Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Reset Model 3 (Cameras not working, no GPS functionality and car won't go to sleep)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's reset for now, although the side cameras still take a bit to load after startup. I did make an appointment with service, which is a little bit more than a week out. If it continues to be alright, I'll cancel my appointment.

This just happened to me today. Everything stopped working (all cameras and Navigation). After two hard resets still nothing. I drove about 30 min and it slowly came back. Will try the battery trick next time. Thank you

The same GPS failure and nonfunctional backup camera just happened to my 2021 Model 3.

From this thread and on google it looks like the same issue has been happening since 2018, at least.

Most people just needed a hard reset (unplug the 12v battery). Others needed Tesla to help in some way.
Some just happened once. Others happened multiple times within a few days.

@Tronguy used this method to resolve:
one way to solve this is:
  1. Turn off all the autopilot options.
  2. two-wheel thumbset reset.
  3. Turn on all the autopilot options.
That didn't solve the GPS issue for me. But I then did the following:
4. Power Off
5. two-wheel thumb reset (again)
6. Waited perhaps 10 minutes
7. Drove around the block (FSD Beta worked to see the road and cars, but map still stuck)
8. Then the GPS magically fixed itself.

As for the rear view camera, The first two-wheel thumb button reset fixed it.

Last edited:
This exact issue happened to my 2022 MYP! No GPS, no camera view, no auto high beam, headlights turned on on default, screen stuck @ day view, car does not sleep. Goinv to try the battery trick and will report back.

A shortcut that may work rather than physically disconnecting battery, terminal under rear seat, etc ..

Either: 1. Change the language. Reboot (automatic). Change it back. Reboot (automatic).
or 2. Change the tyre configuration to a different wheel. Reboot (automatic). Change it back. Reboot (automatic).

This may achieve the same desired result.

A shortcut that may work rather than physically disconnecting battery, terminal under rear seat, etc ..

Either: 1. Change the language. Reboot (automatic). Change it back. Reboot (automatic).
or 2. Change the tyre configuration to a different wheel. Reboot (automatic). Change it back. Reboot (automatic).

This may achieve the same desired result.
Thanks for the tip! I created a new thread in the MY section: 2022 MYP GPS stuck, no cameras, cannot sleep