Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow vs Tesla Offer Power Frunk/Trunk - which one to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Epic thread.

I had never heard of "cable pulling lubricant", but had also never thought to lubricate cables for a tight pull! Awesome.

I had never heard of "gummi phlege conditioner", either! Another awesome thing to learn about.

@tlr1000, between Raymond's videos, Frugal Tesla Guy's switch, and your posts here, I am planning to get the Tesla/EV Offer frunk kit for my 2021 M3. A couple questions, if you don't mind.

• I see the non-Homelink option to close the frunk from inside the car described as "signal injection". Not sure what this means. It doesn't change the Tesla console software/firmware, does it? Or require any kind of wire splicing? Is this the way the frunk closing on the Hansshow works as well?
  • Opening and closing from the Tesla phone apps work seamlessly, without "signal injection"?

Thanks!

Epic thread.

I had never heard of "cable pulling lubricant", but had also never thought to lubricate cables for a tight pull! Awesome.

I had never heard of "gummi phlege conditioner", either! Another awesome thing to learn about.

@tlr1000, between Raymond's videos, Frugal Tesla Guy's switch, and your posts here, I am planning to get the Tesla/EV Offer frunk kit for my 2021 M3. A couple questions, if you don't mind.

• I see the non-Homelink option to close the frunk from inside the car described as "signal injection". Not sure what this means. It doesn't change the Tesla console software/firmware, does it? Or require any kind of wire splicing? Is this the way the frunk closing on the Hansshow works as well?
  • Opening and closing from the Tesla phone apps work seamlessly, without "signal injection"?

Thanks!
I use the non-homelink option and have never had an issue. The frunk opens and closes from the screen when you touch 'open'. If you go with the homelink option its a bit more cumbersome for closing as you have to use your homelink activation and program a new 'door' being the frunk. So no change to the Tesla console software/firmware and no requirement for any kind of wire splicing. The Hansshow frunk appears to work the same way.

I've never used the homelink version but with the regular version everything is seamless to open and close from the screen, Tesla app, as well as the key fob. I really like the frunk kit - it's smooth and reliable plus I actually use the frunk now since I don't worry about physically pushing it down to close.

If you get stuck along the way, lots of people to help you here. Good luck.

Reactions: Zinzan
I use the non-homelink option and have never had an issue. The frunk opens and closes from the screen when you touch 'open'. If you go with the homelink option its a bit more cumbersome for closing as you have to use your homelink activation and program a new 'door' being the frunk. So no change to the Tesla console software/firmware and no requirement for any kind of wire splicing. The Hansshow frunk appears to work the same way.

I've never used the homelink version but with the regular version everything is seamless to open and close from the screen, Tesla app, as well as the key fob. I really like the frunk kit - it's smooth and reliable plus I actually use the frunk now since I don't worry about physically pushing it down to close.

If you get stuck along the way, lots of people to help you here. Good luck.

Thanks! Really grateful for your helpful posts on here.

And I have ordered it (the Tesla Offer one). I do not have Homelink—I just use a Siri shortcut from my iphone to open my garage. Free, and it works.

I took the free shipping option, so it will be a while (up to 3 weeks, it seems).

Reactions: tlr1000
I bought the Hannshow kits for my 2018 Model 3 Black Thursday 2020, but didn't get round to having them installed by Electrified Garage in Ocala, FL. until April, 2021. Chris and the crew did a marvelous job on the install, kept me abreast of progress multiple times per day; I am a very happy customer. Highly recommend their shop!

Chris discovered that Hautopart sent me the wrong frunk kit (Model Y), but he had the correct part in stock, so he informed me and installed that one. Dealing with Hautopart was a bit of a drag, trying to get my refund. Took about 4 months of back and forth via WhatsApp before they accepted the evidence and sent the refund. I had all my ducks in a row, so if they had refused, I wouldn't be writing a positive review here.

