Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow vs Tesla Offer Power Frunk/Trunk - which one to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hansshow's information is inconsistent. They used to say that the CANBUS connection for the trunk kit voided Tesla's warranty and then they decided to copy their competitor. Their claim scared a lot of people away from buying the competitor's trunk kit. Even when they introduced the CANBUS connector they didn't make an adapter for the older Model 3s and worse, their CANBUS connection did nothing. Hopefully their version 6 has functional CANBUS functionality.

Agreed. I don’t use automated washes period with my car, but was just curious as to whether these two kits would allow the frunk/trunk to open whilst in neutral etc.

I've installed both brands of power trunks. When I installed the Hansshow CANBUS did nothing. It allows trunk to be opened in Drive. The TeslaOffer did not allow the trunk to be opened in Drive even if car was at a full stop - tested phone app, keyfob, and kick sensor. At the time I did not test Neutral but tested my TeslaOffer trunk today and can confirm it does not open in Neutral. So for those who use automatic car washes that require you to be in Neutral the trunk will not inadvertently open on the TeslaOffer unit.

• Informative
Reactions: Suspect and Durzel
How similar is it fitting the Tesla Offer trunk kit vs Hansshow?

There's a guy in the UK who is proficient at fitting the Hansshow one (which ought to be a testament to its quality, I guess, otherwise he'd be getting complaints) but I'm more keen on the Tesla Offer version. It just seems more considered, and I read a story (may have even been in this thread) about a guy on here who had trouble with his Hansshow kit inside the warranty period and was asked to contribute to replacement parts, etc, and eventually got radio silence.

I've read enough concering stories about Hansshow customer support to put me off - whereas I haven't really found anyone having glaring issues with TO. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Anyway, this guy has checked out the install instructions for the TO frunk kit and is happy to fit it, and I'm keen to get both done by him.

I don't care about the price differential (great customer service is priceless), I just care about the quality of the product and that it won't affect my warranty.

Thanks in advance for all help :)

There's a guy in the UK who is proficient at fitting the Hansshow one (which ought to be a testament to its quality, I guess, otherwise he'd be getting complaints) but I'm more keen on the Tesla Offer version. It just seems more considered, and I read a story (may have even been in this thread) about a guy on here who had trouble with his Hansshow kit inside the warranty period and was asked to contribute to replacement parts, etc, and eventually got radio silence.

I've read enough concering stories about Hansshow customer support to put me off - whereas I haven't really found anyone having glaring issues with TO. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Anyway, this guy has checked out the install instructions for the TO frunk kit and is happy to fit it, and I'm keen to get both done by him.

I don't care about the price differential (great customer service is priceless), I just care about the quality of the product and that it won't affect my warranty.

I think most complaints about Hansshow are their customer service, so if there is something wrong or missing, you're at their mercy. However, if you are getting someone that knows what they are doing, they will be doing all the troubleshooting and service. I had my Hansshow frunk+trunk installed by RPM Tesla, and haven't had any issues (since last Sept). One benefit of the TO one is the thinner struts so it doesn't rub against the rubber lining, which *could* cause it to tear.

Reactions: Maaz and Durzel
I think most complaints about Hansshow are their customer service, so if there is something wrong or missing, you're at their mercy. However, if you are getting someone that knows what they are doing, they will be doing all the troubleshooting and service. I had my Hansshow frunk+trunk installed by RPM Tesla, and haven't had any issues (since last Sept). One benefit of the TO one is the thinner struts so it doesn't rub against the rubber lining, which *could* cause it to tear.
I had mine installed by RPM Tesla as well, and love mine. 0 issues.

I had mine installed by RPM Tesla as well, and love mine. 0 issues.

RPM Tesla was great, very nice, fast, and highly recommended. I get they might not be the fastest or best online retailer (I had issues with them in the past with slow shipping) but their local shop was nothing but professional. They say Hannshow frunk+trunk has a 2 year warranty, so hopefully, if I have any issues, I can talk to RPM first.

To answer your question, fitting the two trunk kits is very similar. There are absolutely more similarities than differences when putting in these kits and I've installed both. The TO kit is better thought out and in particular easier to run the wiring up to the trunk lid as it doesn't require disconnecting wires from a molex connector and reconnecting after. Also the strut design with the silicone boots is the same design Tesla adopted in its 2021 cars whereas HS is all metal and there are some reports these all-metal struts damage weather seals.

