Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Reset Model 3 (Cameras not working, no GPS functionality and car won't go to sleep)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically as described in the title, I woke up yesterday morning to find my Model 3 SR+ with the following issues (software version 2021.4.18.2):
-cameras with a black screen when in reverse, with only a loading symbol showing on the repeaters
-as a result of no camera functionality no visualisations coming up, no Autopilot and no automatic wipers
-GPS is stuck on one location and doesn't update as the car drives
-car does not go to sleep

I've noticed a few others with this issue after searching online and have tried various suggestions (rebooting with both steering wheel buttons + brake pedal, disconnecting and reformatting USB drive) all to no avail. I'm not running any third-party software such as TeslaFi either.

Has anyone had any luck with solving this or a similar issue?

Unplug USB, turn off Sentry and leave the car to try to make it go to sleep. When it's asleep the FSD computer is shut down too. That's the computer you need to reboot.

If all else fails, this is the manual way to force a reboot of everything. This will resolve your issue.

I can understand feeling hesitant about doing it but it was honestly a piece of cake in the end. I just followed this guy's tutorial and it only took about five minutes from start to finish.

Edit: this might be obvious but you only need to disconnect the negative terminal, not swap out the whole battery.

Last edited:
I had this exact issue yesterday out of nowhere. Multiple soft resets did nothing. This hard reset method worked like a charm and was very easy. THANK YOU. Closest service center is 300 miles away and after they checked my logs they said it was a "strange hardware issue" and that they'd need to check it out. After they said that I did the hard reset myself and we are fully back in business.

Reactions: koddas and OzVic
Ran into exactly this issue. Performed a few soft resets to no avail, then went for disconnecting the battery as in that hard reset guide.

Then did the hard reset as in the guide/video. Didn't help, and also while I was doing that, apparently some electric parts were still working (I heard some fan spinning). Gave up, scheduled a service.
Then I don't know what happened (maybe Tesla folks did something remotely) but everything magically started working again. Go figure.

I can understand feeling hesitant about doing it but it was honestly a piece of cake in the end. I just followed this guy's tutorial and it only took about five minutes from start to finish.

Edit: this might be obvious but you only need to disconnect the negative terminal, not swap out the whole battery.

So I only need to basically do the steps up to unbolting the negative? Then what was after that?

Went out at lunch; everything was working. Got in the car for the commute home and, with no error messages, the speed limit and set numbers on the dash were missing, got the dreaded "autosteer temporarily unavailable" message, too. I have a 2018 M3 LR RWD that has the G3 computer and has had FSD paid for for a year and some, and have been in the queue, waiting for my driving score to improve (it's up in the low 90's, now).
Tried all the various "normal" resets and power downs, no change. Turned off and removed the USB stick, no change. Checked and cleaned all the cameras; they were clean already, and no difference anyway. Put the formatted USB stick back in, again, no difference.
Found this corner of TMC. Heck, I've got tools! Whipped out that 10 mm socket and had the battery terminal off in no time, wrapped up in a cloth. After a little feeling around, popped off both latches on the rear seat, exposed the styrofoam, and disconnected the connector. As promised, there was a big clunk.
Waited four minutes, put it all back together, being reassured that all was nominally well by the big "T" appearing on the screen.
Unfortunately, after everything booted up, all the EAP-style features (autosteer, TACC, and those icons) were still missing in action.
Sigh. Put in a service call on the app, complete with a picture of the "unavailable" message. It scheduled me service - On the 27th.
Darn, I miss my cruise control.
Maybe somebody will do something remote. Not holding my breath, but I can hope. And that kills my chance, I guess, of being another FSD adopter.

Went out at lunch; everything was working. Got in the car for the commute home and, with no error messages, the speed limit and set numbers on the dash were missing, got the dreaded "autosteer temporarily unavailable" message, too. I have a 2018 M3 LR RWD that has the G3 computer and has had FSD paid for for a year and some, and have been in the queue, waiting for my driving score to improve (it's up in the low 90's, now).
Tried all the various "normal" resets and power downs, no change. Turned off and removed the USB stick, no change. Checked and cleaned all the cameras; they were clean already, and no difference anyway. Put the formatted USB stick back in, again, no difference.
Found this corner of TMC. Heck, I've got tools! Whipped out that 10 mm socket and had the battery terminal off in no time, wrapped up in a cloth. After a little feeling around, popped off both latches on the rear seat, exposed the styrofoam, and disconnected the connector. As promised, there was a big clunk.
Waited four minutes, put it all back together, being reassured that all was nominally well by the big "T" appearing on the screen.
Unfortunately, after everything booted up, all the EAP-style features (autosteer, TACC, and those icons) were still missing in action.
Sigh. Put in a service call on the app, complete with a picture of the "unavailable" message. It scheduled me service - On the 27th.
Darn, I miss my cruise control.
Maybe somebody will do something remote. Not holding my breath, but I can hope. And that kills my chance, I guess, of being another FSD adopter.
Fixed it this morning. The thought occurred: What about turning all the Autopilot options off, then back on again?
Selected autopilot and turned off all the enabled options. No autosteer, auto brake, you name it.
Then did a two-thumb-wheel reset. When the car came back to life, the speed limit icon, which had been missing, was back!
Turned on all the Autopilot options and the autosteer (steering wheel) and cruise control setpoint icons also came back.

So, at the moment, one way to solve this is:
  1. Turn off all the autopilot options.
  2. two-wheel thumbset reset.
  3. Turn on all the autopilot options.
Seems to do the trick.

Just tried the soft and hard resets. Side cameras seem to have come back on but the GPS still isn't functioning. The same issue occurred earlier today but cleared itself after I soft reset a few times while near the office. When I was headed home, it happened again, GPS nor cameras were working. After a hard reset while back at home, only the side cameras work while the GPS still shows I am at the office.

Just tried the soft and hard resets. Side cameras seem to have come back on but the GPS still isn't functioning. The same issue occurred earlier today but cleared itself after I soft reset a few times while near the office. When I was headed home, it happened again, GPS nor cameras were working. After a hard reset while back at home, only the side cameras work while the GPS still shows I am at the office.

The only time I did a hard reset everything was finally resolved after the next sleep.