Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow vs Tesla Offer Power Frunk/Trunk - which one to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
The first video I saw for a power trunk, I thought that is super convenient and wish it was installed as a factory option. But my initial view was that these kits were just too expensive so I ended up with the stronger struts that force the trunk/frunk lids to raise up on greater pressure. I did recognize this was for up only. The stronger struts were nice but very first thing I noticed was the additional effort needed now to close the frunk/trunk and whether this would cause any long-term issues. I decided I would just live with that and then seasons/temperatures change and then these struts became less effective in popping the frunk/trunk open to the point they didn't open automatically anymore. Also, if I didn't open the frunk/trunk for a while, it also affected the effectiveness. With all these issues, it was time to rethink the power frunk/trunk mod.

First and foremost, the kits are expensive so you have to be prepared for that. For many, it's not good value but at the same time there are also many that like the convenience. In my research, I did not come across anyone who installed one of these kits feel regret for their decision.

My next decision was to decide between these 2 major sellers. I also noted that there are some available on AliExpress but those did not seem any more affordable so thought the best choice was either of these 2 sellers who both seem to have a strong online presence and provide good customer support.

Here are the differences I found between the two:

Cost: If you get the full set up from both companies, seems Hansshow is about 10% less money - win Hansshow.

Flexibility: both appear to open and close through the Tesla app, Tesla fob, optional foot sensor, and buttons located at frunk/trunk but Tesla Offer can close the frunk on the onboard screen. Tesla Offer appears to do this through built-in Homelink or recently just by touching the hood icon on the onboard screen. I really appreciate this functionality in this pandemic situation where I can pull up an online order for curbside pick up and I have the option of having someone load it into the frunk where I can open/close remotely. I guess you can do this through the phone app for the Hansshow but I like the additional convenience of using the onboard screen. - win Tesla Offer.

Quality: from what I've seen, the component quality is very similar in appearance but Tesla Offer chose to encase the rear strut in a soft material (silicone or rubber) cover. As the rear struts are mounted near the weather strip in the back, the contact of the hard strut on the Hansshow kit may cause more wear and tear to the weather stripping - win Tesla Offer.

Usability: Both units do what they are supposed to do which is open and close your frunk/trunk. From what I've seen, the Hansshow implementation of the trunk has this toggling of status between open and opened which means 1/2 the time (if in the wrong status) you cannot close the trunk so you would have to make additional attempts. Again, seems not to be an issue for many but I like it to be able to close by making a single attempt whether by foot-switch,app, or fob. Personally I would find it really annoying that I'd have to either wait for the right status or make more than 1 attempt to close my trunk but that's just me being picky and liking things to work as close to OEM as possible. - win Tesla Offer

Install: both appear to be similar for the install process which appear to be doable but I wouldn't describe as simple. The v3 Hansshow is reportedly more difficult to install than their previous versions due to wiring under the rear parcel shelf. The Tesla Offer system, being able to read status of the trunk, involves tapping into the canbus. Although this serves a purpose, doing so may make some nervous but at least this is an optional step. Doing the extra tap gives you the correct trunk status and eliminates that toggling issue previously mentioned. I know many either find it difficult or just uncomfortable to tap the canbus. What I did find out from contacting Tesla Offer is that on newer cars (2019 and 2020) there is a way to do a plug and play canbus tap at the very back/bottom of the console. There's a panel there that's easy to access and newer cars have a 26 pin molex whereas older cars (like mine) have a 20 pin. You can tap the canbus with the 26 pin connector. This is really a matter of preference. V3 Hansshow is now harder to install compared to before and professional installers are actually charging more to install the v3 Hansshow than their previous versions. Tesla Offer requires tapping canbus but at least some cars will be easier. Winner - tie.

Overall, at least for me, the positives of the Tesla Offer system providing smoother operation by being able to read via canbus, more protective rear strut assemblies, screen option to close the frunk, etc, outweighs the negatives of slightly extra cost and complexity of tapping the canbus. The better protection of the weather-seal could mean the price difference for the two systems if it gets damaged.

Full Tesla Offer kit ordered! My advice is don't look at price alone. Compare all the differences and figure out what's important to you before choosing. Also, look at lots of reviews but keep in mind some are from people that have been given free product and even when they provide full disclosure, there is still a bias.

The first video I saw for a power trunk, I thought that is super convenient and wish it was installed as a factory option. But my initial view was that these kits were just too expensive so I ended up with the stronger struts that force the trunk/frunk lids to raise up on greater pressure. I did recognize this was for up only. The stronger struts were nice but very first thing I noticed was the additional effort needed now to close the frunk/trunk and whether this would cause any long-term issues. I decided I would just live with that and then seasons/temperatures change and then these struts became less effective in popping the frunk/trunk open to the point they didn't open automatically anymore. Also, if I didn't open the frunk/trunk for a while, it also affected the effectiveness. With all these issues, it was time to rethink the power frunk/trunk mod.

