Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy with base Model S 60 with no upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want a model 3, but my "itch" is getting stronger and my patience is getting weaker every day!
It is my belief that this will become an increasingly common refrain. After the real (i.e., not just to "friends and family") launch of the 3
is delayed a couple of times, and/or the initial shipping volume is a tiny trickle, the few voices will become a chorus. This is the basis of
my Used Ss Will Become Hot Commodities theory.

I'm thinking if I get a 60 with a couple of options(AP +??) and keep it until I can get the model 3, trade in the 60, it'll be about right.
The new 60 deal seems really tempting. There's another thread going on right now about how satisfied someone is likely to be with a
base model 60 and the consensus seems to be (unless you're @dgpcolorado ;)) get AP but you can probably live without pretty much
every other option (depending, somewhat, on where you live). Personally, unless money is super tight I'd also spring for the next-gen
seats, which are really nice. But even without them you've still got a Tesla :)

Not sure what the trade in value will be in 18 months. Anyone have an idea on trade in values? If it's more than the cost of the 3, do I get a refund?
What makes you so sure you'd want to swap your S for a 3 at that point? You just might become rather attached to it, though no one
on these boards could attest to that. ;) @fsubrettt48's point about first-gen Tesla models is worth considering as well. As for a refund versus the price of a 3, that seems highly unlikely.

Reactions: fsubrett48
If I didn't already own one with some options I might consider less options for my first tesla but I'm spoiled now. The S60 was introduced right before I took delivery and I thought about losing my deposit and going with the 60 but passed.

For me the must haves:
- pano roof
- AWD

What I would kick myself for not ordering:
- next gen seats
- air suspension (love it on my car)
- cold weather (I live in CT)
- blue paint (if I'm ordering new that's my preference)
- auto lift gate - though this may be standard now?

Add it all up and it was easy to keep my CPO S85 under $50k vs spending close to $80k on a new car before incentive.

What makes you so sure you'd want to swap your S for a 3 at that point? You just might become rather attached to it, though no one
on these boards could attest to that.

This is so true. My S was supposed to be my waiting for a 3 car, but honestly aside from AP temping me I want to keep my S. It's a large car, but it does not drive like one and the storage/cargo capacity is phenomenal.

This is so true. My S was supposed to be my waiting for a 3 car, but honestly aside from AP temping me I want to keep my S. It's a large car, but it does not drive like one and the storage/cargo capacity is phenomenal.
That's what I'm afraid of:mad:
I'm used to a smaller car(Prius) and my garage is rather small(ish). I guess I'll have to take a couple more test drives to see.

After the real (i.e., not just to "friends and family") launch of the 3
is delayed a couple of times, and/or the initial shipping volume is a tiny trickle, the few voices will become a chorus. This is the basis of
my Used Ss Will Become Hot Commodities theory.

I have read many posts on this board by people who think the opposite, i.e. that the used S's resale value will plummet. The reason I have seen most often given to back this up is that the Model 3 will begin to siphon off potential pre-owned Model S buyers. Sure, there might be some of this going on, but this line of thinking misses the bigger picture. We have already seen the beginning of this bigger picture after all the Model 3 reservations. What has happened? Many of these Model 3 reservation holders have already purchased CPO's and in some cases NEW Model S's. The introduction of the Model 3 has brought Tesla onto the radar for hundreds of thousands of Model 3 reservation holders, with more to come! This is a HUGE pool of people, many of whom will end up sooner or later in Model S CPO's or new S's. Sure, some potential S CPO buyers will buy a Model 3 instead, but some potential Model 3 buyers will buy S's instead (both CPO and New). The key to my theory that the resale for the older S's will not plummet lies in the FACT that the overall pool of potential buyers has increased exponentially BECAUSE of the Model 3. If the resale value of the older Model S's plummets, my guess is it will be due to potential buyers shying away due to expensive repair costs for all the high tech & luxury items on the cars as they age and are no longer under warranty.

I really want a model 3, but my "itch" is getting stronger and my patience is getting weaker every day!

I was in exactly the same boat. I gave in and ordered a S60 with blue paint and pano roof as the only add-ons. I'm sure I'll enable the AP in the future as well, but wanted to keep my monthly payments super low for now.

I hope the vinyl will last for a long time. That's the only concern.

I have read many posts on this board by people who think the opposite, i.e. that the used S's resale value will plummet. The reason I have seen most often given to back this up is that the Model 3 will begin to siphon off potential pre-owned Model S buyers. Sure, there might be some of this going on, but this line of thinking misses the bigger picture. We have already seen the beginning of this bigger picture after all the Model 3 reservations. What has happened? Many of these Model 3 reservation holders have already purchased CPO's and in some cases NEW Model S's. The introduction of the Model 3 has brought Tesla onto the radar for hundreds of thousands of Model 3 reservation holders, with more to come! This is a HUGE pool of people, many of whom will end up sooner or later in Model S CPO's or new S's. Sure, some potential S CPO buyers will buy a Model 3 instead, but some potential Model 3 buyers will buy S's instead (both CPO and New). The key to my theory that the resale for the older S's will not plummet lies in the FACT that the overall pool of potential buyers has increased exponentially BECAUSE of the Model 3. If the resale value of the older Model S's plummets, my guess is it will be due to potential buyers shying away due to expensive repair costs for all the high tech & luxury items on the cars as they age and are no longer under warranty.

