Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Trunk V4 Reviews/Opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@speedyranger74 it seems like a consistent issue that you will get support if the only cost to them is time (such as whatsapp diagnostic instructions) but if it comes to hardware replacement it just won't happen. The videos you posted show the trunk opening on the rare occasion so I would suspect it's not the weight of the rear spoiler otherwise one would think it would never open. Also seems sometimes when you are trying to activate, it does absolutely nothing and not even a click or anything as if there was no power going to it. That makes me think it might be the control box rather than a bit of extra weight on the trunk lid.

If at all possible and you can find a local Tesla owner with the same kit, see if they would be willing to lend you their control box to narrow down the issue of a control box defect. I'd also try disconnecting the foot sensor to test using trunk button alone and check all the cables to ensure none of them were rubbing and ruptured over time. Basically, check everything.

If you talk to them again, ask them if the weight of the stock spoiler makes a difference (of course they will say no since performance models have this). Then ask them why yours makes a difference (of course they will say it's heavier). Final question is what is the weight capacity your engineers designed the kit to handle and why isn't that information posted on the instructions? Assuming the weight of your spoiler is the issue then one would assume it damaged the power struts. If the power struts were damaged, the latch motor should still click when you activate an opening sequence.
For sure isn't the spoiler because the issue come before and if the weight is a problem have to don't open.
The issue is sometimes don't open at first try.
To try another control box is a good idea 💡.
I try to find someone.
Thanks

Looking at the videos it doesn’t seem to have a problem when it actually does open, it isn’t struggling or anything. There is a series of open and closes in the videos that are “normal”.

I would echo what @tlr1000 has said. All you can really do is try and find someone with the same kit who would be willing to swap bits over to help you diagnose. I don’t think you’re going to get much further with Hansshow support until you narrow it down yourself.

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that with these kits generally it needs both struts to be working properly, because they are not hydraulic in the sense that they “want” to be extended, if that makes sense. So, it could be a strut problem or a control box problem, as mentioned above.

Reactions: speedyranger74
Luckily my Hannshow trunk is absolutely fine.

However my Tesla offer frunk kit failed due to water ingress into the control unit. Excellent customer service and they have shipped me a brand new one with better waterproofing via DHL. Everywhere I’ve seen it seems Tesla offer have better after sales service.
Hi. Seems to be near to me.
Any chance to let me try your box control?
Thanks

For anyone looking to automate their trunk on their model 3, please stay away from Hansshow products. I bought the version 4 kit in January 2021 when it was on sale for about $400. The kit arrived and I got it installed. During the initial 3 weeks the product worked as it should. Then I started noticing the issues. The trunk would take a few presses to open sometimes. So I decided to reset the control box. It fixed the issue for a moment. Then the trunk would open and close right back. Sometimes it would open and wouldn’t close. Sometimes it would start closing and get stuck in the middle. Then to top it off, the control box kept beeping while I was driving for 30 minutes, and then 30 minutes after I would leave the car. After trying some at home fixes I contacted Hansshow. At first they seemed helpful, they started sending over software updates that they told me to perform on the control box. I would do those and sure enough the problem would not go away. After about 4 attempts with the updates I asked for a different solution. Then they sent me new struts and a new control box, I got those installed but the problem was still there. They kept asking for more and more videos of the same problem. This went on for months

After some time I simply got so frustrated of having a dysfunctional trunk that I asked them for my money back. I was ready to go back to stock. Well guess what, they just wanted me to try more parts and updates. After months of trouble shooting I didn’t want to deal with anymore failed attempts and politely asked for my money back. Of course they would not budge. Eventually they agreed to give me 80% of my money back. After a lengthy back and forth I was happy to even get that. Then….. they just ghosted me.

And that’s not all, they started contacting me from different numbers trying to restart the entire conversation over again, to buy more time I guess. They even had a Indian guy contact me speaking in Hindi, as if that would change my mind. Isn’t that some type of racial profiling??

Basically they will exhaust you so you’re just happy to be left alone and forget about your refund.

I party blame myself because I should have listened to FrugalTeslaGuy's review and shouldn’t have bought it in the get-go. Look up his video on youtube before you buy. He points out other issues buy recommends not buying

If you have questions or need proof of the pointless conversations I had with them, DM me.

Having fitted over 80 of these kits i'd say your problems may have been due to poor installation, Yes there is the odd problem but i've found Hansshow to be reasonably helpful. I had a customer with a failed suction motor after 12 months so the warranty had clearly expired, they sent him a new motor free of charge.

They can be quite difficult to get hold of due to the time difference but will always resolve matters.

I watched the installation of 'Frugal Tesla Guy' and after i saw the installer shove a power strut cable through the charge port drain hole (which not only blocks the drain but also pushes the strut cable against a sharp edge), i knew that he would have problems down the line. If you want to see a proper installation then look for 'electrified garage' as they are fitting hansshow products and their recent Model Y frunk kit shows they are still doing so. I'd rather trust a bona fide business than a 'youtuber'.

I fitted both their kits on my previous model 3 which were flawless after 18 months when i sold it.

I can echo Mr H's confirmation of a good product - still working fine after almost 12 months fitment (by Mr H). :)
I can also confirm that "talking" to Hansshow tech can be problematic - time difference does not help any.
My car was "the awkward one" with system alarms on initial fitment but we think my car was feeling flaky anyway and/or a subsequent knowledge of fault resets may have helped with the subsequent refit. After a refit (in terrible weather) Mr H got it working perfectly.
I was going to get the Frunk done at some point but round tuits are in very short supply ;)

Overall the 'electrified garage' install is quite good but I don't like that they drill a new hole through the body of the car to run the left side strut cable when there are existing places to run the cable. In particular, the factory hole behind the rear bumper support that has a blue grommet. For a person who's installed a few of these kits, this cable routing does take an extra 10 minutes or so but better an extra few minutes than a new hole in the metal.

Reactions: MrT3
The blue 'grommet' is not a grommet it's a bung and the hole is too small to route the cable with a view towards longevity, the hole is also not round, it's oval. I drill the hole which is a mirror image of the hole from Tesla covered with another bung on the other side, there is even an outline in the panel showing you where to drill. I also paint the exposed metal and continue with the wiring whilst the paint dries. Over 80 kits in i've had no failures.

Reactions: bhanorthy
@Mr H , not sure about other countries but in North America the two holes are in mirror image locations (as you mentioned) but they are not identical - one is oval (right side) and the other is round (left side). Both holes are plugged by a blue pliable cover (perhaps I mistakenly called this a grommet) which has ample room for the passing through the plastic connector. I hole-punched a hole slightly smaller than the cable itself and dead centre of the blue cover and there is no chance of the cable rubbing and no longevity issues I can see. Furthermore even though probablyu not necessary as it all fits snugly, I add a bit of silicone around the cable where it passes through this blue cover. I've done mine this way, a few friend's I've helped with installs and all have been problem free. I guess it's personal preference but I don't like drilling holes in metal where there's an alternative way but if one was to drill a hole, painting the exposed metal like you do is a smart thing (which was not shown to be done in the electrified garage video). I know I'm being a bit picky here but personally don't like the metal shavings that end up falling inside the body cavity due to drilling.

I guess we can agree to disagree, i use micro fibre towels to catch 90% of the filings and a step drill to ensure the hole is the correct size every time. The supplied grommets in the kits are sized for this way. I can fit a trunk kit in around 2.5 hrs having done that many.