Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happiness Guarantee Vanished ...... Now you see it .. now you don't ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@rgreen - your post is informative and well balanced. And I understand that California probably has more SCs than any other state. Your issue with the whine reminds me of the jet engine mode on my MX which the SC was seeing several cars with the issue and assumed it to be normal or at least were being told by the factory. They are very much dependent upon guidance from the factory. With the MX, ultimately it was found that some cars had condenser lines crossed and that resolved the issue for them. However, that's not the case with my MX and EM tweeted about the issue several weeks ago so I still have hope since it has been recognized at the highest level.

Did you seek another SC to review the issue with your vehicle or escalate to HQ? I have seen that it helps to escalate if local SC is not showing interest in resolving the issue. As consumers, we shouldn't settle unless they fix the issue.
@rgreen - your post is informative and well balanced. And I understand that California probably has more SCs than any other state. Your issue with the whine reminds me of the jet engine mode on my MX which the SC was seeing several cars with the issue and assumed it to be normal or at least were being told by the factory. They are very much dependent upon guidance from the factory. With the MX, ultimately it was found that some cars had condenser lines crossed and that resolved the issue for them. However, that's not the case with my MX and EM tweeted about the issue several weeks ago so I still have hope since it has been recognized at the highest level.

Did you seek another SC to review the issue with your vehicle or escalate to HQ? I have seen that it helps to escalate if local SC is not showing interest in resolving the issue. As consumers, we shouldn't settle unless they fix the issue.

Az_Real is correct. The Denver SC is the only one that I know of in Colorado. They told me that they were in communication with HQ and I believe them since the repair was linked to the exercise of the happiness guarantee and presumably because of this, the situation is then bumped to the highest levels within the company. The fact that a replacement drive unit was not offered led me to the conclusion that there is not an engineering fix for my issue at the current time. Otherwise it would have been much less expensive for Tesla to do the repair and they would have had a happy customer as a byproduct.

Reactions: srini
This is your first post nobody cares what you think :rolleyes: Anyway, Tesla has the highest satisfaction rate of any car. Happiness guarantee is irrelevant, if u are not happy with a Model X u need to question yourself not the car or Tesla. o_O
Why would you say "nobody cares what you think". You are speaking like you represent all xx thousand posters here. This new guy might just have some excellent things to share. If he is buying a $100,000 car, perhaps he has some successes in is wake that could be valuable to us all.

And I understand that California probably has more SCs than any other state.

Actually, the service center situation in California is worse than the USA average. The USA average is 1341 Teslas per service center. In California, there are 18 service centers and 34,031 Teslas. That's 34,031/18= 1891 Teslas per service center.

Btw, two years ago the USA average was 620 Teslas per service center. It has more than doubled since then. These are Q2 2016 numbers. At the end of this quarter, I will update the numbers again. Details can be found here: Tesla Service Center Stats

Last edited:
i was talking to him. He knows why I said that
Sure sounded like it was not a one-on-one comment, but like all folks on the forum are "nobody" and that you speak for all of us. Being one of "us", I don't rebuff folks in such a rude manner and don't appreciate being lumped into a group who does.
How is it that "he knows why I said that"? I sure don't know why that comment was justified. Want to explain your actions?

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Sure sounded like it was not a one-on-one comment, but like all folks on the forum are "nobody" and that you speak for all of us. Being one of "us", I don't rebuff folks in such a rude manner and don't appreciate being lumped into a group who does.
How is it that "he knows why I said that"? I sure don't know why that comment was justified. Want to explain your actions?

Because he said the same to me ? Now can u calm down and learn how to internet :eek:

Only Model X engine noise thread I found here is 90D Motor whine? with a few posters commenting on it saying they experienced the problem. I had read a lot about early Model S owners having a noise problem early on. I'm sure the problem exists, but I think some people are more sensitive to the sound than most of us. There will always be people who are unhappy with some aspect of such a complex vehicle. For me I love that slight electric motor noise when I am accelerating, combined with the incredible instant torque. Apparently a few also hear it when cruising at certain speeds. If the noise is a deal breaker than I understand you not wanting to keep the X. I've had previous cars of different brands that had annoying rattles that sometimes their service people could not isolate, even when they heard them, but it was something I lived with until it was time to trade it in. Hearing sensibility is a truly personal thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: RedP85+ and srini
My understanding of the happiness guarantee is that it was for those rare occasions that someone just wanted out of the lease (losing a bunch of money like mhan00 said) because the car just didn't work for them. It only lasted 90 days. The warranty is pretty darn good and they have gone out of their way to fix things in both our cars.

Of course, as the number of cars increases, the wait for service will increase. It seems to be a problem at some locations and not (yet) a problem at others. NC does not have a capacity issue yet and the service is quick. They definitely need to ramp up service capacity before the Model 3 is released.

@onesixeight - you have been around this forum for quite some time though I can't make out if you are an owner yet. However, you made several incorrect conclusions regarding Model X and Tesla:
"Not the most reliable car on the road" - nothing could be farther than truth. Just because a few early cars had issues with the complex design of doors doesn't make the car as a whole unreliable. And the issues are not recurring with the ones being produced now.

"Compromises on build quality due to cash liquidity of tesla" - their cash situation is far better than when they introduced Model S. And it costs them way more to make repairs than do a better job at the factory. Tesla has never been a company that would compromise on quality intentionally and pass of a poor product to its customers.

