Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not saying this to turn this into a big HP debate, but I do want to point out that 612 instead of 762 is a ~20% loss, and ICE cars I've seen have had a 20+% loss from crank to wheel. I don't know much about EVs yet so I don't know if there would be an equivalent loss. I've never expected a car to actually put out the numbers they say because of the loss.

IMHO loss at highest power levels could be very high, while loss at low power output could be closer to 0. We don't know where the power is being measured. After line/inverter loss and/or even motor loss?

Again, the Model S is only one of 2 cars in the world (that I know of) that have ever had a power gauge, the other being the Bugatti Veyron.

IMHO loss at highest power levels could be very high, while loss at low power output could be closer to 0. We don't know where the power is being measured. After line/inverter loss and/or even motor loss?

Again, the Model S is only one of 2 cars in the world (that I know of) that have ever had a power gauge, the other being the Bugatti Veyron.

Bimmers are ahead of Tesla in that regard (since a few years a least); they have a power and a torque meter. :p

displayg.jpg

I fully understand that, sorry for not realizing that! Nice to hear that you can feel a difference at all at higher speeds... sounds encouraging to me!
Nice lights, no more moist for you overthere! :smile:

Passing power has improved quite a bit. I'm not planning on posting numbers above 70 unless I find a track because I'd prefer not to post incriminating evidence. Just personal preference.

I do have the updated tail lights. There's a picture further up of what they look like.

Nissan Leaf has a power gauge on the center screen (goes to 80KW) and had that in 2011 before the Model S came out.

I think most of the modern mass produced EVs have similar gauges.

Tesla could be including the battery loss at peak power in their power *rating*.

At 20 amps per cell and 0.04 per cell (numbers I've verified myself) that's 16W per cell, or about 115kW of power/heat lost due to cell impedance.
The dash/car measures battery power, so

455kW * .95 (eff of motor/inverter) = 580hp + 115kW energy lost at battery = 734 hp.
Hell take out the loss of the motor/inverter and you get right at 760 hp total system power. Just only 580hp of propulsion power peak.

Yeah the pack is taking a heat load of 115kW at peak power. Good thing it's distributed over 1,000 lbs of battery and only for 5 seconds at a time. ;-)

I am 99.5% certain it's battery volts * amps, so it doesn't even include wiring losses, let alone inverter/motor/gearbox loss.

Last edited:
The applique slope downward towards the sides and apparently not integrated into the actual headlights. The TESLA is also raised a bit more.

Tail-lights. The new facia apparently has no integrated lens in the area where it overlaps the tail lamps. This may stop the water clouding of that older integrated plastic lens. Also the TESLA logo in the facia is a bit more raised or stands proud. I have not seen the new rear facia in person just a few pictures from cars assembled after mid August.

It's apparently E in Australia. I wonder if the battery is somehow different, or maybe they've changed it again since they last submitted the VIN format in July.

Indeed, the VINs in Europe have an E as well for the 90 kWh battery. My guess is that the E might stand for Extended. Previously we had S for Standard and H for High.
Anyone with a 90D on order that has a W in the VIN? Maybe the W is for the special pack containing the ludicrous hardware since the new fuse and contactors are located inside the pack. They need some way to distinguish between a regular 90 kWh pack and a ludicrous one...

Indeed, the VINs in Europe have an E as well for the 90 kWh battery. My guess is that the E might stand for Extended. Previously we had S for Standard and H for High.
Anyone with a 90D on order that has a W in the VIN? Maybe the W is for the special pack containing the ludicrous hardware since the new fuse and contactors are located inside the pack. They need some way to distinguish between a regular 90 kWh pack and a ludicrous one...

Jpet: Yes indeed it would be interesting to know if the P90D and P90D both have the same traction pack. If that were the case, then one could perhaps "upgrade" a P90D to the Ludicrous P90D with simply a software key upgrade.

Jpet: Yes indeed it would be interesting to know if the P90D and P90D both have the same traction pack. If that were the case, then one could perhaps "upgrade" a P90D to the Ludicrous P90D with simply a software key upgrade.

I dont think this will happen. The new fuses are seriously more expensive than the standard ones, so I can't see Tesla fitting these by default to all 90KWH batteries.

(An interesting thought if they did, is that Tesla could possibly then offer a 60+mph perofrmance upgrade to the 90D too, though can't see that happening either)