In the end, the kits work almost flawlessly. "Almost". Twice I have discovered the trunk and/or frunk open, both times I'm pretty sure I caused it unwittingly (remotely via apps), so I'll take the heat for that. However the damn foot sensor for the trunk is wildly inaccurate and otherwise seems to be dead at the times when I need it the most. If I walk past the driver's side rear corner (where the kick sensor was placed and where you stand to plug in), too often the trunk opens. I haven't got it to respond correctly except for a few times; I think I'll just disable it, but I must admit I have not yet done any research on that issue.

Epic thread.

1C9CDEBD-4A5D-4FF6-BC33-8D3B33F95D72.jpeg
B888518F-52A2-46D7-8CA3-FC8974905D9F.jpeg

Reactions: Zinzan
I ordered the EVOffer (Tesla Offer) Frunk and Tailgate kits. The order arrived crazy-fast. Ordered on a Friday before lunch, the tracking said it left Hong Kong that night, and arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio on Saturday around Midnight. It arrived at my house on Tuesday afternoon.

I was able to install the Frunk kit in about 2.5 hours. I could have done it in 90 minutes, but spent 30 minutes when I couldn't figure out how to install the manual trunk release loop. On my Model 3, the "tow hole" has no wires, and there is foam between the bumper plastic and the metal bumper frame. I gave up trying to find a way to thread the loop through. I also spent another 30 minutes going back and forth to review the install videos. And after "cleaning up" the wiring, decided I didn't like the job I did, so I cut all the ties and re-did it.

Another shout-out to @tlr1000 and others for answering questions!

Reactions: Durzel
On the EVOffer frunk kit, I love how it works and the installation wasn't really that bad. However, that little buzzer/speaker bothers me, as it beeps when the car wakes up from sleep. I used a BUNCH of tape and mounting tape to muzzle it to relatively quiet volume.

My question to you guys is, will the system work correctly if I just disconnect the buzzer?

On the EVOffer frunk kit, I love how it works and the installation wasn't really that bad. However, that little buzzer/speaker bothers me, as it beeps when the car wakes up from sleep. I used a BUNCH of tape and mounting tape to muzzle it to relatively quiet volume.

My question to you guys is, will the system work correctly if I just disconnect the buzzer?
I have the same problem (beep on wake). Apparently it is a rare enough issue that they haven’t been able to diagnose the cause of it, but at least you know you’re not alone.

You can disconnect the speaker if you want with no effect on the system.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Anyone with both of the TeslaOffer kits know how much they draw in terms of power?

Since fitting both kits my car has woken up a lot more often and stayed awake for 2+ hours each time. My gut feeling is that the car is waking up to charge the 12v battery, once it detects it has gone too low. I am using TeslaMate so I can see historical sleep & awake states, etc.

Prior to fitting the kits my car would often deep sleep for several days at a time when not plugged in (I rarely drive the car), but now it seems to need to wake up fairly regularly for no apparent reason.

The frunk kit is connected directly to the 12v battery, per the instructions. My trunk kit is currently connected to the penthouse 12v (which is wrong, as it's not a constant 12v - I need to rewire it to the front, but I'm presuming when I do this parasitic drain problem might get even worse?).

Is this just the way it is when you fit these kits?

Reactions: Massive Attack
Anyone with both of the TeslaOffer kits know how much they draw in terms of power?

Since fitting both kits my car has woken up a lot more often and stayed awake for 2+ hours each time. My gut feeling is that the car is waking up to charge the 12v battery, once it detects it has gone too low. I am using TeslaMate so I can see historical sleep & awake states, etc.

Prior to fitting the kits my car would often deep sleep for several days at a time when not plugged in (I rarely drive the car), but now it seems to need to wake up fairly regularly for no apparent reason.

The frunk kit is connected directly to the 12v battery, per the instructions. My trunk kit is currently connected to the penthouse 12v (which is wrong, as it's not a constant 12v - I need to rewire it to the front, but I'm presuming when I do this parasitic drain problem might get even worse?).

