Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard braking for no reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my 2 cents, cruise looks at the distance in front of the car but not side. I use CC a lot, no surprises yet.

Here is another observation re: side cameras and wonder if others experienced this: I am waiting on a red light in the middle lane, no cars are moving, but the camera image is not stable, showing my right vehicle "flickering", ie moving right/left/right.
That and also pretty much all the cars the car ignores to show. I understand everything we see on the screen is not what the car sees. Plenty of videos show it is purely software issue since those with FSD beta have a representation of pretty much exact location and number of cars around the tesla.

I had a very scary situation yesterday that almost caused an accident. I am uncertain whether there are problems with cameras or sensors or computer. Autopilot was on. I was going 70 mph on the fwy, luckyly no cars behind, a car towing a structure on my right side, ~ 2 cars space in front, no cars on my left, ~ 3 deg sloped down, everyone moving, no brakes, no cars cut in front. For no apparent reason, I get an audible collision alert and the car did a hard braking. I did not know how to make the car continue due to approaching behind traffic. If a car would have been behind me, for sure I would have been hit.
Similar incident. I was doing 80 on Florida Tpke. MYLR screeched and slowed and I quickly accelerated and attributed it to a shadow from an overhead bridge.

As I reported before, I noticed that the side camera seems to have inconsistent image of car in left/right lane. As our car moving closer, the image of car in the next lane keeps getting closer and closer to the lane line, and the image actually crosses over the lane line when we pass it.

This is why they should still have radar in the cars as backup. When the two systems disagree, perhaps radar is used which would mitigate it.
Radar is considerably lower resolution tho, and cannot readily distinguish stationary objects within your travel path with stationary objects not in your travel path. ie, Radar has a hard time determining if a stationary object is in your travel lane, or just to the side, or just above. This is why many systems will only track objects with a velocity of at least 3mph with radar. This is one of the main reasons Tesla wanted to do away with Radar, because most times they were having to fall back to vision from radar, because of these cases.

Note: In a previous group, I worked on realtime 3D positioning.

Just continuing this thread instead of starting a new one. I have a 2021 Model 3 Performance, vision only. The vehicle regularly decelerates rapidly for no perceivable reason. I have brake checked so many people that I have anxiety whenever any other vehicles are around because I have zero clue what the car is going to do. I do not use any autopilot features or cruise control as a result. I drive with my foot ready to stomp on the accelerator at a moments notice to offset any unnecessary braking that is likely to occur. I get that others should follow within a safe distance to allow for braking, but really. no one is driving in preparation for the vehicle in front of them to smash the brakes without any reason. For the record, a week ago, the car completed an emergency braking all the way to 0mph, in 5:30pm Dallas traffic in the left lane, and pressing the accelerator did NOTHING. I sat there as cars panicked and split in 2 directions to avoid hitting me. after about 4 seconds of repeatedly smashing the accelerator l, I was able to move and launched to get the hell out of there. This is Texas, this car is going to get me killed by either causing a massive pile-up, or someone that thinks I deliberately brake-checked em is going to shoot my ass.

Its because of the vision system. Vision is inferring range, radar is actually measuring it. Sometimes the vision calculation is "off".

This still happens in teslas with radar which seems to suggest its a composite of both radar and vision with vision overriding the radar on occasion. I've had multiple cars with radar only cruise and not once have they phantom braked (in years of ownership). I've had 3 events in my Tesla in as many months. Definitely keeps you on your toes! I have some confidence they'll eventually work it out. It can be fixed via software, just depends how much money they want to throw at it.

My Mar 2021 build phantom brakes on Interstate 77 often. The displayed speed drops from whatever I have set to 50 MPH. I was nearly rear ended yesterday. I am guessing this has happened a dozen times. I saw something about sending a report to Tesla but can’t figure out how. Anyone know?

My Mar 2021 build phantom brakes on Interstate 77 often. The displayed speed drops from whatever I have set to 50 MPH. I was nearly rear ended yesterday. I am guessing this has happened a dozen times. I saw something about sending a report to Tesla but can’t figure out how. Anyone know?
click right steering wheel button and say "bug report phantom braking"

• Informative
Reactions: DanDi58 and Tha_Ape

What you’re describing is a speed limit problem within the map database the navigation uses. It is not phantom braking.

