Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard ride with Model S Air suspension

JulianS

Sep 12, 2021
Cambridge UK
I have a 2017 Model S and for a year or so I have noticed the ride has become quite hard. It is particularly bad at low speeds on bumpy surfaces and i get some rocking from side to side. I've taken it in to Tesla twice. The first time they said it was OK but replaced a part (ground bracket?). The second time they replaced the front near side air suspension unit. This made things a bit better but it's still not right. I don't think I've got a leak as the car doesn't "sag" when parked for a while. It's all very mystifying. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

rickyjb

Apr 30, 2017
united kingdom
I have a 2017 Model S and for a year or so I have noticed the ride has become quite hard. It is particularly bad at low speeds on bumpy surfaces and i get some rocking from side to side. I've taken it in to Tesla twice. The first time they said it was OK but replaced a part (ground bracket?). The second time they replaced the front near side air suspension unit. This made things a bit better but it's still not right. I don't think I've got a leak as the car doesn't "sag" when parked for a while. It's all very mystifying. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

What ride height you are driving around most on ? play about with the settings and make a note of which make the ride firmer or softer . For me low speeds in car parks with suspension on very high can feel quite harsh over bumps .

I've noticed the level of competency can change drastically in different service centers here in london . I've stopped taking my car to any of them for servicing , I'd highly recommend getting in touch with Cleevely ev ( great independant ev garage). Have a chat with them , see if they can help pinpoint the issue , also the prices are far more reasonable than tesla service centers .

It might be worth trying out another model S to see how it compares to your ride . consider joining the tesla owners uk facebook group , there is bound to be some one close by that could help with that.

philip295

Jul 29, 2019
UK
I have a 2014 85, coil spring. I greatly improved the ride by lubricating the anti - roll/sway bar bushes. I found it by accident when the lanoguard rust treatment that I used on the steel parts ran into the rubber bush. After finding this, I forced lanoguard grease into the bushes.

Reactions: rickyjb

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC