Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Anniversary!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was not in line. I did not reserve until April 2nd when a friend mentioned his reservation for the Model 3 to me. Went online, watched Elon's presentation and reserved IMMEDIATELY after the video. I may have even paused it to reserve :)
I figured the timing was right, I would get the Model 3 in 2018 and sell my 2008 Yukon XL.
Joined TMC and Model3ownersclub , was talked into a test drive of the S which was not too bright financially. :)
I LOVE the S and looking forward to the 3!

Reactions: ModelX
I arrived at the Walnut Creek store at 10 when it opened thinking I'd probably have an hour wait. Instead the line was already around the block and I didn't reserve until 1.

A friend who tagged along but didn't reserve and I got interviewed by the local TV station. He made the evening news and I didn't, of course!

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX
If I had known that there were going to be in-store reservations, I might have also been in the Bellevue, WA line. As it was, I ordered during the reveal event, pretty much the moment online reservations went live.

As an AWD devotee, I'm kind of glad now that I didn't stand in line.

I saw myself in this picture from an Elektrek article, in fact they've used it in a number of articles.
imgl9271-e1461785537972.jpg

I'm the guy on the left in the shorts calling my bank to find out that the cup of coffee I bought on my way there that morning put me over my daily $1,000 card limit so they had to adjust it so I could put my deposit down.
Hah! I actually called my bank the day before and told them I'd be dropping a grand on a car deposit to make 100% sure there were no problems.

Now, I'm not the kind of person who just throws "LOLs" around, but... LOL!!! That's hilarious! :D

It's funny, I remember there being someone from Connecticut somewhere just behind me, and I remember wondering whether it was you, because your handle and location were fresh in my mind from the thread discussing where to park at / enter the Natick mall. Though it may have been one of the others between us (I remember the gentleman in front of you being both chatty and entertaining), that's quite a coincidence nevertheless!
Probably wasn't me you were thinking of... I was generally pretty quiet because I was still taking in how ridiculous that line was. I expected to see the lawn chairs, but man my jaw dropped as I passed through endless corridors filled with people. Finally got into line around the massage chairs and it wasn't even 9:30!

Reactions: Bokonon
A little over a year ago I told my husband that I would be taking the 31st off. I asked if there were any errands he wanted me to run. He casually and half jokingly said that maybe I could go to the Tesla store and sign up for the Model3. I said "What's that?" I had no idea it was coming out. I loved the S but never imagined we could get a Tesla. He said the timing works out well for us since the M3 doesn't come out until 2018/2019 and we would have to replace one of our cars by then.

A year ago today, I told my retired parents that I took the day off to spend it with them, but I had to run a little errand at the Tesla store first. They knew what Telsa was and wanted to come with me. My mom knew about the Model S and wanted to get one, but wanted to build a special garage with glass walls first so that everyone in the neighborhood could see her S (she was joking). We got to the UTC mall in San Diego at 11am. The line was ridiculous, by some counts we were about #500 in line. The staff at the UTC store was great. They handed out water, granola bars, cookies, and even pizza. It took us 5 hours to get to the front of the line. My mom had just recovered from 3 years of cancer treatments and she stood in line with me for 5 hours! She wanted to put her name on the list too! It was such a great experience and she loves telling everyone the story about how she waited in line for the M3. The only part I didn't like was that later I found out that the other mall 20mins away had NO lines. People were able to walk right in and put their names down. A friend of mine did so during his lunch break....while I was still in line at UTC. I don't know why they didn't try to divert some people over there.

Also a year ago today, I started lurking on TMC. This is my first post here. :)

I went to the store/service center at Tyco Rd at Tysons at about 9:AM, there were about 200 people in line already. here is a photo of the line. Tesla employees were handing out coffe and donuts. The store opened at 10AM and the line was moving quickly and I was done by 11:15AM.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 64
Here are some shots from Austin. I was about 105 in line. I got to put in my reservation at 11:15. There were security guards that were yelling at us for taking photos on "private property". Also a brand new founders Model X showed up.

8E6E9D31-2C35-493A-AEA6-9D05A53705DC_zpsqb6m3m5k.jpg

5D2BE6CA-CC28-419E-BF6A-36500E21DD8B_zpsbubgh23c.jpg

4179015F-4440-4913-BD40-67FF7481112A_zpsfprp7qzu.jpg

940C9B52-8959-41AF-A8E8-FDDFCA8C0A95_zpshsvqqveo.jpg

80DECDC2-622B-493E-BCC0-95BA85658DB7_zpsmircbguy.jpg

Reactions: S3XY
I took the day off from work (03/31/16), so I could put in a deposit. Made it to the Tesla Gallery in Austin, TX, at 2:30 PM. Spoke to the tesla employee who assisted me in getting my deposit recorded, "I thought there would be a line." I had missed the line by 20 minutes.

I will love the model 3 with whatever it comes, I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off or the end of life. Not on impact.

I sort of wanted an electric car since 10th grade; however, it never happened until now or in the future.

Happy adversary all.

I remember my morning went very well...
I went to the office first, which was luckily close to our store in the mall. I didn't even take the day off as I wasn't sure what to expect. I even tried some research as the day before I stopped into the store to try gauging the expected turnout...tried to figure out when to be there the next day. I decided I would go to the office first, then pop over to see how the lines were and either wait or come back later that afternoon.
SO glad I left when I did!
Arrived at the KOP mall at 8:24am and by my rough count I was 43rd in line, I obviously waited and reserved approx. 10:25am EST.
I recall the slow buildup and general buzz as the line grew and people showed up including the general mall shoppers who kept asking us what was happening. I even recall a few confused apple phanatics thinking we were there for something they were doing the same day (?don't recall what that was).
We had the similar experience with cookies and water from the staff, they even took some photos from the 2nd floor and riled everyone up right before opening.
The best part was walking out of the store as a reservation holder and seeing what had to be easily 300 or more people in that line!

Attachments

• IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 41
I took the day off from work (03/31/16), so I could put in a deposit. Made it to the Tesla Gallery in Austin, TX, at 2:30 PM. Spoke to the tesla employee who assisted me in getting my deposit recorded, "I thought there would be a line." I had missed the line by 20 minutes.

I will love the model 3 with whatever it comes, I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off or the end of life. Not on impact.

I sort of wanted an electric car since 10th grade; however, it never happened until now or in the future.

Happy adversary all.
I took the day off too. I used a "floating holiday". I told everyone I had the day off because it was "Model 3 Day".

I remember my morning went very well...
Arrived at the KOP mall at 8:24am and by my rough count I was 43rd in line

Meanwhile I arrived at 5:50 am and I was around the 50th in line. Here are some chilly and wet memories from a year ago:
20160331_055043.jpg 20160331_095534.jpg tesla_file_3.jpg Tesla_file_4.jpg

Measuring on google map, the queue was about 460 ft or 140 meters long. Assuming two persons per meter, this is 280 persons, All waiting under the rain, freezing but no one complained (well... maybe some did, but they were smiling at the same time, so it does not count)! Each of them waiting to pay 1000$ for something that they never seen, that only got some rumors about it and that they could only get in two years at best. And it was not only in Montreal, but everywhere throughout the world!

Those are the kind of things that can make you believe that there is still some hope for humanity (not much, but there is still).