"Many of these Model 3 reservation holders have already purchased CPO's and in some cases NEW Model S's."
That is me right there. My itch became impossible to ignore so I ordered the S60D
As far as my reservation goes: I will take a wait and see attitude. I now will not be in a rush for the 3 and most likely will delay ordering until my wife's Lexus lease is up in late 2018. I am going from a large car ,Yukon XL and need the space so the S fills the bill :)
The only option I may miss is the power liftgate but $3000 is a bit much. As it is this was somewhat of an expensive impulse buy because I could have lived with the Yukon for another 2 years. I know I will have NO regrets once that beautiful car is delivered!

"Many of these Model 3 reservation holders have already purchased CPO's and in some cases NEW Model S's."
That is me right there. My itch became impossible to ignore so I ordered the S60D
As far as my reservation goes: I will take a wait and see attitude. I now will not be in a rush for the 3 and most likely will delay ordering until my wife's Lexus lease is up in late 2018. I am going from a large car ,Yukon XL and need the space so the S fills the bill :)
The only option I may miss is the power liftgate but $3000 is a bit much. As it is this was somewhat of an expensive impulse buy because I could have lived with the Yukon for another 2 years. I know I will have NO regrets once that beautiful car is delivered!
Let me ask a question;

If the M3 was available today: Would you buy a base MS or a loaded M3? Pretty much same price.

I just took delivery of a new base S60 with only two options: Red color & Autopilot. Very happy with my decision for the following reasons:

• Plenty of Superchargers all over the state of Florida (where I live) making long distance travel >210 miles hassle-free
  • No need for Cold Weather package needed in Florida.
  • I practically never used the sunroof in my Infiniti G37, so I didn't feel that I'd miss not having one in the Tesla.
  • My car is for commuting, so no need for the 21" wheels / tires since I'm mostly interested in long tred life.
  • The $1000 referral discount works out to be a greater discount (in terms of percentage) when applied against the lower-cost S60 vs. a high-end model or configuration
  • I was able to see a used 2013 S60 with base seats and >60k miles prior to ordering. The seats still looked perfect / like new. With two kids, I didn't see the need to upgrade to leather, only to have destroyed by the little ones.
  • The base sound system sounds great to my ears.
  • Acceleration is fantastic in S60. I previously owned a 2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe and the new S60 "feels" significantly faster, even though it's technically about the same.
  • Interior materials (dash / headliner / door panels / steering wheel / etc) all seem very high-end, even in the base model
  • No matter which Tesla you purchase, you become an instant celebrity. Practically every day I have random people coming up to me asking questions, looking in amazement, and wanting to just chat about Tesla. It's actually pretty fun!

Let me ask a question;

If the M3 was available today: Would you buy a base MS or a loaded M3? Pretty much same price.

For me this would depend on factors such as storage... the M3 is an unknown and if it can't support a roof rack or other way to carry bikes then it's a no-go for me. Especially as I'm a 1 vehicle kind of person... Now if it supports a rack then a fully loaded M3 w/ a longer range, faster 0-60 time, etc would definitely be preferred.

I was in exactly the same boat. I gave in and ordered a S60 with blue paint and pano roof as the only add-ons. I'm sure I'll enable the AP in the future as well, but wanted to keep my monthly payments super low for now.

I hope the vinyl will last for a long time. That's the only concern.

How did you get all black inside without getting the premium package required for the black headliner?

For me this would depend on factors such as storage... the M3 is an unknown and if it can't support a roof rack or other way to carry bikes then it's a no-go for me. Especially as I'm a 1 vehicle kind of person... Now if it supports a rack then a fully loaded M3 w/ a longer range, faster 0-60 time, etc would definitely be preferred.
Yes, that's an important consideration. I am hoping that a tow hitch will be an option. That, in turn, would allow the use of a hitch mount bike rack. Perhaps too much to hope for, but we will see...

Yes, that's an important consideration. I am hoping that a tow hitch will be an option. That, in turn, would allow the use of a hitch mount bike rack. Perhaps too much to hope for, but we will see...
The only reason we would ever user our Outback for trip travel would be because (only) it can hold the 4-bike carrier we use. I'm not
holding my breath that the MS will ever be able to take 4 bikes on the back.

The only reason we would ever user our Outback for trip travel would be because (only) it can hold the 4-bike carrier we use. I'm not
holding my breath that the MS will ever be able to take 4 bikes on the back.

I might be able to get 4 bikes on the roof... I only have two bike racks on my current rack. But they'd have to be lighter weight bikes to be in the weight allowance... plus would add significant drag :-/

How did you get all black inside without getting the premium package required for the black headliner?

You can design it that way now - I did it on July 23rd.

all_black.jpg

Attachments

• all_black.jpg
    all_black.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 53