The feature you mention is “bug report,” which does not actually send information to Tesla. It stores a snapshot on your car for a future service center visit to investigate. Needless to say, this is not a bug and using the bug report feature won’t get you anywhere. Best bet is to edit openstreetmaps and/or other roadway information databases (Waze, Google, whatever).

What you’re describing is a speed limit problem within the map database the navigation uses. It is not phantom braking.

The feature you mention is “bug report,” which does not actually send information to Tesla. It stores a snapshot on your car for a future service center visit to investigate. Needless to say, this is not a bug and using the bug report feature won’t get you anywhere. Best bet is to edit openstreetmaps and/or other roadway information databases (Waze, Google, whatever).
If I understand it correctly, what you are referring to is the ability to set the speed when using auto-pilot (to a percent or a specific number over the legal speed limit of the location), right? According to google, the speed limit of interstate 77 is 70 mph, so is your answer incorrect?

If I understand it correctly, what you are referring to is the ability to set the speed when using auto-pilot (to a percent or a specific number over the legal speed limit of the location), right? According to google, the speed limit of interstate 77 is 70 mph, so is your answer incorrect?

I’m referring to the set speed automatically (and improperly) changing when you drive certain areas of the highway - usually construction zones and exit ramps. This is due to errors within the map database.

Example: you’re driving along at 70 in Autopilot and you come through a section of road that has recently had a lane shift or some other construction project and the car automatically drops your speed to 50 MPH while the actual speed limit is still 70 MPH. Sometimes this happens even without recent road construction. This is, from what I can tell, what the poster I replied to was describing.

I’m referring to the set speed automatically (and improperly) changing when you drive certain areas of the highway - usually construction zones and exit ramps. This is due to errors within the map database.

Example: you’re driving along at 70 in Autopilot and you come through a section of road that has recently had a lane shift or some other construction project and the car automatically drops your speed to 50 MPH while the actual speed limit is still 70 MPH. Sometimes this happens even without recent road construction. This is, from what I can tell, what the poster I replied to was describing.
Not exactly what I am describing. There is no recent or ongoing construction and it doesn’t do it every time. Sure seems like a bug to me!

@Big Earl my understanding is that Tesla doesn't do pre-mapping for their autonomy, and that everything is figured out in real-time, fed by the camera data. Presumably this would also apply to reading speed limit signs rather than retrieving speed limit info from a database. Is that not correct?

Speed limits are a hybrid of what’s in the map database and what the cameras see on the signs. We’re getting to a point where it is using the cameras more, but the bad map data still rears its ugly head from time to time, particularly when roads get reconfigured during construction.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Speed limits are a hybrid of what’s in the map database and what the cameras see on the signs. We’re getting to a point where it is using the cameras more, but the bad map data still rears its ugly head from time to time, particularly when roads get reconfigured during construction.
There's a street near me, where the speed limit is different depending on which direction you are going. I noticed the Tesla shows the wrong speed limit on this street if it misses the sign that shows the reduced speed limit when going in the direction where it changes. I'm curious how the Tesla handles variable speed limits, as I know there's a section on the 5, where each lane can have a different speed limit depending on conditions... So there's an overhead sign, that shows the speed limit for each travel lane. There were a few times where I saw the Left lane was 60 and the right lane was 35, with the middle lanes in between.

There's a street near me, where the speed limit is different depending on which direction you are going. I noticed the Tesla shows the wrong speed limit on this street if it misses the sign that shows the reduced speed limit when going in the direction where it changes. I'm curious how the Tesla handles variable speed limits, as I know there's a section on the 5, where each lane can have a different speed limit depending on conditions... So there's an overhead sign, that shows the speed limit for each travel lane. There were a few times where I saw the Left lane was 60 and the right lane was 35, with the middle lanes in between.

The current software would likely ignore the VSL and default to whatever is mapped. Small chance it would pick up on one of the signs if the formatting is standard enough.

The current software would likely ignore the VSL and default to whatever is mapped. Small chance it would pick up on one of the signs if the formatting is standard enough.
I'll have to pay attention when I drive thru there... The signs are actually displayed in the standard format, such that it looks like an actual Speed Limit Sign.. White background, black lettering, etc. Curious to how the Tesla would handle one sign like this for each lane, when the numbers are different for each lane. I'm curious what it would show on the visualization.