As far as hiring an installer, ask where they plan to route the strut cables. If they do it through the taillight holes or drill new holes in the metal, that'd be a concern. The best way to run these cables is through factory holes under the bumper covered by blue rubber grommets. Also, if you are really picky, ask them to hole punch the grommets rather than cut an X pattern for the cable and add silicone to ensure a perfect seal.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Just progressing this - slowly.. installer mentioned that the Hansshow kits have inline fuses on the connections to the 12v battery. As far as I can tell from watching installation videos for the TeslaOffer kit, they don't have this. Is this something I ought to be concerned about? Surely the inline fuse has a purpose?

Just progressing this - slowly.. installer mentioned that the Hansshow kits have inline fuses on the connections to the 12v battery. As far as I can tell from watching installation videos for the TeslaOffer kit, they don't have this. Is this something I ought to be concerned about? Surely the inline fuse has a purpose?
My TO trunk kit had an inline fuse.

You can just about spot the fuse holder as he attaches it to the 12v here:

Look at the comparison pic in post#23. The 12v connector for both brands have an inline blade fuse. In the picture, the harness is near the buzzer.

My friend's Hansshow trunk kit just died and his was installed after mine. He contacted Hansshow via Whatsapp and no help. My TeslaOffer kit has been solid but I did have one minor issue. After the last firmware update with the anti-pinch feature (ie., if something is in the way of the trunk lid closing, trunk pauses and raises back up) I had issues where my trunk didn't close properly - it would occasionally stop about 4-6" before the lid was closed. I contacted TeslaOffer and within minutes they simply told me to do a reset by power-cycling the unit (disconnect power momentarily and reconnect). Right after, it started working perfectly again. If anything, the whole kit runs smoother and quieter than when I first installed it due to the few firmware updates with incremental improvements.

• Informative
I pulled the trigger on a TeslaOffer frunk and trunk set yesterday, cost me $998 with a $100 discount that they're doing currently. This is quite a bit more than the Hansshow kit, I think, which can be had for the same sort of price pre-discount (and I know you can get ~15-20% discounts pretty easily)

Peace of mind is worth its weight in gold though, and I've heard nothing but praise for TO, and more than one story of poor customer service when things go wrong with Hansshow. TO have been very responsive to me on WhatsApp at various times in the day with my mundane questions.

I don't doubt their kit works very well, and there will be a lot of people who have fitted it and never had problems, and that's great, but good customer service is like insurance - you only find out how valuable it is when you need it.

@Durzel, congrats on your kit. In my opinion one of the most important and varied installation/fitting considerations is where to run the strut power cables. This is true regardless of the kit you buy. My recommendation is to NOT run them through the taillight or worse drill new holes like some YouTube videos show. Run them though the factory holes behind the rear bumper support which are covered by blue rubber grommets. If you are picky like me, hole-punch the rubber grommets slightly smaller (like 1mm) to get a precise weather-tight fit - most people cut an X in the blue rubber grommet.

@Durzel, congrats on your kit. In my opinion one of the most important and varied installation/fitting considerations is where to run the strut power cables. This is true regardless of the kit you buy. My recommendation is to NOT run them through the taillight or worse drill new holes like some YouTube videos show. Run them though the factory holes behind the rear bumper support which are covered by blue rubber grommets. If you are picky like me, hole-punch the rubber grommets slightly smaller (like 1mm) to get a precise weather-tight fit - most people cut an X in the blue rubber grommet.
That is exactly what I am planning to do, but thanks for confirming it.

I am going to be looking to get an excellent installer who tours the UK fitting the Hansshow kits to do my trunk kit, and will be looking to do it the way you describe. I have a 2020 car so should have the access panel underneath (I'm getting the kick sensor fitted too) so make it easier to fish the wires.

As you say - keen to make the job as weather tight as possible too.

How easy is it to get the cable down behind the bumper cover into the area where the blue grommets are? I saw someone say (might have even been you!) that they installed it this way without even loosening the bumper. I would like to avoid removing the bumper if I can.

Also - when hole punching, do you have to remove the connector on the end of the strut to make it so the hole is only big enough for the wire? or is the connector on the end not much bigger than the wire anyway?

The other variable I've seen is where people tap in for power for the trunk kit. Some people run the power all the way to the front and then tap in to something there (per the TO install video), I think they call that VCLeft or VCRight or something? Others attach to the power connections underneath the rear seats? (I think they call this the "penthouse supply"?). I have no idea which is best practices here either.

Just do it yourself, there's nothing to it. De mark 2.5 is plug and play. Just follow the instrunction video's.
In the instruction video you still have to tap the wires, but with the mark 2.5 that is no longer necessary. You can now install the can as in the second video.