Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Teslaversary - One Year In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy New Year, everyone. My 90D was delivered to me on December 29, 2015... and life hasn't been the same since :)

I just thought I'd quickly post my experience so far. As of this morning, I'm at 23,914.6 km lifetime for the car. One full year of use has yielded an average of 201 Wh/km, which is about 11% above rated for my car. I think this is because the car's spent about 5 of the last 12 months below freezing, in a climate where just running the seat heaters and heated steering wheel doesn't keep the frost off the windows. All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the energy useage. Towards the end of this past summer/fall I was seeing 150 Wh/km in steady highway driving, so the rated numbers are definitely achievable, but the climate conditions here keep the rated numbers as the exception rather than the rule.

As of yesterday, a 90% charge is giving me 400 rated kilometres of range. The last 100% charge I did about 2 weeks ago for a trip, was showing 442km at 99%. I don't have the original window sticker handy, but the original estimated range wasn't too far off of that as I recall. The new refresh car is rated at (up to) 473km on the current website, but I think the new cars are slightly more efficient than my late-2015. To be perfectly honest, I don't ever look at the rated range; I leave the battery meter on all the time, as I find the percentage to be a little more reassuring than looking at remaining range. I tend to focus more on the actual Wh/km numbers as an indicator of how far I can go on a charge.

Thus far (knock wood), I have had a grand total of zero issues with the car. A couple of software glitches, including one where having a specifc device plugged into USB was causing the maps to go haywire, but absolutely no hardware issues. This is a good thing, as the closest service centre is in Vancouver, about 1300 km away. That was my biggest source of anxiety before getting the car, having heard some horror stories, but I'm pleased to say that thus far my car has required absolutely nothing from me - I haven't even had to fill the wiper fluid reservoir.

I do hope to see the Calgary service centre opened this year, and a few more Superchargers in the West would be great, but given that most of my non-local travel is between Edmonton and Calgary, it hasn't been a huge issue. One item that does cause difficulty is trying to drive from Edmonton to Calgary and back same-day; even charging to 100% in Red Deer makes it touch-and-go to travel the 300km round-trip from Red Deer back to Red Deer, especially if any driving in Calgary is required. A charger in Calgary and one in Edmonton would make that trip easy for anyone doing it from either direction, and reduce the amount of charging time required in Red Deer.

I guess the biggest sign of a satisfied customer is referral business, so I'm pretty pleased that my boss has purchased a Model X 90D and should be taking delivery next week. I hope his experience with the X is as good as mine with my Model S has been.

Thanks to all the users and contributors to this forum, it's a truly exceptional place to find information, help, advice, discussion, and read some highly intelligent and well-informed opinions. It's interesting to read about things that happen where Tesla's market penetration is much higher than it is here in the hinterlands, and compare to my experiences here in the Great White North.

Best wishes to all for a happy and prosperous 2017.

Happy New Year, everyone. My 90D was delivered to me on December 29, 2015... and life hasn't been the same since :)

have had my X for about a month now and it's darn cold here in Chicago. the heater uses an awful lot of battery. they tell me about 25 miles of battery per hour of heater?

when it's below about 20F I can never get the car warm enough even with heat on full blast both front and back. it's an X and I assume that the "volume" of interior is just too big for the battery power that runs the heater. or maybe the huge from window creates such a cold surface tthat the heater can't overcome it?

any ideas? anyone have similar issue?

I just thought I'd quickly post my experience so far. As of this morning, I'm at 23,914.6 km lifetime for the car. One full year of use has yielded an average of 201 Wh/km, which is about 11% above rated for my car. I think this is because the car's spent about 5 of the last 12 months below freezing, in a climate where just running the seat heaters and heated steering wheel doesn't keep the frost off the windows. All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the energy useage. Towards the end of this past summer/fall I was seeing 150 Wh/km in steady highway driving, so the rated numbers are definitely achievable, but the climate conditions here keep the rated numbers as the exception rather than the rule.

As of yesterday, a 90% charge is giving me 400 rated kilometres of range. The last 100% charge I did about 2 weeks ago for a trip, was showing 442km at 99%. I don't have the original window sticker handy, but the original estimated range wasn't too far off of that as I recall. The new refresh car is rated at (up to) 473km on the current website, but I think the new cars are slightly more efficient than my late-2015. To be perfectly honest, I don't ever look at the rated range; I leave the battery meter on all the time, as I find the percentage to be a little more reassuring than looking at remaining range. I tend to focus more on the actual Wh/km numbers as an indicator of how far I can go on a charge.

