paid more, because I wanted the Homelink close feature. Hansshow didn’t have this (at the time I ordered...)

Anyway, pick the one you like better. They are more similar than different & both seem like something that should be standard in the car.

Cheers!

J

I think buyers should reach their own conclusion on “better.” After watching too many install videos, I picked the Hansshow Trunk & Tesla Offer Frunk.

The items that Tesla Offer notes as advantages of their kit are subjective.

On the extremes of build tolerances, the soft covered struts will have rubber rubbing rubber vs. smooth painted aluminum (maybe) rubbing rubber. Mine don’t actually touch. So, it just a different solution, neither is necessarily better. If you see rubbing, I’d clean & lubricate both types.

On the “animation,” Hansshow calls it a feature b/c it allows you to close the Trunk on the touchscreen without doing anime thing else. Tesla Offer demonstrates it in a way that it’d drive you nuts. I haven’t seen any annoyance or issue in practice.

On the V2 install Tesla Offer has you putting a PosiTap into a wire on the CAN connection of the drivers footwell, I didn’t want to do that. I don’t have any taps, nor wiring for the Frunk kit going past the backside of the center console.

With multiple sources for 15% Discount Codes on YouTube, the Tesla Offer kit is 30% more expensive. I paid, $493.20 shipped for the Hansshow Trunk kit - V4 with Kick sensor. Not a huge amount of money (~$150), but I didn’t see any real/practical disadvantage in the way I’d use the Hansshow, so might as well save a few bucks.

I selected the Tesla Offer Frunk Kit, and paid more, because I wanted the Homelink close feature. Hansshow didn’t have this (at the time I ordered...)

Anyway, pick the one you like better. They are more similar than different & both seem like something that should be standard in the car.

Cheers!

J

Absolutely agree every buyer will have to determine what's "better" for themself. It's good that your struts don't touch the weather seal but seems that's hit and miss likely due to the inconsistent Tesla build quality.

The 'animation' issue is unclear to me. I thought on the Hansshow when your trunk is open, the screen flashes between 'open' and 'opened' alternately and you can only close it when it flashes to 'open' status. Whereas my understanding of the Tesla Offer kit is that if the trunk is open, the screen will remain constant and not flash back and forth so whenever you hit the button it closes without the need for it to be on the right status. At least that's what I thought. I feel it's "better" if it doesn't flash but if some enjoy that "animation" flashing feature, then the Hansshow is "better". I can't see why this would be a marketed as a 'feature' though.

I also agree the CANBUS positap wasn't ideal but that's no longer an issue since both companies have plug and play connectors. Only difference I can see there is that Tesla Offer has connectors for all years whereas it's not clear that Hansshow has that - maybe they do.

As for price, Hansshow is clearly lower but there are also Tesla Offer coupon codes I found for 10% bringing the difference to a lesser spread.

Absolutely each person should pick what's best for them but just seems to me Hansshow is following the footsteps of Tesla Offer which is not a negative thing. Seems Hansshow feels some of Tesla Offer's features are "better" or they wouldn't copy them - case in point connection to CANBUS.

What I would really like to see is two side by side comparisons by a third party of each company's latest version to compare smoothness, operating convenience, quietness, etc.

Reactions: univ0298
So it sounds like I can install the trunk without plugging in the Canbus and it will still work? I never got a response from them and was planning on installing this weekend. I suppose I should wait for their video anyway.
Makes no sense that there's no functional difference with or without plugging in the CANBUS otherwise Hansshow wouldn't have even made the plug connector. If anyone is experiencing no difference and installation is correct, it must be firmware needing update. Good idea to wait for the video or for them to get back to you.

I’m reading the improvement as mostly imperceptible if V4 is your starting point and/or you have V1,2,3 but haven’t had any safety issues. Although they didn’t specifically say (& I started with V4), I think the ‘prompt function for tailgate not closed’ is just a warning that’s triggered if you start to drive off with an open trunk, not a change to the open/opened “animation.

Thanks for the information. I guess the soft closing is the main feature but to me I have my closing force set to the lowest level and never had a latching problem.

Still would be good if we could get down to the details of the safety features. I guess you could drive off during the time when the car thinks the trunk is closed. May be as indicated in a prior post, this canbus reads the current speed performs some action? May be keeps the status of the trunk as opened until its in Parker again?

I'm interested about he safety feature of the kick sensor and how easily the older versions are falsely triggerred

Still would be good if we could get down to the details of the safety features. I guess you could drive off during the time when the car thinks the trunk is closed. May be as indicated in a prior post, this canbus reads the current speed performs some action? May be keeps the status of the trunk as opened until its in Parker again?

I'm interested about he safety feature of the kick sensor and how easily the older versions are falsely triggerred

That was discussed a page or so back in this forum:
HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

The competitive video I posted does discuss those concerns (which should all be gone now if you get Hansshow V4 and use CANBUS plug and play install, as I understand it)

Hansshow still didn't post any new video to their channel. But they did WhatsApp message a new install video to me which is pretty good, but it's specifically only about how to fish the power strut cables from the strut to the 'blue grommet' place behind the bumper, which is good for showing what I believe is the best way to run those cables. Hopefully they publish it to YouTube eventually.

I still wish someone had a V4 installed with the CANBUS and could confirm the behavior change to the open/close experience on the screen and in the app. Hopefully it's gone away from the cycling/animating and works more cleanly like the Tesla Offer one.