First and foremost, the kits are expensive so you have to be prepared for that. For many, it's not good value but at the same time there are also many that like the convenience. In my research, I did not come across anyone who installed one of these kits feel regret for their decision.

My next decision was to decide between these 2 major sellers. I also noted that there are some available on AliExpress but those did not seem any more affordable so thought the best choice was either of these 2 sellers who both seem to have a strong online presence and provide good customer support.

Here are the differences I found between the two:

Cost: If you get the full set up from both companies, seems Hansshow is about 10% less money - win Hansshow.

Flexibility: both appear to open and close through the Tesla app, Tesla fob, optional foot sensor, and buttons located at frunk/trunk but Tesla Offer can close the frunk on the onboard screen. Tesla Offer appears to do this through built-in Homelink or recently just by touching the hood icon on the onboard screen. I really appreciate this functionality in this pandemic situation where I can pull up an online order for curbside pick up and I have the option of having someone load it into the frunk where I can open/close remotely. I guess you can do this through the phone app for the Hansshow but I like the additional convenience of using the onboard screen. - win Tesla Offer.

Quality: from what I've seen, the component quality is very similar in appearance but Tesla Offer chose to encase the rear strut in a soft material (silicone or rubber) cover. As the rear struts are mounted near the weather strip in the back, the contact of the hard strut on the Hansshow kit may cause more wear and tear to the weather stripping - win Tesla Offer.

Usability: Both units do what they are supposed to do which is open and close your frunk/trunk. From what I've seen, the Hansshow implementation of the trunk has this toggling of status between open and opened which means 1/2 the time (if in the wrong status) you cannot close the trunk so you would have to make additional attempts. Again, seems not to be an issue for many but I like it to be able to close by making a single attempt whether by foot-switch,app, or fob. Personally I would find it really annoying that I'd have to either wait for the right status or make more than 1 attempt to close my trunk but that's just me being picky and liking things to work as close to OEM as possible. - win Tesla Offer

Install: both appear to be similar for the install process which appear to be doable but I wouldn't describe as simple. The v3 Hansshow is reportedly more difficult to install than their previous versions due to wiring under the rear parcel shelf. The Tesla Offer system, being able to read status of the trunk, involves tapping into the canbus. Although this serves a purpose, doing so may make some nervous but at least this is an optional step. Doing the extra tap gives you the correct trunk status and eliminates that toggling issue previously mentioned. I know many either find it difficult or just uncomfortable to tap the canbus. What I did find out from contacting Tesla Offer is that on newer cars (2019 and 2020) there is a way to do a plug and play canbus tap at the very back/bottom of the console. There's a panel there that's easy to access and newer cars have a 26 pin molex whereas older cars (like mine) have a 20 pin. You can tap the canbus with the 26 pin connector. This is really a matter of preference. V3 Hansshow is now harder to install compared to before and professional installers are actually charging more to install the v3 Hansshow than their previous versions. Tesla Offer requires tapping canbus but at least some cars will be easier. Winner - tie.

Overall, at least for me, the positives of the Tesla Offer system providing smoother operation by being able to read via canbus, more protective rear strut assemblies, screen option to close the frunk, etc, outweighs the negatives of slightly extra cost and complexity of tapping the canbus. The better protection of the weather-seal could mean the price difference for the two systems if it gets damaged.

Full Tesla Offer kit ordered! My advice is don't look at price alone. Compare all the differences and figure out what's important to you before choosing. Also, look at lots of reviews but keep in mind some are from people that have been given free product and even when they provide full disclosure, there is still a bias.

Couple things from my install of the Hannshow V3 Frunk

1. Frunk can be closed via the screen

2. I followed a video of the original Frunk install with my V3 and it was no more difficult than that. So I'm not sure if your comment about V3 being more difficult is only referring to the trunk or not.

Couple things from my install of the Hannshow V3 Frunk

1. Frunk can be closed via the screen

2. I followed a video of the original Frunk install with my V3 and it was no more difficult than that. So I'm not sure if your comment about V3 being more difficult is only referring to the trunk or not.

1. Good to know. I guess both these companies keep updating to make their product better. I believe it was then previously the case where the Hansshow could not close the frunk on the car's screen - at least that's what I saw on some YouTube reviews.

2. Yes, I was referring only to the trunk. From what I've seen, install for the frunk on both are about equal.

1. Good to know. I guess both these companies keep updating to make their product better. I believe it was then previously the case where the Hansshow could not close the frunk on the car's screen - at least that's what I saw on some YouTube reviews.

2. Yes, I was referring only to the trunk. From what I've seen, install for the frunk on both are about equal.
I believe you are correct on the first part. But that's what V3 added I believe

This YouTube video was posted about 5 weeks ago:

At the 7:10 mark it shows the person opening the frunk from the car's screen and he is then unable to close it. I do not know if he has the v3. Does your v3 have the same issue or can it close?

As stated V3 can close from the screen.