"Getting a good trouble free car is a hit or miss with Tesla" - again a completely unfounded statement. Except for some Model Xs that had issues, almost all of Model Ss are flawless.

"No test drive before you pay" - did you have a personal experience like that? TBH, in the last 15 years before I became a Tesla customer, I actually never test drove the actual MB or Lexus I was purchasing. Cars like this are built to a certain quality and a test drive of the actual vehicle is not going to reveal any flaws. There engines and suspension is not going to fall apart during a test drive. If you're buying a used vehicle then it does make sense to test drive it.

To answer your questions, yes I've had 2 Model S and currently have a Model X. The pay before you drive the car your ordered is what I experienced at the Seattle Delivery Center. Other regions or locations pay have different policies, but being that Tesla shops are factory owned, I'm guessing they share the same policy. If someone experienced differently, please feel free to chime in. The decision to test drive is important to me as I care about things like fit and finish. I don't want a brand new car with a bunch of rattles or poor fitment of body panels.

I'm just reporting what I experienced, both my Model S were not trouble free. I said not the "most" reliable, I didn't say its an unreliable car that will leave you stranded due to the battery failing or the motor quitting on you. My driver's door continues to have latch issues even with the updated latch. When I use the word reliable, I think its not too much to ask that your door opens and closes without issue. A basic part of any car that should work without fail, full stop!

Again, I'm not a Tesla hater, but I want anyone who is in the market for a Tesla to know all the facts before buying one. A lot of people on this forum write like this is the last and only car that should be for sale because its the best thing since sliced bread. While its a good car with amazing technological advancements, buyers should know there there may be growing pains as things like FWD with ultrasonic sensors behind the aluminum skin is tech that has never been used in another production vehicle.

My Tesla's have never left me stranded or anything like that, but they have not been trouble free either.

To answer your questions, yes I've had 2 Model S and currently have a Model X. The pay before you drive the car your ordered is what I experienced at the Seattle Delivery Center. Other regions or locations pay have different policies, but being that Tesla shops are factory owned, I'm guessing they share the same policy. If someone experienced differently, please feel free to chime in. The decision to test drive is important to me as I care about things like fit and finish. I don't want a brand new car with a bunch of rattles or poor fitment of body panels.

I'm just reporting what I experienced, both my Model S were not trouble free. I said not the "most" reliable, I didn't say its an unreliable car that will leave you stranded due to the battery failing or the motor quitting on you. My driver's door continues to have latch issues even with the updated latch. When I use the word reliable, I think its not too much to ask that your door opens and closes without issue. A basic part of any car that should work without fail, full stop!

Again, I'm not a Tesla hater, but I want anyone who is in the market for a Tesla to know all the facts before buying one. A lot of people on this forum write like this is the last and only car that should be for sale because its the best thing since sliced bread. While its a good car with amazing technological advancements, buyers should know there there may be growing pains as things like FWD with ultrasonic sensors behind the aluminum skin is tech that has never been used in another production vehicle.

My Tesla's have never left me stranded or anything like that, but they have not been trouble free either.
Well said and thank you for explaining your statements and experience. And though I have known other people who have had similar experiences, mine has been positive and so have many others who aren't even on this forum.

With that being said, my experiences with Lexus and MB were significantly poorer than with Tesla in all ways..quality of cars to service. And of course Tesla is the only automotive company I have known that is wide open for feature requests and communicates when you write to them.

But overall I am in agreement that it is good for new buyers to set their expectations correctly and not expect an utopian world with Tesla.

OP -- you're really not "out" anything. When I asked about invoking my HG the SC finally sent me the form on Day 89 (of 90) and told me to have everything completed and the car turned in by the end of that same day. A 45-mile one-way drive with no way home on a workday pretty much ensured I wasn't returning the car. But as others have said, the revenue lost in returning the car is enough incentive to keep it.

2 questions (actually 3)

Has anyone successfully got this back if it was there when they ordered but not there now? And if so what was cut off date?

everyone thinks they took it away because they are big enough now, but they would almost be forced to do it before 2.0. Or else 3 months of leases would almost definitely turn in their car for a new one. Right?

I would kill it 90 days before 2.0 hardware is announced, but I am fuzzy on the exact details. Has anyone excersized the option?

The pay before you drive the car your ordered is what I experienced at the Seattle Delivery Center. Other regions or locations pay have different policies, but being that Tesla shops are factory owned, I'm guessing they share the same policy. If someone experienced differently, please feel free to chime in.
I was given the option to drive my X prior to payment. They asked to button up payment at the start of delivery, but I told them I wanted to go over the car first. When we were done, I was asked if I'd like to drive it, and I choose not to do so. Once we wrote up my due bill, I wrote the check and handed over payment. This may be more complicated when financing is involved.

I was given the option to drive my X prior to payment. They asked to button up payment at the start of delivery, but I told them I wanted to go over the car first. When we were done, I was asked if I'd like to drive it, and I choose not to do so. Once we wrote up my due bill, I wrote the check and handed over payment. This may be more complicated when financing is involved.
Cashiers check or personal. Just curious. Interested to know the break down by state of cash financing and lease.

Trusting company.

Seems they would need to clear check before handing over keys. From what I see so far you upload a pic of your drivers license... Has to be more verification than that. Not having been through the process so just seeing how it is.
There are ways to verify a personal check before you leave ;) not sure if Tesla does this, but it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.