Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow V5 Frunk issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed the Hansshow V5 power frunk to my 2021 model Y, but am having a problem. The fronk opens perfectly, but I think the struts are too long and the fronk doesn’t lower far enough to catch the latch and close. Anyone else have that problem?

Reactions: RRichie
I also had an issue recently with a new install and used their WhatsApp and got support

I did have to ask and follow up several times to get a response so keep asking them nicely if anyone can help. I feel like there is multiple folks that monitor the WhatsApp and then they add to to specific people to help out

I have a OCT 2021 Build MYLR5. Purchased the Hansshow V5 Frunk opener and noticed during install that I had to really push up on the hood to get the struts to fit. Went for it anyway and in the end had the same problem you have described. If I manually shut the frunk, the rear hinges bowed out and distorted the fenders. Doubled checked my install against several youtube how to's and I had it all in right. At the end of the day, the struts are about 1/4" longer thant the OEM. Took it all out and luckily the frunk closed and now permeant damage! I have tried every means possible to get ahold of the company to see if there is a fix, or if may be my build version of the car was different and even trying to return the unit and total crickets!! At this point looks liek I am screwed out of $500. Let me know if you figure this out, would love to have the power frunk working!

After 100’s of attempt of adjusting the latch,i was able to get it to close but there are random times when it doesn’t latch again. They sent me a file to copy on a sd card and upload it to the control box. I see no improvement.I told them to send me a different kit or get a refund. Still waiting on WhatsApp for their response.

According to last response in WharsApp:

“We will certainly deal with your problem, please rest assured, but since we will have the Spring Festival holiday in China, we will come back to work on February 10th and deal with the messages one by one. Thank you for your support”

I was going to install my frunk kit today but I have the new 15v battery and need to know if their module can handle the increased voltage .

Reactions: RRichie
Few tricks I learned when I installed a version 5 on a 2021 model Y:

The struts go upside down from previous versions (cord on top).

I had to file the hole that the lower actuator mount bracket forward tab goes into to get it to lay flat.

The “extra” two counter-sunk screws are used to replace the bolt on each side that the actuator may contact.

Be patient with the latch adjustment. Took me over 1.5 to get it perfect. Started off with the trunk not pulling down to the latched position. Got it to work 100% of the time with a lot of adjusting.

Few tricks I learned when I installed a version 5 on a 2021 model Y:

The struts go upside down from previous versions (cord on top).

I had to file the hole that the lower actuator mount bracket forward tab goes into to get it to lay flat.

The “extra” two counter-sunk screws are used to replace the bolt on each side that the actuator may contact.

Be patient with the latch adjustment. Took me over 1.5 to get it perfect. Started off with the trunk not pulling down to the latched position. Got it to work 100% of the time with a lot of adjusting.
I meant frunk not trunk. Can’t edit for some reason.

According to last response in WharsApp:

“We will certainly deal with your problem, please rest assured, but since we will have the Spring Festival holiday in China, we will come back to work on February 10th and deal with the messages one by one. Thank you for your support”

I was going to install my frunk kit today but I have the new 15v battery and need to know if their module can handle the increased voltage .

I heard back from HansShow just now. No issues with the higher voltage.

122747FF-B0BF-488C-973E-C16737BE2700.jpeg

I just installed the Hansshow V5 power frunk to my 2021 model Y, but am having a problem. The fronk opens perfectly, but I think the struts are too long and the fronk doesn’t lower far enough to catch the latch and close. Anyone else have that problem?
Same issue. Sent Hanshow videos and they have no solution... we also updated the software.. still wont latch. The Older version I guess works. Adjusted everything.. Have you had any luck?

Mine is fine. You have to make sure that
  1. Hansshow flag on their bracket is engaged by frunk latch
  2. Bring combined latch mechanism higher and keep adjusting lower until frunk is flush with bumpers.
  3. Make sure that Hansshow bracket rides as high as it can with OEM bracket at height in 2.
Hope this helps. I’m doing another install for a fellow Tesla owner I met at the Camarillo center. Will update if I learn anything new that is relevant.

Good luck.

Same issue. Sent Hanshow videos and they have no solution... we also updated the software.. still wont latch. The Older version I guess works. Adjusted everything.. Have you had any luck?
Sorry to hear you’re having the same issue!
I’ve been given the advice (not by Hansshow) to adjust the latch or even reverse the struts so the end with the wire is reversed from what the instructions say to do. But I haven’t taken any actions yet.
By gently pushing down on the hood as it closes, it latches so I’m stuck with this until I find time to try any of these potential fixes.

Make sure brackets are properly seated. I had to redo mine once I figured out they were sitting wrong. Both ‘wings’ need to be touching the frame. In the incorrect placement, only one is.

I'm pretty sure that the brackets at the base of the new struts are reversed. Sorry, but this is a pain to uninstall, but I found this to be the problem with a customer who installed his kit wrong and brought it to me. You need to make sure the brackets are on the correct side and that they are seated correctly.

Yes just installedV10 version. I had the same problem. I got to looking at the mounts on the frunk lid and noticed the ball joint is offset . So seeing that the ball joint needed to be farther up the lid I reversed them. Put the right side mount on the left with the arrow pointing up and the left side mount on the right with the arrow pointing up and dang the the fricken frunk will close all the way. But then I had the problem of the frunk closing and just touching the latch and it clos would go back up by itself. So I ma ually pulled the frunk lid down about a inch , held the button in on the controler to reset the open position. But then when I went to try closing it wouldnt go down at all. So I pulled it down slowley all the way down until it touched the latch. Then push open on the Tesla phone app and it opened right up. Then to my Amazment when I pushed open again on the Tesla app it closed all the way and even latched. So now it works perfect, Thank you Hansshow for such a nice product. Just need to reverse the markings on the upper mounts. Or change directions to say left mount with the arrow pointing up, goes on your left side when your facing the car and the right side mount with the arrow pointing up goes the right side when your facing the front of the car. I have a 2022 Model 3 that was built in June.