Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it appears Powertools is dead and no longer functioning. The last time I used it was about a month ago. Visible Tesla is still working which at least means API isn't totally locked out. Perhaps Tesla tightened up some of the authenticated loopholes in such a way that VT still works while PT doesn't. Perhaps they changed the location of the servers and VT had a way of updating those in the existing app. I'm only guessing. But since VT still works, it stands to reason PT should be fixable. I sent the developer a message but haven't heard back yet.

So it appears Powertools is dead and no longer functioning. The last time I used it was about a month ago. Visible Tesla is still working which at least means API isn't totally locked out. Perhaps Tesla tightened up some of the authenticated loopholes in such a way that VT still works while PT doesn't. Perhaps they changed the location of the servers and VT had a way of updating those in the existing app. I'm only guessing. But since VT still works, it stands to reason PT should be fixable. I sent the developer a message but haven't heard back yet.

And how is this related to the subject of this thread? Seems like something better suited for the REST API thread.

Ah, you probably meant to post over here:

Max Battery Power setting in P90DL - Page 6

And how is this related to the subject of this thread? Seems like something better suited for the REST API thread.

Ah, you probably meant to post over here:

Max Battery Power setting in P90DL - Page 6

There were a few posts earlier in this thread, like #86, requesting that Pete get REST data. Sorry if it seemed out of place.

So I just got back from being a passenger on Pete's rail gun roller coaster ride. It's quite something being a passenger :)

So it's basically like in sane mode all the way up to 60 MPH. Actually, there's more power everywhere including freeway passing. I can't wait to see what the vbox data has in store!

Thanks again Pete. I can't wait to upgrade to L myself.

There were a few posts earlier in this thread, like #86, requesting that Pete get REST data. Sorry if it seemed out of place.

So I just got back from being a passenger on Pete's rail gun roller coaster ride. It's quite something being a passenger :)

So it's basically like in sane mode all the way up to 60 MPH. Actually, there's more power everywhere including freeway passing. I can't wait to see what the vbox data has in store!

Thanks again Pete. I can't wait to upgrade to L myself.

No problem! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you were able to notice a difference.

No problem! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you were able to notice a difference.

Wondering if you did any launches with Ludicrous mode enabled, but without the max battery power heating on, and if so, what sorka thought of those launches as compared to P85D insane launches.

I ask for the obvious reason that it is possible the Ludicrous upgrade on the P85D could be limited to something that feels more like that than the launch that includes the max battery power mode turned on.

Wondering if you did any launches with Ludicrous mode enabled, but without the max battery power heating on, and if so, what sorka thought of those launches as compared to P85D insane launches.

I ask for the obvious reason that it is possible the Ludicrous upgrade on the P85D could be limited to something that feels more like that than the launch that includes the max battery power mode turned on.

I launched L-mode, L-mode heated, and also did 30-60, and 60+ on highway. He will be able to tell you what he felt between all of them

I do remember him saying he noticed the difference in the launch without the heated battery

I was able to get the streaming API working via Python so when I go out to use the VBOX later tonight I'll tether my laptop and capture the power data as well. Watching a video of a P85D doing 0-60 in insane mode I see the power being higher.

vs mine

Last edited by a moderator:
Unknown: BP01
Unknown: BR01
Unknown: COUS
Unknown: DA02 {DA01 = Active Safety (ACC, LDW, SA}
Unknown: DCF0
Unknown: MS04 {MS03 = "root_vehicle" version in the pricebook for my P85D}
PMNG = Paint, Metallic, New Gray
Unknown: PX4D {PX00 = No Performance Plus Package}
RENA = REgion - North America
Unknown: RFP2 {RFPO = All Glass Panoramic Roof}
Unknown: TP03 {TP02 = Tech Package v2 (my impression from the design page source)}
PI01 - Premium Interior
Unknown: QNEB {QRLB = Black Next Generation Seats}
Unknown: X040
Pete, take a look at the post linked below. My P85D has some similar codes that I've identified; for example, mine has TP02.
Battery code for P85+ and D models

Last edited:
Yea, the biggest difference was that between my P85D and the P90DL without battery heating. I can't say I noticed any difference after the battery heat cycle completed. That said, took quite a while. We drove around for it seems like at least 15 minutes before the max power said it was ready. By then, KW had been drained from the battery and it could be that the slight decrease in power from 90% to whatever it was when the heat cycle was done would have canceled each other out. Can't be positive. I also could be that the max power mode is only a tiny bit more than Ludicrous without it which would be good thing in the grand schema of things. You don't always want to be running the max power conditioning if you can avoid it. I suspect it will make that slight difference on the drag strip. You'll never be able to time it for the stop light encounter as it would just take too long. Not like the P90D is going to need it for pretty much anything. 0-60 is vicious.

Yea, the biggest difference was that between my P85D and the P90DL without battery heating. I can't say I noticed any difference after the battery heat cycle completed. That said, took quite a while. We drove around for it seems like at least 15 minutes before the max power said it was ready. By then, KW had been drained from the battery and it could be that the slight decrease in power from 90% to whatever it was when the heat cycle was done would have canceled each other out. Can't be positive. I also could be that the max power mode is only a tiny bit more than Ludicrous without it which would be good thing in the grand schema of things. You don't always want to be running the max power conditioning if you can avoid it. I suspect it will make that slight difference on the drag strip. You'll never be able to time it for the stop light encounter as it would just take too long. Not like the P90D is going to need it for pretty much anything. 0-60 is vicious.

I'll post more information after I play some more, but right now max power is 456 KW

As a preliminary indication, this does not look good from a horsepower standpoint, right? If I've done the math right, based on the assumption that the P85D's max kW is 415 resulting in a max HP of 557, that would be a max HP of 612 HP.

Yeah 456 was the highest I got with and without the max battery option at ready. If you think about it... 10% HP/KW improvement... L-mode costs 10% of the car. So really you are getting what you pay for haha!

chart.jpeg

Yeah 456 was the highest I got with and without the max battery option at ready.

Well, I'm not going to throw the towel in on this one yet. When the very first video of a P90D with Ludicrous surfaced, and wk057 pointed out that based on the power meter, he doubted the horsepower claims would be met, I pointed out that it was possible Tesla just hadn't fully enabled Ludicrous mode yet. So perhaps that really is what we're seeing.

The grasping at straws possible explanation is that perhaps the hardware is in place, but Tesla hasn't enabled the full power output yet, and will do so later via software. Obviously I wouldn't be defending this position, but it's not as if Tesla hasn't done stuff like this before. Our early P85Ds, as most reading this thread will recall, were released completely lacking the torque sleep software that would eventually get them close to the efficiency expected, meaning they were very far from it when they were released, yet there wasn't so much as a whisper about this from Tesla for many weeks. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the full capabilities of the P90D were not yet software enabled.

Last edited:
Congrats on being the first pull a hard number out of the battery with L mode. What SOC was this? Can't wait to see what the max power difference is. If everything is consistent, the vbox should come up with about 550 at the wheels with those kW numbers above. Really can't wait to see the first 1/4 mile timeslips. Unless we can get those numbers up a bit more, I'm not sure how they can get 8 tenths off the 1/4 mile time.