I can open and close from :
Screen
App
Keyfob
Button in Frunk

Thanks! guess that video I linked is for an older version. Glad that v3 Hansshow is updated.

So perhaps the only differences between the two is correct screen status for the trunk for the Tesla Offer and the soft protective trunk strut boots.

This is a good example that competition is good forcing companies to continually improve their product.

I am strongly considering buying the hansshow - how the heck do I know if I receive a V3 or older unit if I buy off ebay or the like? I do want to have the touchscreen work.
I'm not for sure if there is an easy way as i think it's a software thing. Before you buy off eBay, might be worth checking out the group buys or coupon codes to see if you can get it as cheap for brand new from them.

Power Frunk with Foot Sensor version 3 Hansshow - Group Buy

Reactions: BoringMod
definitely Tesla Offer, I met the owners and they are very helpful.

I like they have the factory to back them up with the latest features, such as frunk open and close with the screen...and notification when the trunk is not closed.

I didn't order and installed with Tesla Offer, which I regretted afterward.

What I realized is when the truck is open, it is hardly to see from the driver seat. Sometimes the trunk is not closed properly and I couldn't tell unless I get down and take a look. Not really bothering, but it is something good to have their kit in the beginning.

My order has not been sent yet but Tesla Offer contacted me for the year of my car to see if it can benefit from their new plug and play CANBUS tap. This should make it much easier to get the proper screen status and would be easily reversable.

Unfortunately for me as an early adopter, my 2018 doesn't work with this :(. At least they took the extra step in customer service and contacted me to check.

Good news for those Model 3 owners with the "old" cars like me. Tesla Offer just contacted me that they now have a plug and play CANBUS connector for the 2018 cars as well. Previously to tap the CANBUS you had to get to a wiring bundle near the front left of the car and use posi-tap connectors. Now it will be done by removing the panel at back bottom of the center console, unplugging connector, adding adapter in between. This is going to make it easier and not require poking through any wiring. It could be disconnected and removed in 2 minutes if you have a warranty issue with your car and don't want the SC to see.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I recently ordered/installed the Tesla Offer V2 Frunk unit with the (add on) Homelink unit for my ‘20 SR+.

Shipping was relatively quick and traceable from China (Ordered from Tesla Offer Website). The install was pretty easy after I figured out a few gaps between the kit and the install video. Took a little over an hour, but would be less if the instructions/video were better, plus I took extra time to test along the way and tidy up everything nicely before I put the Frunk back together.

End result, the kit works great and I’m very happy with the decision. No idea if this one is better or worse than Hannshow’s, but I like that I can open and close with the touchscreen, phone app, and (close) with the Frunk button.

Tesla Offer support is great. Raymond (owner?) uses What’sApp chat for this.

Not having an auto closing Frunk is unacceptable to me. The hood is super flimsy feeling and putting handprints on it every time you want to close it a nonstarter. This should be factory!

With the confidence from this install, I ordered the Hannshow V3 Trunk unit. It’s still enroute, but expect I’ll like it too. I picked it b/c I’m not fiddling with the canbus, and I got it for 10% off with “teslajoy” offer code (watched her install on YouTube).

Has anyone done the self-presenting handle and soft-close kits? The install looks like a PITA, but maybe not as bad once you get into it.

Cheers,

j

I recently ordered/installed the Tesla Offer V2 Frunk unit with the (add on) Homelink unit for my ‘20 SR+.

Shipping was relatively quick and traceable from China (Ordered from Tesla Offer Website). The install was pretty easy after I figured out a few gaps between the kit and the install video. Took a little over an hour, but would be less if the instructions/video were better, plus I took extra time to test along the way and tidy up everything nicely before I put the Frunk back together.

End result, the kit works great and I’m very happy with the decision. No idea if this one is better or worse than Hannshow’s, but I like that I can open and close with the touchscreen, phone app, and (close) with the Frunk button.

Not having an auto closing Frunk is unacceptable to me. The hood is super flimsy feeling and putting handprints on it every time you want to close it a nonstarter. This should be factory!

With the confidence from this install, I ordered the Hannshow V3 Trunk unit. It’s still enroute, but expect I’ll like it too. I picked it b/c I’m not fiddling with the canbus, and I got it for 10% off with “teslajoy” offer code (watched her install on YouTube).

Has anyone done the self-presenting handle and soft-close kits? The install looks like a PITA, but maybe not as bad once you get into it.

Cheers,

j
The CANBUS is now completely plug and play on the Tesla Offer power trunk. It's exactly like connecting an aftermarket OBD2 unit at bottom back of console. There are some distinct advantages and those concerned with warranty shouldn't be to worried as it's no different than connecting the OBD2 or one of those new HUD units.

Cheers,

j

• Funny
Reactions: univ0298
Now hansshow has a v4 trunk and it uses the canbus plug and play connector below the air conditioning in the back of the car. Looks like this makes it essentially identical to the Tesla offer one since they both use canbus plug and play now