To be honest I've never monitored mine but have not noticed any odd draining or any other issues like constant waking up. My frunk kit is also direct to battery and trunk is VC right. I see that a couple of people have that beep issue and I'm wondering if thats something to do with the newer cars (I have a 2018). Mine has never done that and only beeps upon actual activation (open or close). Contact TO, they are quite responsive. I'm sure you probably know they are 7 hours ahead of you in the UK.

Sometimes you need the buzzer if you are doing a reset. I'd add tape to it to muffle the sound. If you really want to get fancy you could also wire an inconspicuous toggle switch for the speaker.

I don't know for certain but guessing it will work perfectly fine without the buzzer. Hopefully they can update the firmware to fix this issue for you. They do update firmware every once in a while and have it on their github page.

To be honest I've never monitored mine but have not noticed any odd draining or any other issues like constant waking up. My frunk kit is also direct to battery and trunk is VC right. I see that a couple of people have that beep issue and I'm wondering if thats something to do with the newer cars (I have a 2018). Mine has never done that and only beeps upon actual activation (open or close). Contact TO, they are quite responsive. I'm sure you probably know they are 7 hours ahead of you in the UK.
Yeah I spoke to TO when I first installed it. To be honest, as you know, it's a pretty easy thing to install (power connections wise anyway) that you can't really get it wrong, I don't think.

Before I installed my kit, when I was taking the frunk apart and deciding where to route wires, and before I had actually disconnected anything OEM, I noticed that my car would actuate the hood latch mechanism in some way when waking up. It wouldn't do it in such a way where it released the latch, but there was definitely some movement there. When I spoke to Ray @ TeslaOffer he said that their control box "sees" this actuation and assumes the hood is about to open, so beeps. Since the hood doesn't actually unlatch, it doesn't do the actual lifting part.

They have not been able to replicate the problem consistently enough to fix it, and to be honest mine does not do it every time either. It is rather unusual. It is somewhat annoying, too, but not enough for me to lose sleep over it.

I have my buzzer on a shelf in my garage. I’ll temporarily put it back if I need to reprogram. The Tesla Offer frunk kit works just fine without it.

Yeah, mine beeps 100% of the time the car wakes up. Walk into the garage, press the door handle to wake (so I can take the UMC out), and "beep." It's not too loud, I just don't like it. Per suggestions above, I will disconnect it. Too bad, as I like it when it opens and closes, as it's a good safety feature. All of the Honda Pilots and other cars I've noticed all beep on open and close.

I bought the trunk kit, too. I read somewhere else, exactly what you said about the car being awake a lot more after installing something. I searched for a bit, but could not find it. I thought it was a powered sub woofer.

I noticed that all the frunk install videos are about 30 minutes, but the few trunk kits install videos I can find are about 60 minutes. So I have not been gung ho about installing it. I have the "Jeep struts" on the trunk, so obviously I have to manually close it. I have developed a "license plate technique" as to not put fingerprints on the trunk. LOL

I am talking delivery of my car (Model 3) at the end of this week, and was about to order the Tesla Offer frunk kit, but noticed there is now a separate selection for 07/2021 and beyond. Since I’m just getting the car, presumably it was built in July or August. (Also this new option is sold out.)

I saw nothing explaining what could possibly have changed from 06/2021 to 07/2021 builds necessitating a different power frunk kit - anyone have any insight on this?

Could always ask them on WhatsApp/Telegram, they're very responsive. It may well be a change in the latch mechanism.
Ditto. I am positive they made the differentiation for a very good reason and the easiest way is to contact them. Raymond handles most of the tech questions and he's very responsive.

@edconline , let us know what you find out. The frunk kit btw is great - reliable and smooth.

Before I ordered, when I told them I received my new 2021 M3 in late June, they asked me to check to see if my frunk support looked like this (attached). It did not. I guess that’s a possible change in July deliveries, at least in some locations?

They told me to order the one up to 06/2021, not the latest one on the list.

Attachments

• 71D28645-8BAB-4F97-B3D9-49EA39C954C2.jpeg
    71D28645-8BAB-4F97-B3D9-49EA39C954C2.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 85