Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Reset Model 3 (Cameras not working, no GPS functionality and car won't go to sleep)

koddas

Apr 5, 2020
Melbourne
Basically as described in the title, I woke up yesterday morning to find my Model 3 SR+ with the following issues (software version 2021.4.18.2):
-cameras with a black screen when in reverse, with only a loading symbol showing on the repeaters
-as a result of no camera functionality no visualisations coming up, no Autopilot and no automatic wipers
-GPS is stuck on one location and doesn't update as the car drives
-car does not go to sleep

I've noticed a few others with this issue after searching online and have tried various suggestions (rebooting with both steering wheel buttons + brake pedal, disconnecting and reformatting USB drive) all to no avail. I'm not running any third-party software such as TeslaFi either.

Has anyone had any luck with solving this or a similar issue?

OzVic

Jun 20, 2019
Australia
Unplug USB, turn off Sentry and leave the car to try to make it go to sleep. When it's asleep the FSD computer is shut down too. That's the computer you need to reboot.

If all else fails, this is the manual way to force a reboot of everything. This will resolve your issue.

ShockOnT

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
Jun 26, 2016
Sydney
Thanks so much, the hard reset fixed the issue. I was a little reluctant to go in there and fiddle around with that stuff at first but after watching a YouTube video it was a very straightforward process.
Impressive, it’s not totally straightforward.

• Love
Reactions: koddas

menzic

Jan 18, 2020
UK
Having the same issue, was concerned about doing the hard reset. Booked into the service centre for them to sort out, just in case there is something else amiss which they need to sort.

koddas

Apr 5, 2020
Melbourne
I can understand feeling hesitant about doing it but it was honestly a piece of cake in the end. I just followed this guy's tutorial and it only took about five minutes from start to finish.

Edit: this might be obvious but you only need to disconnect the negative terminal, not swap out the whole battery.

Last edited:

SpaceCash

Intergalactic Planetary, Planetary Intergalactic
Jul 5, 2017
Earth
I had this exact issue yesterday out of nowhere. Multiple soft resets did nothing. This hard reset method worked like a charm and was very easy. THANK YOU. Closest service center is 300 miles away and after they checked my logs they said it was a "strange hardware issue" and that they'd need to check it out. After they said that I did the hard reset myself and we are fully back in business.

Reactions: koddas and OzVic

max-au

Aug 18, 2021
CA
Ran into exactly this issue. Performed a few soft resets to no avail, then went for disconnecting the battery as in that hard reset guide.

Then did the hard reset as in the guide/video. Didn't help, and also while I was doing that, apparently some electric parts were still working (I heard some fan spinning). Gave up, scheduled a service.
Then I don't know what happened (maybe Tesla folks did something remotely) but everything magically started working again. Go figure.

Blakearoo

Oct 13, 2021
Bentonville AR
I can understand feeling hesitant about doing it but it was honestly a piece of cake in the end. I just followed this guy's tutorial and it only took about five minutes from start to finish.

Edit: this might be obvious but you only need to disconnect the negative terminal, not swap out the whole battery.

So I only need to basically do the steps up to unbolting the negative? Then what was after that?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC