Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow vs Tesla Offer Power Frunk/Trunk - which one to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow really, I should contact them to confirm since I order the trunk and frunk of 2018 model 3.

What did you order?
I ordered the power trunk lift w/o foot sensor for my 2020 LR model 3. Go for it and contact them it wouldn't hurt to ask to see the status. I was surprised to receive it so quick because they did include a notice that it might not ship until mid december.

Why is that?

I would have thought that that by now the market for aftermarket powered trunk kits would be saturated seeing as OEM powered trunks have been here for a while. There are a finite number of Model 3's without powered trunks, an even more limited number of people aware of aftermarket options, and and even more limited number of people willing to act on that awareness.

I guess my thinking is flawed on this.

Not only do they still sell the trunk kits for the cars that didn't come with the factory power trunk, but as recent as 2 months ago they released a firmware update to improve functionality for Tesla's introduction of carwash mode.

Yes, I'm aware of this as I have the kit myself and keep it updated. My point is more about demand rather than support though.

Does anyone have aftermarket interior LED lights (ex abstract ocean)? I was successful in installing my trunk and I wanted to do some additional upgrades to the trunk lighting. I'm wondering if switching the OEM lights will cause the TO trunk system any issues?

Not only do they still sell the trunk kits for the cars that didn't come with the factory power trunk, but as recent as 2 months ago they released a firmware update to improve functionality for Tesla's introduction of carwash mode.
Any ideas what the update does in regards to car wash mode?

On a related note has anyone here had the OEM trunk wiring harness recall issue fixed with their Hannshow/ EV Offer auto trunk?

Any ideas what the update does in regards to car wash mode?

On a related note has anyone here had the OEM trunk wiring harness recall issue fixed with their Hannshow/ EV Offer auto trunk?
Exactly what @Durzel said. The problem with the foot sensor is that it could be triggered by things like moving streams of water which would not be great in a carwash. Prior to Tesla's implementation of carwash mode EV Offer managed this issue by releasing a firmware update for their trunk kit to deactivate the foot sensor by turning on the hazard lights. This worked quite well for when I washed the car. After Tesla implemented the 'carwash mode' EV Offer probably could have left their firmware as is with foot sensor deactivation using hazard lights. Instead they updated their firmware to deactivate the foot sensor whenever the car was put into carwash mode. Much more elegant solution and it's great to see a company consistently improving their product this way.

As for the harness recall, EV Offer posted some information on their site: Tesla Model 3 Trunk Harness Recall (21V-00D) - EVOffer (Tesla Offer)

They have a suggestion of what to do if you get the recall done. Again, these guys are on top of it.

Given I don’t drive my car much I’m pondering rewiring the power on my EVOffer frunk kit and trunk kit to the switched power supply underneath the centre console. Tesla actually provide instructions for doing this.

The logic for this is basically that my car spends most of its life not moving, and asleep. It makes no sense for it to be constantly primed to open the frunk or trunk, when I would need to use the key fob or app (which itself wakes the car up when opening it) to interact with it anyway.

The only uncertainty with this is that it looks like - in some scenarios at least - either or both of the frunk and trunk kits activate when they receive power, and if the frunk kit is expecting to always have power (as a result of being connected to the 12v battery directly) then this might mean my frunk opens every time the car is woken up, and a key is in range. Same with the trunk - which does happen at the moment with it connected to the penthouse 12v (I think this is a pseudo live/switched 12v).

Wiring the frunk kit to the centre console would involve extending the power wire and punching through the rubber grommet in the firewall, into the cabin. Wiring the trunk kit to switched power would also mean my foot sensor wouldn’t work outside my house (the car has Sentry on everywhere else, so is essentially awake), but I don’t think that’s the end of the world.

Thoughts?