TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Happiness Guarantee Applies to Buyers Not Just Lessors.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by breser, Nov 21, 2014.

1. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

About a month ago Tesla announced that the US Bank Lease would include a Happiness Guarantee. Elon posted a new blog post mostly about the incentives that Tesla is getting from Nevada for the Gigafactory. But in it he said the following:

This implies that the Happiness Guarantee essentially applies to buyers. Given the way Tesla has treated me with my own trade of my September 2014 S85 that I'm replacing with a S85D, I'm not surprised by this. They've done a lot to build long term trust with me.

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Good catch.

I wonder if this is any different than the trade in pricing model we're seeing emerge.

3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

"Reasonable amount of time" might be 72 hours or 14 days. Not the 36 months of the Happiness Guarantee.

4. gpetti

gpetti Active Member

I think you might be in the minority where the trade ins are concerned. There has been a lot of annoyance expressed by others in this forum regarding their trade in values and Teslas handling of this. The only reason I took the trade in was because the tax savings of only paying tax on the difference made their offer closer to a level I could palate. As I get closer to my new car the bad taste is reducing but this definitely dented my trust.

5. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Happiness Guarantee on the Lease per the blog is only 3 months.

Perhaps you're thinking of the resale value that kicks in at 36 months.

But yes you're right that he was vague on the time frame.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm aware of this annoyance, but that's almost all been over people annoyed about cars they've had for a while. I recall at least one other person with a recent car getting a pretty high trade offer.

I got 94% of what I originally paid (after removing the tax credit). I have a hard time believing the car held 94% of its value after a month and almost 2,500 miles. Speaking to dealers I was told it'd take a fully optioned P vehicle for them to consider giving me more than what Tesla was offering. As opposed to my reasonably optioned S85.

Maybe my situation is an anomaly but I didn't ask Tesla when discussing the trade to do anything special for me. I had sent a long email to ownership@ telling them I was disappointed with how they handled the Autopilot rollout. Which was never responded to. So I suppose that was enough to trigger the difference in trade-in.

What did you end up getting as a percentage? You're not in the US so maybe the tax credit doesn't prop things up for you as much.

6. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Yep I was confusing them, thanks for clarifying.