Thus far (knock wood), I have had a grand total of zero issues with the car. A couple of software glitches, including one where having a specifc device plugged into USB was causing the maps to go haywire, but absolutely no hardware issues. This is a good thing, as the closest service centre is in Vancouver, about 1300 km away. That was my biggest source of anxiety before getting the car, having heard some horror stories, but I'm pleased to say that thus far my car has required absolutely nothing from me - I haven't even had to fill the wiper fluid reservoir.

I do hope to see the Calgary service centre opened this year, and a few more Superchargers in the West would be great, but given that most of my non-local travel is between Edmonton and Calgary, it hasn't been a huge issue. One item that does cause difficulty is trying to drive from Edmonton to Calgary and back same-day; even charging to 100% in Red Deer makes it touch-and-go to travel the 300km round-trip from Red Deer back to Red Deer, especially if any driving in Calgary is required. A charger in Calgary and one in Edmonton would make that trip easy for anyone doing it from either direction, and reduce the amount of charging time required in Red Deer.

I guess the biggest sign of a satisfied customer is referral business, so I'm pretty pleased that my boss has purchased a Model X 90D and should be taking delivery next week. I hope his experience with the X is as good as mine with my Model S has been.

Thanks to all the users and contributors to this forum, it's a truly exceptional place to find information, help, advice, discussion, and read some highly intelligent and well-informed opinions. It's interesting to read about things that happen where Tesla's market penetration is much higher than it is here in the hinterlands, and compare to my experiences here in the Great White North.

Best wishes to all for a happy and prosperous 2017.

I see your TMC join date was the same day. Did you stalk TMC first? :)
I spent a couple months on TMC and received some great info before ordering my S. Was there anything you regret NOT getting as an option?
Looong-time lurker, for sure. This forum was such a fantastic find. My delivery was out the back of the car hauler to my house, but thanks to this forum I already knew more about the car than the delivery driver did (and he had a good spiel, being about the only guy delivering Teslas in Alberta at the time).

I regret nothing :). If I’d been a couple months later I wouldn’t have had to pay for the premium interior just to get the black headliner (probably not a lot of cars out there with the basic fabric seats and the premium interior upgrade combo), but I do like the Alcantara dash and the ambient lighting so I’m happy with that decision. I also use the sub-zero package stuff constantly, especially this time of year and more now that my kids are outgrowing their booster seats (10-yr-old out, 8-yr-old still in for another year probably).

I don’t miss what I’ve never had, so not having Autopilot hasn’t been a regret in the slightest, and half the year here the roads are covered in snow so Autopilot wouldn’t have a clue what to do anyhow. When level 5 comes along and can handle all climates, I’ll be at the head of the line for whoever is offering it but for now the car is just such a pleasure to drive that I’m happy to do my own dirty work.

If I were to do it again today, the 75D would be on my radar. Since I got the car 2 years ago, we have added 3 new Superchargers and a Service Centre in Alberta, so the support picture is substantially better than it was. However, the extra range of the 90 (now the 100) is something that I would have a hard time giving up. I’d have to study that choice for a while. In a couple more years when my lease is up, the S vs. 3 analysis will also be getting some serious study, although I’m hoping there’s an outside chance the Y will be available which is really the one I think I want.

It’s been so enjoyable reading everyone’s input as they get their cars; I remember reading your early posts (your car’s name is unique :)). Now seeing the excitement and the breathless dissection of every Model 3 post is hugely entertaining and reminds me of how I felt a couple of years ago, and it’s awesome to see all the people who are now able to enjoy the Tesla experience as the Master Plan proceeds.

Just over 52,000 km of bliss now, and I still feel humbled and grateful every time I see the car in my garage. I still check TMC daily to see what’s going on in this growing community, and am glad to be a part of it.

Happy New Year, and all the best for 2018 to you and the rest of TMC.

Reactions: Joe F and Chopr147
If you are not a Tesla owner, you may not understand the love people have for their cars. I'm talking some people who were never car lovers or gear heads etc.............A Tesla is just so different yet still "just a car"? Nah, more than that :)
I have a 75D (you reminded me I should change my signature) Uncorked my 60D 2 months ago. I'm with ya: No regrets! When I hemmed and hawed over ordering I just could not justify the extra $9500 I think it was for a 75. So happy I waited on that one :)

Happy New Year! Eh :)

Reactions: TLej